Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 2015 GS300h ride isn't very smooth. Should it be?

Hello, first timer here and also a first time lexus owner.

I bought my 2015 GS300h used just over 1 month ago. It is the most basic "executive" trim level. At least that's how they call it in my country.

Did a pre purchase inspection before purchase, and also have all service records from day-1.

Last service was just under 3 months ago, so makes sense to me that if there was a suspension issue, either the dealership or the 3rd party pre purchase inspection place would have noticed.

The ride quality isn't what I was expecting from a luxury car (and by 'ride' quality I mean the car's ability to "eliminate" bumps, pot holes, uneven roads" and make the drive feel smooth).

I have my 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid to compare with. For those who don't know what an Auris is, it's basically a hatchback Corolla that existed before there were actual hatchback corollas.

It feels as though my much less expensive Toyota does a better job at making the ride feel smoother.

I asked the technical manager at the dealership about it, and he said that I should be getting a pretty smooth drive out of this lexus model, but it wouldn't be as soft as my toyota by design, as it's meant to feel sportier and therefore was designed with stiffer suspension than something like an Auris/Corolla.

So I asked him "but shouldn't the larger wheels and tyres on the lexus have helped" and his answer was counter intuitive to me. He said "no, the larger rims and tyres make you feel bumps in the road even more, not less"

My toyota tires are 205/45/17

The Lexus tires are 225/50/17

So my question is basically, does it makes sense that the ride on the lexus is not as soft and smooth in comparison to my cheaper Toyota?

Cheers and thanks in advance

9 minutes ago, GnGEmpire said:

So I asked him "but shouldn't the larger wheels and tyres on the lexus have helped" and his answer was counter intuitive to me. He said "no, the larger rims and tyres make you feel bumps in the road even more, not less"

My toyota tires are 205/45/17

The Lexus tires are 225/50/17

So my question is basically, does it makes sense that the ride on the lexus is not as soft and smooth in comparison to my cheaper Toyota?

Your dealer is correct, the larger the wheels (and lower the profile of the tyre) the worse the ride is.

The GS shouldn't be too hard (certain the non F Sport versions) but it isn't great at removing the feeling of pot holes. Have you checked your tyre pressures? Maybe drop them a couple of PSI and see if that helps.

• Like 1

@ColinBarber thanks for the response. The tyre pressure is the same as the manufacturer's recommended one (35 PSI)
I'd hesitate to drop it lower as I heard both lower and higher pressures than the recommended can cause un-even wear on the tyre (also they could result in worse fuel economy which I very much care about)

When the time comes, consider replacement tyres that are design for comfort rather than performance. It won't make a huge difference but should help.

Also worth checking that the tyres already on the vehicle (if they have been replaced at some point) don't have a load index that is higher than standard as that will make the ride harsher.

• Like 2

Your Toyota & Lexus tyres have the same diameter of 17" but your Toyota tyres are lower profile (45 vs 50) so you would expect the Lexus to have a superior ride. One can only assume its down to the tyres, what tyres have you got on both cars? My 2014 Gs300h with 18" tyres is better than my 2011 Auris even though the Auris has smaller rims with a much higher profile tyre. I suspect the heavier Lexus helps reduce the impact of bumps in the road. I've got all weather tyres on both cars.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GS300h2014 said:

Your Toyota & Lexus tyres have the same diameter of 17" but your Toyota tyres are lower profile (45 vs 50) so you would expect the Lexus to have a superior ride. One can only assume its down to the tyres, what tyres have you got on both cars? My 2014 Gs300h with 18" tyres is better than my 2011 Auris even though the Auris has smaller rims with a much higher profile tyre. I suspect the heavier Lexus helps reduce the impact of bumps in the road. I've got all weather tyres on both cars.

My 2010 GS 450h has 17 inch Kumho All Weather tyres A good combination John, but probably not available to you.

• Like 1

My GS300h premier has 18" wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres. I would describe the ride as acceptable - firm but not amazingly insulating from road structure - potholes etc. It's not the best feature of the car - the ride is not comparable to Jaguar XJ, for example.

But you'll get used to it. Every car has its pros and cons and the Lexus has more pros and fewer cons than most comparable vehicles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GS300h2014 said:

I don't understand the physics of it to be honest, but what you're saying does seem to go against what both the technical manager at my dealership as well as @ColinBarber have both said (that the lexus are the lower profile ones, which would cause a worse ride than the Auris)
I couldn't say who's right and who's not

I think you misunderstood what they said. Larger wheels give a worse ride (not because of the tyres - because of the size of the wheels)

Lower profile tyres cause a worse ride (less rubber and air to flex)

Two different things but they work in unpredictable ways in conjunction. The design of the tyres plays a part too.

And ride is not just down to tyres - the suspension design, shock absorbers and springs all play a significant part. All relative to the weight of the car.

So there are lots of different factors at work. Altering one or more may have an effect, but it may also have consequences - eg softer (lower pressure) tyres - slightly better ride, higher fuel consumption, lower grip.

Softer springs - softer ride, worse handling. Ditto shock absorbers.

It's a compromise between lots of different factors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnatg said:

I think you misunderstood what they said. Larger wheels give a worse ride (not because of the tyres - because of the size of the wheels)

Lower profile tyres cause a worse ride (less rubber and air to flex)

Two different things but they work in unpredictable ways in conjunction. The design of the tyres plays a part too.

And ride is not just down to tyres - the suspension design, shock absorbers and springs all play a significant part. All relative to the weight of the car.

So there are lots of different factors at work. Altering one or more may have an effect, but it may also have consequences - eg softer (lower pressure) tyres - slightly better ride, higher fuel consumption, lower grip.

Softer springs - softer ride, worse handling. Ditto shock absorbers.

It's a compromise between lots of different factors.

including driving style and ability to think ahead..

My GS is considerably better than my IS but still not even close to Mercedes E Class. It should be smoother than an Auris though.

I would check how old the tyres are. Too old is not too good. 

Hi Shachar,

I've not the same model as you, (mine's an RX450h F) - but I'll share my experience - it may  possibly help.

We bought our car three years ago from a dealership, and it had 4 Dunlop Sport 235-55-19, (made three years previously), and, as expected, the ride was fairly hard, (I had no problem 'feeling the road surface' 🤔), in fact, I felt absolutely everything, and the appalling road surfaces near me kept me on my toes.

A few months ago - and two years research on this forum,I noted that other members had praised the comfort of Michelin Cross Climate tyres, so I had saved my 'beer tokens', and replaced the Dunlops with Michelins.

What a difference! A softer, more comfortable ride, much quieter too.

I draw the following conclusions:

The rubber is newer, more elastic, and absorbs impact better.

The RX prefers Cross Climate's to Dunlop's.

So you may discover that a different brand will provide a better result, but it may well not be Michelins, so seek the experiences of fellow GS300 owners , and see what they recommend

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links