Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300H Impacted by the Canbus theft?

Curious to understand is the IS300H also impacted by the Canbus method of stealing it? Have seen a few posts more commonly via the wheel arch but on the SUV models 450H etc

Appreciate its not going to be used as a getaway car but just for breaking it in parts or shipping abroad maybe worth while to theifs.

What preventative measures other than steering lock can we take to avoid theft, if left ungaraged it makes it vulnerable to the opportunists.

Thoughts?

https://japantoday.com/category/crime/japanese-police-struggling-with-growing-number-of-'can-invaders'-used-to-steal-luxury-cars

I wonder if this could be related to the usual large gap/wheelarch clearance on SUVs.I would find it very difficult to get my hand behind the wheels on my RC as tyre has very little clearance to the body work and you can only get behind easily if the steering is on full lock.

Perhaps leaving the steering dead ahead might make it more difficult to get at the system?

Your probably right not enough clearance on the lowered cars.

I guess if anybody is that curious they can just jack it up, but must be a different setup/functionality making the SUV versions a target its a shame really the 450H F Sport looked like a future choice for me but im not so sure :wacko:

6 minutes ago, IS300FSPORT said:

the 450H F Sport looked like a future choice for me but im not so sure

Just use a steering lock to deter the scrotes in the first place.

Hopefully seeing a big yellow steering lock through the window will make them think, "Nah, let's go somewhere else and avoid the hassle of getting that lock off."

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mattk9 said:

Do all the IS300h have keyless entry and start? Other than keeping your key away from the front door and/or in a Faraday pouch, does anyone take any other actions to prevent issues with this?

Try this procedure works everytime for me. No need to deactivate smart entry from the cars settings, it basically stops your key from sending a signal that allows it to communicate/talk to the car. So because your key is asleep nobody can pickup the signal via those fancy devices near the front door.

To test it with the key in your hand try to open the car it should remain locked. Job done. 

To reactivate just press unlock works like a conventional key.

Yes its inconvenience but I'd much rather wake up to see my car on the drive than having disappeared overnight.

20221222_043510.jpg

20221222_045209.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2022 at 2:17 AM, IS300FSPORT said:

Curious to understand is the IS300H also impacted by the Canbus method of stealing it? Have seen a few posts more commonly via the wheel arch but on the SUV models 450H etc

The facelift IS300h (late 2016 MY17 onwards) has CAN bus headlights and therefore wiring which can be intercepted at the front of the vehicle, like the series IV RX.

Your 2015 model doesn't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 12/22/2022 at 2:52 PM, ColinBarber said:

The facelift IS300h (late 2016 MY17 onwards) has CAN bus headlights and therefore wiring which can be intercepted at the front of the vehicle, like the series IV RX.

Your 2015 model doesn't.

Hi Colin, this is very interesting, appreciate the info as it saves me a job trying to add protection/ deterrent behind the wheel liner. Curious how you determined this? I tend to agree looking at the wiring diagrams below. Note there are other wiring diagrams that do show canbus linkages related other parts of the vehicle, which for obvious reasons I won't be sharing on an open forum...

However, reality check is that an 8 year old is300h not going to be on a crooks shopping list anyway, plus unlikely any effort will be put in by canbus hackers to develop methods to compromise any Canbus vulnerabilities of this model.

Screenshot_20221226_184556_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221226_184604_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221226_184622_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maxz said:

Hi Colin, this is very interesting, appreciate the info as it saves me a job trying to add protection/ deterrent behind the wheel liner. Curious how you determined this?

Wiring diagrams, vehicle info and workshop manuals have the information.

Prior to the facelift the headlights were controlled by the body ecu using normal signal wires. The facelift introduced LED headlights - with the left headlight the master which is CAN bus connected to the body ECU, like all other new Lexus/Toyota models. It's on a CAN bus with only the mirrors and seats so should be harmless but there must be a poor design or vulnerability in the body ECU that allows access to the other bus(es) it is attached to rather than firewalling access.

1 hour ago, Maxz said:

Note there are other wiring diagrams that do show canbus linkages related other parts of the vehicle

Yes, the pre-facelift model has 5 CAN buses, and the facelift model 6 with lots of components connected to them. Most are not easily accessed from outside the vehicle and the buses should be protected from one another with the body ECU and gateway ECU being the firewalls between them. So it isn't just a case of having access to a bus, it either needs to be the right one or a way to bypass security.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually had the misfortune of thieves ripping out my front bumper 2 days ago. It's a facelift but they didnt steal it for some reason, have them on video too, takes about 2mn, then they put it back and leave. Called lexus today to ask what was happening and the lady of the phone told me that just today, 4 people called and said that their cars was stolen, so this phenomenon might already be widespread. As of now, no official statement from lexus.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

14 hours ago, kurowi said:

Actually had the misfortune of thieves ripping out my front bumper 2 days ago. It's a facelift but they didnt steal it for some reason, have them on video too, takes about 2mn, then they put it back and leave. Called lexus today to ask what was happening and the lady of the phone told me that just today, 4 people called and said that their cars was stolen, so this phenomenon might already be widespread. As of now, no official statement from lexus.

