Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Attempted Theft of my RX450h 2020

The plates will work unless you come equipped to deal with them. Hence, advising no pictures. The bad guys come at night and are generally in a hurry, not likely to take their own photos and come back after figuring out the jigsaw puzzle solution.

this topic advise is to get lexus UK to fit them, contact them via customer relations.

Then fit some kind of steering lock or canbus chip like ghost or scorpion etc. That is all we should do.

Sorry Rayaans, this isn't a rant. But I hope you understand the general consensus on not posting pictures.

FYI the plate was developed to tackle car jacking in south africa. It's a delay device, no more. Sorry to rain on the parade but long term it's not a solution that will stick I'm afraid.

I pushed for a trial install on my ES, before i learned of the above, was told not to bother by a lexus employee in the know who explained what the plate is and clued me in to the above information.

Exceedingly disappointed by lexus at the moment.

1 hour ago, peniole said:

FYI the plate was developed to tackle car jacking in south africa. It's a delay device, no more. Sorry to rain on the parade but long term it's not a solution that will stick I'm afraid.

I pushed for a trial install on my ES, before i learned of the above, was told not to bother by a lexus employee in the know who explained what the plate is and clued me in to the above information.

Exceedingly disappointed by lexus at the moment.

Hi Peniole,

Are you suggesting that Lexus themselves do not consider this a "good" fix? I was told that it had proved very effective in South Africa. If thefts do not come down and stay down on RX when the solution has been rolled out, the PR around this will surely be even worse?

Is the existing solution compatible with the ES (I know it is not compatible with all cars equipped with CANbus controlled headlights)? If it is, what have you got to lose by having it fitted (other than a trip to the dealer)?

Cheers,

Paul

Security is built up in layers, like an onion. Each layer adds time and complexity.

These plates are another layer, come unprepared they work, know what to do and they add about 1 to 2 minutes.

Steering locks are the same. Watch some videos on them and you'll see how quick many are to remove if you know what to do. The key is --- if you know what to do.

Stop lock pro - cut steering wheel. 2 minutes and noise.

Disc lock 10 minutes, I've no idea how they take that off.

Ghost etc, can be removed in about 10 minutes, if you look in the typical installation locations and it is there. If it's somewhere else, it could take an hour. Ultimately, it can be removed.

Hence all security can be defeated. It's all about giving you time and making each layer more of a challenge.

These plates will work only until a method to defeat them is found. It's not just us who have the internet! Amy photos will have the internet buzzing with ideas and gangs will be asked to try each method until success is reported. Then it's game over again. I see these as a decent solution for 1 to 3 years only. How long they last, depends on you. 

• Like 1

As an example, there are videos on YouTube when gangs strip a car in a day. Engine, all interior - seats dash, the lot, basically leaving just a chassis. 1 day! I've seen high end BMW m series cars stripped for parts, boxes up, in just 1 day.

They do it because they work in a very large teams of 10 people or more. They don't care if some things get broken, as they want the bits that are with money. A garage does stuff with 1 or 2 people in comparison, so they take a long time. Their goal isn't too break stuff.

10 hours ago, PDM said:

Hi Peniole,

Are you suggesting that Lexus themselves do not consider this a "good" fix? I was told that it had proved very effective in South Africa. If thefts do not come down and stay down on RX when the solution has been rolled out, the PR around this will surely be even worse?

Is the existing solution compatible with the ES (I know it is not compatible with all cars equipped with CANbus controlled headlights)? If it is, what have you got to lose by having it fitted (other than a trip to the dealer)?

Cheers,

Paul

They weren't suggesting it isn't a good fix, they came right out and said it. It is effective in South Africa because it was tackling the different problem of carjackings. Those are very time sensitive and adding a couple of minutes is enough to scare the perpetrators off, have police on scene, people helping...etc. Add a couple of minutes to a thief in the middle of the night is neither here nor there.

No sadly the current plates are not compatible with the ES, I would have tried them if they were. As mentioned by David another layer, but not a real fix when they only delay.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 7:15 PM, flookyk said:

Just advise him to make sure the seller has fitted the Canbus protection plate.

I had mine fitted at the end of September when it went to my dealer for its first service.

@flookyk: Update: My friend has purchased the RX. We asked the dealer about the protection plate, and they fitted it free of charge. Thank you so much for your tip; it was really helpful.🙏 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kaizen said:

@flookyk: Update: My friend has purchased the RX. We asked the dealer about the protection plate, and they fitted it free of charge. Thank you so much for your tip; it was really helpful.🙏 🙂

That's great..hope you friend enjoys his RX as much as I do .. on my third one with this one.

