Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Colonoscopy

PCM

9 hours ago, PCM said:

Well... I received my Prostate Biopsy results yesterday.

All benign I am pleased and relieved to say. ( Just occasional blood tests now... )

Apparently, ( remembering I was under general anaesthetic, fortunately! ) I had 33 biopsies taken.

Now there's just general pain and general unpleasantness in the basement area.

It will pass ( no pun intended? ).

9 hours ago, PCM said:

Well... I received my Prostate Biopsy results yesterday.

All benign I am pleased and relieved to say. ( Just occasional blood tests now... )

Apparently, ( remembering I was under general anaesthetic, fortunately! ) I had 33 biopsies taken.

Now there's just general pain and general unpleasantness in the basement area.

It will pass ( no pun intended? ).

Piers, old bean...

Delighted to learn of your news.

The Pro state-of-the-art bio-spy gives an all-clear!

I feel your relief, dear boy.

Now celebrate   (and don't go running any marathons soon!)

👋

• Thanks 1

Didn't want to say previously as members were awaiting their Colonoscopy but I had mine some weeks ago and it was the worst experience of my life!   In fact I was in so much in pain, regardless of the sedation, that I just had to ask the procedure to be ended prematurely.  I am certainly no snowflake having had 13 teeth extracted under sedation at one sitting  and at another session 7 teeth extracted and 7 dental implants placed,  although the latter zonked me out for a few days afterwards.  I also had my last Transperineal Prostate biopsy under deep sedation  without problem, so I can't understand why the Colonoscopy was so painful.  My problem will therefore have to be investigated another way if it is affecting  the area beyond which they had to stop. 

Anyway, the good news is that the second HIFU (High Intensity Focal Ultrasound) I had last December as salvage treatment for failed Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer has resulted in 3 low and consistent PSA figures this year. Notwithstanding, I have an MRI check next month at UCLH.

Best wishes to others who have had or are in the process of medical procedures. It sure doesn't get easier as we age.   

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Didn't want to say previously as members were awaiting their Colonoscopy but I had mine some weeks ago and it was the worst experience of my life! 

I'm going for mine on Tuesday :whistling:

I don't know why yours was so painful Barry but everyone else I've spoken to said that it's fine as long as you go for the sedation, which I am, so I'm convincing myself that you're an outlier on the scale :wink3:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

It sure doesn't get easier as we age.   

and the alternative is just to " give up " and that really would be the last resort ........... and it will come to us all without a shadow of a doubt .............  having been thru' a lot of this cancer crap and tests and radiotherapy and an op to remove bits and bobs .......  well, when me time comes I'll be ready BUT of course I'm now going to be driving my Ls400 till I'm at least 103  ...  32 years to go eh ! 

brm brm, bring on the 280 horses ....... no empty one's in my V8 4ltr for sure

..........  Interesting that renewing my Driving Licence they now can take your photo and signature from your centralised Passport detail .  brilliant idea methinks, saves a lot of sodding around for sure 

Malc

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Herbie said:

I'm going for mine on Tuesday :whistling:

I don't know why yours was so painful Barry but everyone else I've spoken to said that it's fine as long as you go for the sedation, which I am, so I'm convincing myself that you're an outlier on the scale :wink3:

Can I suggest, Herbie, ( your personal choice, of course ), that it is sedation AND pain-relief.

I was given something to make me drowsy, something for pain(Fentanyl) and something to make me forget - I think.

Gas and air was also an option. Being naturally shy, I've learnt that on occasions it's best to lay-my-cards on the table and share my anxiety and pain-aversion with all medical people concerned. They are always very receptive!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, peniole said:

Out of curiosity. Mesotheliomas are typically asbestos related. Is yours?

Mesotheliomas. Yes bang on. As a youngster I had a Saturday job and I used to have to take the brake drums from the cars blow out all the dust and either replace the brake linings or reassemble the brake drums and adjust the shoes. The dust was of course asbestos and I took it down by the lung full. We didn't have masks as no one new of the dangers in those days. If only we had known then what we know today. I have some great doctors on the case and they have given her a load of paperwork so that she can make a claim regarding the asbestos. I intend to live every day as though it was my last. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bluesman said:

Mesotheliomas. Yes bang on. As a youngster I had a Saturday job and I used to have to take the brake drums from the cars blow out all the dust and either replace the brake linings or reassemble the brake drums and adjust the shoes. The dust was of course asbestos and I took it down by the lung full. We didn't have masks as no one new of the dangers in those days. If only we had known then what we know today. I have some great doctors on the case and they have given her a load of paperwork so that she can make a claim regarding the asbestos. I intend to live every day as though it was my last. 

Just in case you need to know Mike. https://www.nationalasbestos.co.uk/news/can-i-claim-for-asbestos-exposure/#:~:text=If you have been diagnosed,back at a time that

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

I intend to live every day as though it was my last. 

Brilliant way to be  ...  I awaken every single morning and just think ......  " what a bloody marvellous day ahead " ..  whatever the weather and crap I know is before me ...  just make the most of each and every one as if it's your last .....  and " go out " as cheerful as possible 😇

Malc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Herbie I though you had had your Colonoscopy but you will doubtless do better than me.  Originally staff from London were coming down to Devon to do my procedure at a weekend at my local Hospital.   However, this was cancelled twice due to rail strike action so it was agreed it would be done by local staff instead during the week. I might have done better had I waited longer for the London team.