Sorry to hear about this.

Where are you located Steve?

On 12/22/2022 at 4:31 AM, IS300FSPORT said:

Try this procedure works everytime for me. No need to deactivate smart entry from the cars settings, it basically stops your key from sending a signal that allows it to communicate/talk to the car. So because your key is asleep nobody can pickup the signal via those fancy devices near the front door.

To test it with the key in your hand try to open the car it should remain locked. Job done. 

To reactivate just press unlock works like a conventional key.

Yes its inconvenience but I'd much rather wake up to see my car on the drive than having disappeared overnight.

20221222_043510.jpg

20221222_045209.jpg

AL.. Get A Milenco Steering wheel or Stoplock pro Steering lock.. Any Rank Amateur will have great difficulty Stealing your lexus.. If its a professional car thief However  ITS OFF.....Ps Install a CCTV covering 24/7 where your car is parked I have one and if anybody approaches my car day or specifically Through the night I KNOW ABOUT IT...Cost you from Ring A small monthly subscription But WELL WORTH IT Hope that Helps Sir...

19 hours ago, matt8 said:

Sorry to hear about this.

Where are you located Steve?

Im in Paris.

Unfortunately, im going to be selling my IS pretty soon, i can't keep a vehicle that can actually be stolen by a monkey armed with a screwdriver and a CANbus hacking device. Especially since mine is always parked in a underground parking garage, this was a targeted attempt. If our local petty criminals are aware of this, im gonna assume that pretty much everyone is familiar with this technique. This vehicle just isnt safe to own anymore.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kurowi said:

Im in Paris.

Unfortunately, im going to be selling my IS pretty soon, i can't keep a vehicle that can actually be stolen by a monkey armed with a screwdriver and a CANbus hacking device. Especially since mine is always parked in a underground parking garage, this was a targeted attempt. If our local petty criminals are aware of this, im gonna assume that pretty much everyone is familiar with this technique. This vehicle just isnt safe to own anymore.

Unfortunately not just Lexus - other mainstream manufacturers are also being targeted with CANbus hacking. In fact, other marques are probably more targeted (desirable) than Lexus with a variety of sophisticated criminal means. Once manufacturers solve one hack there is always another just around the corner... Probably the safest option is to get an older car that no-one is interested in stealing!

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Any vehicle can be stolen so good luck in finding your next purchase 👍

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

Unfortunately not just Lexus - other mainstream manufacturers are also being targeted with CANbus hacking. In fact, other marques are probably more targeted (desirable) than Lexus with a variety of sophisticated criminal means. Once manufacturers solve one hack there is always another just around the corner... Probably the safest option is to get an older car that no-one is interested in stealing!

No i know most cars can be stolen, i just meant that there's an important distinction between an actual car thieve and Timmy armed with his trusty screwdriver.

1673081907-signal-2023-01-06-141422-002.jpeg

1673083175-fdp.png

1673083415-gros-fdp.png

1673083547-pourquoi.png

On 1/6/2023 at 11:03 PM, kurowi said:

Doesnt any change in inclination set off the alarm. I thought someone trying to remove the bumper would trigger some or the other sensor and set off the alarm?

3 minutes ago, Notamech said:

Doesnt any change in inclination set off the alarm. I thought someone trying to remove the bumper would trigger some or the other sensor and set off the alarm?

Good question, not that it would've changed anything in my situation besides annoy them a little, but the alarm didnt trigger. I have no idea why.

1 hour ago, Notamech said:

If you jack the car up slowly the alarm will be untriggered. If you slam the jack up as fast as you can it will set the alarm off.
Honestly the best way to stop car theft is to install a Battery isolator switch with removable key (Think jetski pull cord cutoff) yes you lose the whole keyless start and drive but your car is dead unless they find the cutoff and manage to override that.  

Even just a 2way switch to disable the pushstart button is a good starting point. Hide the switch behind the dash or even if you fancy the challenge a 2 channel Bluetooth relay module so the car only starts if your phone is connected to the vehicle. Wire that between the 12v and start button. Even gives you remote start function if you get a 3channel module as it can bypass the actual switch.

• Like 1

Im not very familiar with how the theft actually works but does switching off the smart key functions help at all? We got a flyer from the police in the door saying to beware as thieves are targeting high end cars with the smart entry function by spoofing / boosting the signal from the key and to keep it in a Faraday pouch. So i have just switched off these functions and just use the lock unlock buttons on the remote. But sounds like this canbus method is different? Sounds like even newer models are susceptible 

I have 2 ring cameras constantly monitoring my carpark but have come to realise that cameras are pretty useless as thieves cover up well. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links