I'm on the fence about buying an RX, having been 99% ready to go ahead. I may still get one, depending on insurance quotes. If I get one, with the plate fitted, i considered ordering some magnetic signs, like fridge magnets, with the words "Canbus protection fitted", and then placing them on each wheel arch when I park up. Together with every other device I can think of, obviously. Any thoughts on whether this might be effective?

4 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Hopefully not a result from the previous two being stolen 😉

Haha ... definitely not.

Started with a used 2011 Gen3 and liked it that much upgraded to a used Gen4 2017 then again to this 2022 bought new last October.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2023 at 11:48 AM, taffie999 said:

I'm on the fence about buying an RX, having been 99% ready to go ahead. I may still get one, depending on insurance quotes. If I get one, with the plate fitted, i considered ordering some magnetic signs, like fridge magnets, with the words "Canbus protection fitted", and then placing them on each wheel arch when I park up. Together with every other device I can think of, obviously. Any thoughts on whether this might be effective?

Hello Kieth,

I would just like to say, sticking notice on the vehicle as you suggest, may well be seen as a challenge to the thieving tow rags, and of course, if they actually check your vehicle out before the attempted theft, it gives them time to find a solution.

I would also state that when you have a Ghost 2 fitted, scorpion or such, they neither supply, or recommend  advertising the fact on the vehicle, but you can I know buy some stickers on eBay.

Seems like the protection plates are also being fitted to RAV4s now although Toyota wants £70 to fit them. Although a relatively small fee, at least Lexus hasn't charged this for the RX (yet?). Hopefully, more of these plates will be fitted and to other models as well to discourage the scrotes from trying, and bring down the insurance!

The following post is from toyotaownersclub:

Just got the following reply (within 24 hours) from cr@toyota.co.uk Customer Relations, so I'm booking it in asap at a cost of £70 for the labour.

Hi George

Thanks for getting in touch.

Your vehicle has a number of theft deterrent devices, an immobiliser, intrusion alarm, motion sensor alarm and tilt detection sensors.  Unfortunately, new theft methods and tools are continuously being developed by organised criminal gangs to gain access to - or steal the latest vehicles.  This is a challenge the entire automotive industry is facing. 

We are continuously striving to improve our vehicles and whilst, regrettably we cannot guarantee that these efforts will eliminate all criminal activity and theft, our design team will continue to work with the police and insurers to develop technology and components to try to prevent vehicle crime. 

However, we do have an extra measure in place that can be fitted to your vehicle. We are happy to provide the part (Protection plates) free of charge. However, the labour for fitting would need to be paid for at a set rate of £70. If you would like me to arrange this with your nearest Toyota Centre, please confirm. It would also help if you could provide the Toyota Centre you would like to visit. If you do not know your nearest Toyota Centre, please provide your postcode so I can find this out for you.

I hope this helps and thank you for contacting Toyota GB. 

Kind regards

Customer Support
Toyota (GB) PLC  
Distributor of vehicles, parts and accessories for the UK

My 2021 Lexus RX450h F Sport got stolen this week. I had disabled the keyless entry via car dashboard setting and the keys were in the Faraday box and they stole the car by disconnecting the CANBUS by the passenger side wheel arch.

Lexus owners, the only way to protect your car is to either have a Ghost system installed or Steering lock or by having bollards on your driveway. Lexus will not do anything. Lucky i had GAP insurance.

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Lexus will do something, fit CANBUS protection plates, free of charge ...

Not an adequate solution, just a delay. They're also only doing it for the RX, all other lexus products of the same years are just as vulnerable. Head over to the ES subforum and read through the thefts, and attempted thefts. Lexus has dropped the ball badly on this one. It will cost them reputation and sales.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dipesh said:

My 2021 Lexus RX450h F Sport got stolen this week. I had disabled the keyless entry via car dashboard setting and the keys were in the Faraday box and they stole the car by disconnecting the CANBUS by the passenger side wheel arch.

Lexus owners, the only way to protect your car is to either have a Ghost system installed or Steering lock or by having bollards on your driveway. Lexus will not do anything. Lucky i had GAP insurance.

GAP insurance is a big con in my opinion. Better to fight to make sure insurance companies pay out a proper market values for any losses

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 5:52 PM, John Walker said:

Btw If you guys find a decent installer for an immobiliser + alarm please let everyone know 

Hi. I’m presuming you may have had this fitted by now. I only found this group yesterday. I noticed that my FB post on the FB Lexus RX group had made onto here.
I had my Pandora immobilisers fitted at my house by Hiten. His company is SE Sincere engineering he is an approved fitter of Pandora & Ghost. His number is +44 7958 127225. I had x2 fitted RX & NX and my neighbour also had one fitted to a Volvo. I live SW london he also does NW london areas. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links