Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service costs es300h

TDMA

First post for me so hello to all. Just picked up my new Lexus es300h in sonic titanium. Waited for quite a while until it arrived but luckily for me Lexus held the original price for me (I saved around £5,000) and I got the new 2023 model. So far so good. Can anyone tell me why servicing costs are so expensive £290 for intermediate and £550 for major. Cost for a five year plan is £1,970 !! and this does not include mot's. I get that its a luxury car and it has both electric and internal combustion and that lexus give you a coffee and a biscuit. However, looking at what lexus do on a service there appears to be a lot of superfluous things they do (wash and vac car, etc) that are classed as part of the service and that I don't want. To put it in perspective my wife has a new MG5 EV and whilst it doesnt look as good as the lexus and only has one motor the five year service cost (including parts labour VAT and three MOT's is £805). The S Class merc I part exchanged cost less to service. Thought's please    

Welcome.

The servicing costs you quoted are about the same as my C Class. I can't see that the S Class is cheaper unless at a non franchised dealer.

Its hardly sensible to just buy a car, especially a 'prestige' one without factoring in running costs. Those fancy all glass dealerships have to be paid for somehow.

Its like someone buying an S Class at a cheap price and then complaining it's expensive to run. It may have only cost them say £6000 but it would still be a £50000 car with it's related running costs.

Welcome to the forum and Lexus ownership. I don't mean the following to be controversial but.....

You seem to have purchased a very expensive car, and then moan about the service costs, when all available information is available from the Lexus website and dealers.

As consolation, if you keep the car for 10 years, you should only have service costs, with no repair or failure costs. 

I presume you know about the 10 year Relax warranty, or didn't you notice that either......

I personally believe that Lexus servicing is too high and more that BMW, Jag etc. £300 to change the oil and look over it for 15 mins isn't value for money. But they are transparent about the pricing so it shouldn't come as a shock.

The 'free' Lexus Relax warranty after 3 years goes some way to justifying the price.

Morning Trevor and welcome to L.O.C.

What was it that encouraged you to buy the Lexus ? It is a question I often put to new Members as the Lexus is significantly different to other marques in many ways. For example it is a marque which will influence one`s driving habits, usually for the better, others often say it is for the relibility factor etc.

You are right to ask the questions you ask. I would not however compare the MG with the ES as they are like Chalk AND Cheese. And I do not think that an average of £33 per month interest free for 5years servicing is expensive.

You got an excellent deal from Lexus when buying the ES and I`m sure that given time you will appreciate the overall excellent deal that is provided by Lexus.

Do enjoy the car and please do contribute to the Forum.

• Like 3

They are expensive but transparent so shouldn’t be a surprise, why not do a service plan up to 3 years for the warranty then move to an independent, you can still use Lexus just for the Hybrid Health Check if you so wish. I am using Lexus up to 90000 miles due to the Relax warranty otherwise I would have considered moving to an independent after 3 years

Hello Trevor and welcome to the best Lexus forum there is and to Lexus ownership. That quote you got for a 5 year deal is actually very very good. You have a brand new car and my superb is250 is 15 years old and I have a service plan for another 3 years and my quote is slightly more monthly than you pay. However MOT is inclusive and a free loan car.

How does your wife find the MG5? If I were to go electric (and I stress if) the MG5 would be 2nd on my list after the MG4.

4 hours ago, TDMA said:

To put it in perspective my wife has a new MG5 EV and whilst it doesnt look as good as the lexus and only has one motor the five year service cost (including parts labour VAT and three MOT's is £805).

I suspect MG are looking to grow their market share, so low cost servicing is part of that strategy, plus there is not a lot to service on an electric car so you could argue it's even more of a rip-off than Lexus.

I do agree Lexus service cost are high, but unfortunately seems the industry norm for the UK at least.  I find most independents pretty poor, so there could be a market opportunity for a decent chain of independents.

The independents and I mean the likes of Halfords Kwikfit etc charge almost as much as Lexus do. Within 90% from what I've seen. 

With a brand new car though it should be serviced at its dealership for the few years of that cars warranty. After the guarantee/warranty period then an independent could be used but one that the car owner knows has a good reputation gained from either personal experience or recommended by friends or family. 

Personally because my car has a full lexus service history I'm continuing it because my car deserves it plus I get great service. 

6 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

The independents and I mean the likes of Halfords Kwikfit etc charge almost as much as Lexus do. Within 90% from what I've seen. 

Full service on a UX - £295 at Halfords (including air filter which Lexus won't change every time), £480 at Lexus.

On 11/11/2022 at 7:02 AM, TDMA said:

First post for me so hello to all. Just picked up my new Lexus es300h in sonic titanium. Waited for quite a while until it arrived but luckily for me Lexus held the original price for me (I saved around £5,000) and I got the new 2023 model. So far so good. Can anyone tell me why servicing costs are so expensive £290 for intermediate and £550 for major. Cost for a five year plan is £1,970 !! and this does not include mot's. I get that its a luxury car and it has both electric and internal combustion and that lexus give you a coffee and a biscuit. However, looking at what lexus do on a service there appears to be a lot of superfluous things they do (wash and vac car, etc) that are classed as part of the service and that I don't want. To put it in perspective my wife has a new MG5 EV and whilst it doesnt look as good as the lexus and only has one motor the five year service cost (including parts labour VAT and three MOT's is £805). The S Class merc I part exchanged cost less to service. Thought's please    

They are about the same as equivalent premium manufacturers

Mercedes charge £1032 for 2 services on a C class - which is about £500 a service.

Firstly, thank you for your replies. 

On 11/11/2022 at 3:01 PM, Mr Vlad said:

With a brand new car though it should be serviced at its dealership for the few years of that cars warranty. After the guarantee/warranty period then an independent could be used but one that the car owner knows has a good reputation gained from either personal experience or recommended by friends or family. 

Personally because my car has a full lexus service history I'm continuing it because my car deserves it plus I get great service. 

MG5 is very good for what it is. My wife is a mobile hairdresser and needs a workhorse. The MG5 fits the bill. It is not a looker but its cheap to buy and run. MG4 is a good car but first models into the UK leaked oil. Built by Roewe in China and re-badged MG for the UK. Roewe have built thousands and thousands of differing ev models.   

• Thanks 1

Thanks Trevor. How a car looks is a personal thing. To me the 5 looks great. You really surprised me saying the 1st lot of 4's had oil leaks? I'm flummoxed how an electric car can have an oil leak. Sure you've got the right car? Roewe actually make a couple of fabulous cars. The equivalent of the 75 is one. And yes I'm a Rover 75/MG ZT fan and lover. Of my 28 odd cars I've had only a ZT and a UR Quattro I had for 7 years or more.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links