Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cruise control - can this be reprogrammed from 20mph? - currently is set from 30mph - NX300h 2017...

Hi everyone,

Probably a boring question but as I live in London, they have now changed speed limits from 30mph to 20mph to many London roads and in particular within Westminster area. It is so annoying because I have seen cops on foot with speed cameras trying to catch motorists speeding above 20mph on large and straight roads. It is appalling to be honest because driving at 20mph feels like we are no longer driving - cyclists are overtaking cars even. Who ever implemented this policy truly hates cars. I also am convinced that it is now more dangerous to drive 20mph as we have to constantly watch the odometer and our attention on the road is no longer present... Sad times really. I feel sorry for anyone who has a sports car nowadays driving in London.

But I am curious if my question could be answered from topic line...

10 minutes ago, Nico72 said:

It is so annoying because I have seen cops on foot with speed cameras trying to catch motorists speeding above 20mph on large and straight roads.

I guess easier option for the Met Police than trying to address serious crime issues.  I am not suggesting that road safety is not important but is that the objective?

I doubt if the cruise control can be changed.

• Like 1

I completely agree and you could easily do 25mph without realising - it is absolute madness and on wide and straight roads, you cannot stay on 20mph - it feels you are driving a vehicle that has a flat wheel or something. They claim it is to make London safer and less polluting but it is creating more traffic, more frustrated drivers, less concentrated drivers with eyes on the odometer or falling 'asleep' on the wheel. Cops surely know this but they are milking this opportunity to make additional incomes rather than catching the real criminals... 

We can easily dispute this change - but with the current Mayor Khan, he is doing everything possible to reduce the enjoyment driving in London. Lots of wide roads that had 2 or 3 lanes have been reduced with one lane, which is the case from Hyde Park Corner to Marble Arch (absolutely insane - now daily gridlocks are happening on the round about of Hyde Park Corner. If you drive to Regent street, you can no longer overtake the bus when it stops at bus stops because they built pavements in middle lane to prevent overtaking. the worst bit is that they also remove one lane to make it just for the cyclist and they put safety bars obliging cars to stay on the main lane. Driving in London has become impossible and in my view is killing businesses too because of the Congestion Charge and ULEZ.  Sad - it never used to be like this...

Something similar happened near where I live in Morden - the limit on the A298 (a two-lane dual carriageway) was dropped from 40 to 20mph sometime within the last year. It felt very silly at the time because nobody was adhering to the new limit, minimum speed driven there was 30 and most people just carried on driving at 40. It didn't feel appropriate, but I suspect the intention was emissions rather than safety as there are a lot of houses along that road. I don't know when or why but it was then revised to 30 a month or two ago.

I don't know what the emissions difference is between 20 and 30 but it may be significant, if you lived near such a road with young children (and especially if you didn't drive) you'd probably be strongly in favour of a lower limit.

Obviously it's a trivial point compared to the merits of debating the pros and cons of a 20 mph limit  😉 but does anyone   have an answer to the OP's actual question about cruise control adjustment, as I'd quite like to know too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nico72 said:

But I am curious if my question could be answered from topic line...

The ES handbook for 2019 states ..

"Cruise control can be set when

Vehicle speed is at or above approximately 30 km/h (20 mph)"

So I'd guess the answer would be no, as it already engages at or very close to, 20mph

Or do you have Dynamic radar cruise control with full-speed range? In which case have you tried enabling the cruise control and then gradually reducing the speed to 20mph?

Personally I would not rely on cruise control to prevent speeding as the prime reason for it's operation is to maintain a set speed, which doesn't allow easy control as traffic conditions change.

I really liked to speed limiter function in my Mercedes which allowed driver total control below the set speed. I believe Lexus have implemented true speed limiter functionality in their most current models?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I really liked to speed limiter function in my Mercedes which allowed driver total control below the set speed. I believe Lexus have implemented true speed limiter functionality in their most current models?

This is true, I remember this feature now. Thanks for reminding us. I have the ES too and I can set the cruise control from 20mph so I am wondering if this could be so for the NX even though it was set from 30mph. I imagine this to be a reprogramming to be set up by Lexus team?

I'd be surprised if it was a programmable option because there's no inconvenience at all in having it activate from 20mph so there's no reason anyone would choose for it to only engage from 30 if it could engage from 20.

Even though this is probably just a bit of programming I doubt this is possible. Lexus cars don't seem to be as configurable as European cars. It seems to be available on Lexus models from MY18. 

1 hour ago, Al D-Much said:

Wouldn't know about the ES cruise control, but on my 2020 NX gen-1 it can be set at 20 mph, and use it frequently where I live as there's a primary school at the top of the nearby "rat run" road.

Lexus updated their cruise control around MY18 to allow it to be used at all speeds. The adaptive cruise will also bring the car to a stop, unlike the pre MY18 cars which just cut off below ~30mph. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, F.A. said:

Lexus updated their cruise control around MY18 to allow it to be used at all speeds. The adaptive cruise will also bring the car to a stop, unlike the pre MY18 cars which just cut off below ~30mph. 

MY15 NX ACC will also bring the car to a stop when following a vehicle, but cannot have a setpoint speed of under 30mph. I have no idea if the lower limit can be adjusted by the dealer. I think the gen 1 NX was the first vehicle in the line up to be able to do ACC to a stop... (Perhaps the LS could?)

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links