Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus "Uni" Wiper Blades

Anyone else had these yet? My local dealer recently fitted some replacement wipers to my car, I asked them to keep the old ones for me as I heard they sometimes get replaced with a different (probably inferior) kind of blade. To me the blades looked similar enough at first glance, and I put the old ones in the garage and forgot about them for a few weeks. Until, the other day I noticed my driver side new blade had started to squeak constantly in the rain.

Pulled off the new blades to compare to the old ones and they are in fact quite different. Here's a picture:

image.thumb.jpeg.ab34ba058ae6d0b4e29808e07754afa8.jpeg

The wet blades are the "new" (squeaky) ones. They are a bit thinner and seem to be more flexible overall, but actually a much simpler design with fewer articulating pieces compared to the old ones. They also lack the metal bands from the old ones.

image.thumb.jpeg.94447dd90e9ef6939c00fb68c6d0a36c.jpeg

And here's what the boxes look like. Genuine Toyota/Lexus parts, but I'm not convinced these are as good as the original ones that came with the car. They seem to wipe okay, but the squeaking obviously puts me off. The old ones rarely if ever squeaked.

Any thoughts? I will probably try to get hold of some rubber inserts so that I can replace the rubbers and keep using the old ones. Anyone managed to get the inserts from their dealer?

Your original ones look like Denso, which is what used to be the Toyota/Lexus standard fitment. They're available from Euro Car Parts amongst other places. I find them to be efficient and silent on my GS.

Can't help on the inserts, but I'd be interested to hear whether they're any good if you manage to source some and decide to take that route.

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.de/itm/255489534014

If you need original Denso rubber to put on the original metal just find the correct length and write seller on eBay and if he has right length the rubber will make your original wipers new again.

The rubber inserts he sent to me look identical to the ones on the CT and they are making no noise.

• Like 2

Yes I’ve had these fitted by Lexus and experienced the same problem. They were very cheap compared to the proper versions. Threw them away after a couple of days and replaced them with the correct version. 
They are made to fit a range of Lexus vehicles also so maybe that’s one of the reasons they are rubbish, as they don’t actually adapt to all shapes of windscreens. 

Both these and the original versions were available from Lexus Parts Direct as OEM replacements. I found the same Original DENSO wipers can also be purchased from Euro Car Parts (in DENSO not Lexus Branded packaging) for a cheaper price when ECPs have a discount going, which was quite often. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for informing me that the Denso ones are in fact the ones to get. It's a shame the Lexus dealership are swapping the OE ones out for inferior blades (though still Lexus branded!). This must catch a lot of people out.

To put a cat amongst the pigeons. I replaced the wipers on my is250 2 years ago with items bought from eBay. Unbranded. But fit like a glove. No squeaks or smudge lines. 12 quid a pair rings a bell on price. Yes you get what you pay for But there are numerous alternatives that are every bit as good as the best.

When I had wipers fitted on my ISF at a dealership they gave me two options, standard or premium. I went with premium. I can't say what's what etc but I've had no issues since they've been fitted. I'll check the blades to see if a logo is on them and report back next time I venture out.

Another alternative...

As mentioned earlier, ive been very happy with Denso wipers for years and would gladly go back to them, but don't actually have them on my car at present.

Last time out I fancied a change and switched to these PIAA wipers, which I consider to be an upgrade.

They're every bit as good as the Densos at clearing the screen with no noise etc, but they also coat the screen with a layer of water-repellent silicone with every sweep.

https://youtu.be/1UvyjrUcSiQ

Negative points are that they're a bit more conspicuous due to them being slightly more bulky than the OEM design and having a prominent PIAA logo on them.

Plus, of course they are more expensive. Although, I think the premium is a fair and reasonable one considering what they do. I paid £40 for mine.

On 12/27/2022 at 3:42 PM, 4969_LXS said:

When I had wipers fitted on my ISF at a dealership they gave me two options, standard or premium. I went with premium. I can't say what's what etc but I've had no issues since they've been fitted. I'll check the blades to see if a logo is on them and report back next time I venture out.

I couldn't see any obvious logos. Just some kind of manufacturer code where the arm connects.

22 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Another alternative...

As mentioned earlier, ive been very happy with Denso wipers for years and would gladly go back to them, but don't actually have them on my car at present.

Last time out I fancied a change and switched to these PIAA wipers, which I consider to be an upgrade.

They're every bit as good as the Densos at clearing the screen with no noise etc, but they also coat the screen with a layer of water-repellent silicone with every sweep.

https://youtu.be/1UvyjrUcSiQ

Negative points are that they're a bit more conspicuous due to them being slightly more bulky than the OEM design and having a prominent PIAA logo on them.

Plus, of course they are more expensive. Although, I think the premium is a fair and reasonable one considering what they do. I paid £40 for mine.

Interesting product. Surely the included screen treatment is what's causing the repellency rather than the blade itself though?

Personally I use a screenwash called Angelwax Clarity which gives a bit of that hydrophobic effect. It's not as good as a dedicated glass coating of course, but takes little/no extra effort.

• Like 1

I've just bought and fitted Denso hybrid wipers from Euro Car Parts.They had good stock availability,were cheapest and on top , currently doing 10% off.

Can't be bothered to try them on the road yet as the weather is so awful.

5 hours ago, Initial P said:

Those Goodyear blades that Costco sell are a bit noisy too in my experience.

I currently have Bosch on mine made in Serbia 😆 pretty much silent.

I've got these Bosch blades on all my cars  & they perform perfectly

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links