• Sad 1

As regards the dangers of asbestos, this was known a long time before it was widely disclosed.  In fact I can remember, and I am showing my age here, that before fibre and then plastic rawlplugs, you could buy asbestos which you needed to moisten (often by chewing), and then rolling into a plug before inserting into a hole to take a screw.  I also remember rasping a cracked asbestos soil down pipe at my first house and repairing it with some fiberglass. I had plenty of that spare through repairing old cars in those struggling times! Knowing better now, one of the first things I did when I moved into my current bungalow was to soak the asbestos sheeting and dressed appropriately, remove and double wrap it and take it to a dedicated disposal place.   We live and (hopefully) learn!  Sorry for all those affected by Asbestosis, it's a rotten experience that I luckily managed to avoid. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, PCM said:

Can I suggest, Herbie, ( your personal choice, of course ), that it is sedation AND pain-relief.

You can indeed suggest that Piers and it's something I will do.

I'm not a wuss but I've been in 24/7 pain for over 20 years because of my back injury, so I'll happily take any advice that stops adding more pain into the mix, cheers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

so I'll happily take any advice that stops adding more pain into the mix, cheers.

Herbs, had you thought to go for non-strenuous swimming ??  I usually go a few times a week, just 20 lengths / 30 mins or so and find while I'm in the pool all my aches and pains just " wash away "  ......  or it could be that I've just dosed-up on my usual regime of pills before immersing myself 🙃

Malc

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Sorry Herbie I though you had had your Colonoscopy

Don't worry about it Barry, no problem at all my friend.

I'm just looking forward (not) to taking my first lot of Moviprep at 7.00pm. Then, just for giggles, I have to set the darn alarm for 6.00am to have the second lot! :rolleyes1:

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Herbs, had you thought to go for non-strenuous swimming ??  I usually go a few times a week, just 20 lengths / 30 mins or so and find while I'm in the pool all my aches and pains just " wash away "  ......  or it could be that I've just dosed-up on my usual regime of pills before immersing myself 🙃

Malc

I hadn't thought of that Malc but I'll certainly give it a go, cheers.

• Like 3

Hi guys, had my colonoscopy today and he cut out 19 polyps to send to histology.

I'm not feeling very sociable at the moment but just wondering, did any of you have severe vomiting after the procedure? Every time I take a sip of water, take a tablet or have a small bite of a sandwich, 10 to 15 minutes later it comes back. Also lots of dry heaving when I haven't attempted to eat anything.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Hi guys, had my colonoscopy today and he cut out 19 polyps to send to histology.

I'm not feeling very sociable at the moment but just wondering, did any of you have severe vomiting after the procedure? Every time I take a sip of water, take a tablet or have a small bite of a sandwich, 10 to 15 minutes later it comes back. Also lots of dry heaving when I haven't attempted to eat anything.

Could be a reaction to any sedation or anaesthetic you may have had?  Give it another day or so, rest and don’t exert yourself.  Look out for the passing of any blood.  Drink as much fluid as you can!  

I must say that harvesting 19 polyps sounds a reasonable haul - and better out than in!  But you’ve come through it very well, Herbs, so all the best for the future.

I would add that you should have been given literature covering all the pre and post op procedures.  If they don’t reassure you then don’t hesitate to get back to the hospital.  And don’t try to preempt the biopsy results!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Len.

You have been through a lot, emotionally and physically, not just today but yesterday as well.

I would guess your body is sorting itself out...

I wasn't sick but the following day I felt total exhaustion, and a little tired the day after.

Perhaps as individuals we all react individually.

Hopefully a good nights sleep ( no MovePrep! ) and a restful day tomorrow.

BEST wishes to you, Herbie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks one and all for your concerns, well wishes and advice - it turned out to be quite alright, if a bit complicated, because three things were in play.

1. The effects of the Fentanyl. Wow, that is one powerful drug and that's what was making me sick and dizzy. By about 11pm both the dizziness and vomiting just stopped as the last of the Fentanyl got out of my system.

2. The pain meds I take daily because of my back injury contain Codeine, which makes you constipated. I had to stop taking them two days before the procedure and was unable to keep them down last night, so we (and the doctors on NHS 111) reckon that the hot/cold sweats, the feeling of ants crawling under my skin, and being restless were the effects of Codeine withdrawal.

3. I also have RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) that makes my legs twitch and jump involuntarily at night. Pramipexole (a drug used to treat Parkinson's Disease) keeps a lid on it but again, being unable to keep the tablets down meant that my legs were all over the place.

Thankfully I'm back to normal today and all's well :thumbsup:

Although he took 19 polyps out yesterday he wants me in again in 6 months for another colonoscopy to make sure he didn't miss any, so I think I'll try to do without the Fentanyl next time and also do some research to see if there's a way round the Codeine problem.

• Like 3

and when you're up to it .  and feeling a little energised ...  think about going for non-strenuous swimming ....  it might rejuvenate you a little too, give you a little more strength maybe

Best wishes

Malc

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Herbie said:

Thankfully I'm back to normal today and all's well :thumbsup:

Sounds like the best possible result, Herbs.

And the six month follow up is standard procedure and by then you’ll be an old hand at it.

All the best for the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links