Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

scratch and dent insurance, is it worth it?

How many people go for scratch and dent insurance, either dealer offered or 3rd party?

I am in 2 minds about this.  I have seen several offers by various insurers for between £200 and £330 for 2 year and 3 year cover.

Reading some Trust pilot reviews, it seems that all these insurers have a deal with some form of mobile detailer who basically subcontracts the work to individual repairers and the reviews vary in satisfaction.

It looks like you can claim between 9 and 12 repairs in a 3 year period, up to £500 for each repair to a total of the policy limit, which varies between £2000 and £3000.

I always pick up knocks or scratches at some point and usually I just get the touch up pen, but that is just a cover up and if you look closely you see it.  This time I am considering taking out a policy just 

in case an inconsiderate person hits my door with theirs while getting out of their car.  On the other hand the cost for a one off fix is about £60 so you could get 5 small scratches done for that price.

You covered this in one of your other gazillion questions somewhere, I'm sure :laughing:

Anyway, I'll say now what I did then - I got 3 years cover from https://www.motoreasy.com/insurance/cosmetic-repair and it was about half the price of what the dealer was asking.

I've not needed to claim on it yet so I don't know how good it'll be when it comes down to it but I'm happy up to now.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Herbie said:

You covered this in one of your other gazillion questions somewhere, I'm sure :laughing:

Lol, that was my initial thought:lol:

Alternatively, get GAP insurance from ALA and add scratch & dent cover as an extra.

• Like 3

I have found that Scratch / dent insurance is only good value when I've scratched or dented the car!

And I haven't in three years - so that was £300 spent for no known result.

(Mind you - if I hadn't bought the policy, it's a racing chance that some chuckwit on an e-scooter will have bounced into it!) 😉

• Like 3

Me... no.

You... I sense that peace of mind and insurance is important to you. I say in all seriousness, IF you can afford it and that cost will give you the value peace of mind you may seek, then perhaps yes.

After all, we are all different.

I try to mitigate the risk and park away from vehicles, leave gaps etc... where possible.

• Like 4

I guess it depends on cost and how many scratches/dents you get. I had my previous car for 10 years and, although I had the odd ding, it wasn't £1000 worth, so £100 a year insurance would have been a waste.

As Piers says though, it's not a fortune and if it makes you feel better then why not. Some of us pay for extended warranties we may never need, but the peace of mind against a possibly costly repair makes it seem worthwhile. My own feeling is that I'd insure against anything I'd find difficult to pay out of my own pocket, and take the risk myself on things I could more easily cover.

Incidentally, if you claim on this type of insurance, do you have to notify your main insurer at renewal time?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

Incidentally, if you claim on this type of insurance, do you have to notify your main insurer at renewal time?

I don't think it's required, for the level of damage covered by the 'Scratches and dents' policy wouldn't normally be anything covered in your (pukka) car insurance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Where I park it can be a bit tight and the RX is a bit "fat".  I hate getting scratches so I think I will go for it.  My last car picked up a few door dings due to inconsiderate people opening doors in the spaces next to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sybaris said:

Where I park it can be a bit tight and the RX is a bit "fat".  I hate getting scratches so I think I will go for it.  My last car picked up a few door dings due to inconsiderate people opening doors in the spaces next to me.

And folks don't appreciate how long our doors are, and that we feel happier when there's 20 foot wide parking bays!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Illogan said:

I don't think it's required, for the level of damage covered by the 'Scratches and dents' policy wouldn't normally be anything covered in your (pukka) car insurance.

Minor damage is likely to be within the policy excess (voluntary + compulsory) so effectively not covered, plus impact on no claims / future premiums etc.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 6:46 PM, Sybaris said:

How many people go for scratch and dent insurance, either dealer offered or 3rd party?

I am in 2 minds about this.  I have seen several offers by various insurers for between £200 and £330 for 2 year and 3 year cover.

Reading some Trust pilot reviews, it seems that all these insurers have a deal with some form of mobile detailer who basically subcontracts the work to individual repairers and the reviews vary in satisfaction.

It looks like you can claim between 9 and 12 repairs in a 3 year period, up to £500 for each repair to a total of the policy limit, which varies between £2000 and £3000.

I always pick up knocks or scratches at some point and usually I just get the touch up pen, but that is just a cover up and if you look closely you see it.  This time I am considering taking out a policy just 

in case an inconsiderate person hits my door with theirs while getting out of their car.  On the other hand the cost for a one off fix is about £60 so you could get 5 small scratches done for that price.

Id advise you to read the policy documents quite thoroughly before taking it out. There are usually a few exclusions, for example scratches over a certain length or depth, dents in some areas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Id advise you to read the policy documents quite thoroughly before taking it out. There are usually a few exclusions, for example scratches over a certain length or depth, dents in some areas

Do they actually measure the depth of a scratch?  Some say 1.5mm but how are you to know how deep a scratch is?

48 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

Do they actually measure the depth of a scratch?  Some say 1.5mm but how are you to know how deep a scratch is?

I guess in the same way as it’s possible to measure the depth of paint on a panel.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Not sure what you mean a scratch is. I call it a scratch if only a bit of the paint that has been brushed off. If it is down in the metal it is more than a scratch.

You made me think of the phrase "The Devil is in the detail(ing)"

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links