Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does the boot lock double lock the car?

Hi All,

I love the boot lock function on my car as I often take the dog out of the car last and then can just press the lock button instead of closing the boot and then locking the car.  However, we have a lot of thefts in our area so I wanted to check that the boot lock double locks the car.  Does anyone know if it does?

TIA,

Ryan

• Like 2

Test it yourself instead of relying on the advice of an anonymous stranger.

Lock the car.

Unlock, open, then re-lock the boot.

Walk away out of range, put the key fob down.

Try opening the driver's door without the key fob (you should know how to do this first)..

No, it doesn't dead lock the car on a single press, just locks all the doors normally. Not sure if pressing it again once the tailgate is closed does - you can easily test that as you can hear the deadlock sound.

Not sure deadlocking would achieve anything unless the thefts near you are related to smashing the windows. The latest CAN base or relay thefts operate the door locking via hacking into the computer system/using the keyfob signal, both of which would release the deadlock and unlock.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

No, it doesn't dead lock the car on a single press, just locks all the doors normally. Not sure if pressing it again once the tailgate is closed does - you can easily test that as you can hear the deadlock sound.

Not sure deadlocking would achieve anything unless the thefts near you are related to smashing the windows. The latest CAN base or relay thefts operate the door locking via hacking into the computer system/using the keyfob signal, both of which would release the deadlock and unlock.

Good point.
Also higher end cars, like Lexus are not the target of opportunists, they are stolen to order. So, if your car is marked for theft, it will be stolen.

41 minutes ago, Mattsneaker said:

Not sure what is happening with mine - the standard boot close button works fine but if i try the close and lock door button it rarely works - just beeps and does nothing?

I was finding the same but someone posted a tip along the lines of making sure you step well back (not sideways) after pressing the button. This is explained in the Deep Dive tutorial as a feature; however, why the closing starts when I press the close button but not the close and lock button, I haven't worked out. However, the tip works for me (most of the time).

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I'd love the boot lock function more if it was more reliable. I've yet to work out what I need to do in order to get it to work every time as 50% of attempts do nothing other than numerous beeping sounds.

1 hour ago, BonzoSPB said:

I'd love the boot lock function more if it was more reliable. I've yet to work out what I need to do in order to get it to work every time as 50% of attempts do nothing other than numerous beeping sounds.

The locking features on the NX are there to prevent you locking yourself out of the car. There are a few circumstances when the car will not lock. Window open, gear selector not in park (P), key left in the vehicle. I have been caught out a few times and had to work out what was wrong. I suppose I should have read the manual! Sorry John (Royoftherovers).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

The locking features on the NX are there to prevent you locking yourself out of the car. There are a few circumstances when the car will not lock. Window open, gear selector not in park (P), key left in the vehicle. I have been caught out a few times and had to work out what was wrong. I suppose I should have read the manual! Sorry John (Royoftherovers).

Locking yourself out of the car is very annoying so hopefully quite difficult with the NX 😀

• Like 3

On 8/14/2023 at 9:39 AM, BonzoSPB said:

I agree that it is a bit "hit and miss".

Some people have suggested that you should back away from the car as soon as possible after pressing the button however I have found that lingering around the boot area for a few seconds after pressing it, and then moving away, seems to work best for me.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Andy B said:

I have found that lingering around the boot area for a few seconds after pressing it, and then moving away, seems to work best for me.

I second that.....the manual suggests the feature was designed that way

• Like 1

I'm new to this lovely car, only 453 miles so far. It is a fascinating learning curve.

The Owners manual tell me that the 'close and lock' button is customisable by the dealer to On or Off. I had assumed, when it did not close and lock, that this was to be queried on my next routine visit to the dealer.

My assumption was supported  by the warning that this was the only way to lock your keys in the car. Hence my low priority and the need to discuss it.

I've just come back from a coastal break where the car was parked on a pebble 'car park' for the duration.  The boot lock feature didn't work once. On returning home and parking on our tarmacced drive the boot lock works without issue. Is there a camera that's in use here? Was the pebbled car park causing confusion?

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, BonzoSPB said:

I've just come back from a coastal break where the car was parked on a pebble 'car park' for the duration.  The boot lock feature didn't work once. On returning home and parking on our tarmacced drive the boot lock works without issue. Is there a camera that's in use here? Was the pebbled car park causing confusion?

I don't believe it is a camera but the pebbles could cause a scattering of the signal that affects the way the system works. Interesting observation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BonzoSPB said:

Our driveway is pebbles and the kick sensor works every time, never a problem...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm close to giving up on the boot auto close and lock feature. I'd guess it works in approx 1 out of 3 attempts. The latest fail was the boot closed but the doors failed to lock. The doors wouldn't then lock when using the key fob which resulted in me having to reopen the boot, close it and then manually lock the car.

It was raining pretty heavily which makes me wonder if the sensors are way too sensitive.

Either way - it's crap!

I don't know if it double locks (I suspect not) but I have found it works pretty consistently if you press the button and loiter for a couple of seconds then walk away. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2023 at 10:39 AM, BonzoSPB said:

I totally see myself in this after 3 weeks with the NX350H+..... seems totally random the way it works ( or not work)

At first I thought my dog-cage was seen as an obstacle for closing BUT since the close button works 100%  i ruled that out...

As I understand it you should move away out of range for the key-fob but still I get it maybe 50% right or else same darn beeping as Bonzo SPB gets

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links