Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hydrogen fuel rollout.

DavidCM

I think he's recommending a Ls400 tbh   🤩  ......  Toyota Mirai is good but clearly NOT up to his expectations with comfort and interior space etc ..  oh, a great whinger and moaner for sure  😇

Malc

On 6/1/2023 at 3:07 PM, Malc1 said:

I think he's recommending a Ls400 tbh   🤩  ......  Toyota Mirai is good but clearly NOT up to his expectations with comfort and interior space etc ..  oh, a great whinger and moaner for sure  😇

Malc

Fuel is coming for your LS Malcolm - good things come to those that wait patiently.

Hydrogen is expensive and mostly made from brown, grey or black energy. This is no way to start using hydrogen for transport no matter if in fuel-cells or internal combustion engines.

Evaluation has been delayed due to our stupid governments that could see there is electricity enough to charge our Battery powered laptops and smartphones so there surely is enough to use electricity to drive Battery powered cars.

Thyssenkrupp in Essen Germany expect to be able to buy real green hydrogen from Canada already in 2025. Germany certainly needs to do better than they do now: more than 30% electricity made from brown coal and what is worse the black below is also from coal and to complete the picture of electricity made in Germany the red is from gas, the dark green in the bottom is mineral oil. So, 50% dirty and less than 20% from wind.

image.thumb.png.6a29146aa028ff17facfd0f4df863087.png

Finland is making electricity less polluting than most other places. 87% is renewable so making close to real green hydrogen is a possibility and government started building one plant and plan to have 2 more built to follow in order to make production in their steel plants green. Hydrogen first to steel plants and H2 to transport. Same plants shall also make ammonia. How far they are is not easy to get info about but they will create jobs for more than 1000 and produce 850 ton a day. No reason to expect these numbers in the near future, but if they can make 87% of needed electricity in the country with minimal pollution some call it green, they probably will be able to get it done.

How much of the 850 ton they are going to use for their steel plants and how much for transport and maybe even some to sell is up in the air as it still has not really begun.

Israel claims that they can deliver completely green H2 at the very competitive price of 1 US $ each kg before 2030. That may be good news for power hungry people. Like them (their politicians) or not, they are pretty efficient people.

• Like 1

Wow... this thread keeps on giving... can we make it to page 10? 😄  

I mean the hydrogen power pros. and cons. could be summarised in 3 sentences... I would be intrigued what is there to discuss for 10 pages, but even I don't have time to read trough all of it (although I skipped only trough 4 last pages)

He's simply whingeing and whining that the H2 refuelling pumps can't supply enuf fuel to refill H2 powered cars , ugh ! talk to BP etc about the supply issues to the pumps and storage issues on-going ............ and there's not enuf H2 refuelling pumps .  wow, we know that for sure ........  there weren't enough petrol stations in the 1890's either I guess 

AND the Mirai only has a range on refill of 650 kms ..... wot's the guy thinking ..........  dopey video, sorry ..  get someone who's wanting to see the positive signs eh !

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

He's simply whingeing and whining that the H2 refuelling pumps can't supply enuf fuel to refill H2 powered cars , ugh ! talk to BP etc about the supply issues to the pumps and storage issues on-going ............ and there's not enuf H2 refuelling pumps .  wow, we know that for sure ........  there weren't enough petrol stations in the 1890's either I guess 

AND the Mirai only has a range on refill of 650 kms ..... wot's the guy thinking ..........  dopey video, sorry ..  get someone who's wanting to see the positive signs eh !

Malc

Do not listen to the fool(s).

He (they) believes that their stupid governments are right and that a car with EV Battery is helping environment, so let the fools be what they are.

Even if they live in a country where a neighbouring country is having so many hydrogen fuel pumps functioning that there are no problem refuelling.

In Europe, Germany has the most public hydrogen refueling infrastructure, with 105 filling stations, followed by France with 44 and the UK with 17, tied with the Netherlands.

In 2022, the EU produced 2 641 TW-h (terawatt-hours) of electricity. Almost 40% of this came from renewable sources. Fossil fuels made up 38.6% and nuclear electricity over 20%. Gas was the main fossil fuel used to generate electricity (19.6%), followed by coal (15.8%).

So, of course, filling the batteries with electricity is the correct way of going green! The green picture I just painted is from a combined Europe, if only seeing what electricity is made of in Germany, then more than 50% is dirty like in coal - gas - oil.

Forget the fools. Do like I do. Press the ignore button and I (and maybe also you) will be reminded that a fool (in my eyes) has written something but I will be spared for looking at it.

H2 fuel is on the way and no matter how much resistance governments are yielding they will not be able to fight realism. It will take a few years before price will be reasonable for the fuel and that is only because governments hate to be proved wrong (which they of course never are). Norway had free electricity after 18:00 till 06:00 in 1972. There was more electricity made than could be consumed from water running down the mountains. Now of course they need to prove that oil is the way to go with all the drilling platforms they have and so they keep hydrogen price on unnatural high level. Like most other countries they have followed the horse they want to lead the race.

Hydrogen cars get a boost with Toyota, Hino, Daimler Truck, Mitsubishi Fuso MoU

By JOHN MAX https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/author/john-2-2-2-2/

The companies have come together in an historic Memorandum of Understanding signing.

The development of hydrogen cars just got an important shot in the arm as Toyota Motor Company, Hino Motors Ltd., Daimler Truck Holding AG, and Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation (MFTBC) recently signed a ground-breaking Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).

The companies will be focusing on accelerating the development of advanced technologies.

Along with placing a greater focus on pooling their resources to develop technologies such as hydrogen cars, the MoU is also a part of the merging of Hino and MFTBC. First and foremost, the collaboration’s goal is for carbon neutrality and to encourage a prosperous mobility society. It will be looking in particular at advancing Connected/Autonomous & Automated/Shared/Electric (CASE) technologies as well as the enhancement of the global commercial vehicle business.

The merge between Hino and MFTBC will occur under a new holding company. Within that holding company, each of the original businesses will have equal investment powers.

The nature of the MoU is designed to form and enhance commercial vehicle development, procurement and development. This could provide Japanese commercial vehicle manufacturing a boost in terms of global competition. Toyota and Daimler Truck will each be making equal investments into the new holding entity of the merged companies.

The companies will also work together on hydrogen cars and other CASE technology development.

By working on H2 development and that of other CASE technologies, they intend to boost the new company’s competitiveness.

image.thumb.png.c9b9531017f63ae2f0163b719051b86a.png

So, Malcom,

just let the fools believe that their governments are able to fight economic powers. Sooner or later the governments will find a way to not lose face. They have some smart advisers that are well enough paid; they will find a way to tell the fools, in ways the fools will believe, that this was all part of the plans the governments had all along in order to let industry pay for the transformation and not the tax payers. And the fools will believe - like always.

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Wow... this thread keeps on giving... can we make it to page 10? 😄  

I mean the hydrogen power pros. and cons. could be summarised in 3 sentences... I would be intrigued what is there to discuss for 10 pages, but even I don't have time to read trough all of it (although I skipped only trough 4 last pages)

Could be you are right, could be you do not want to know what is going on except for the governments publicly made statements that EV Battery cars are the way to go. Could be you do not want to know that Nike is involved? Yes, I know.

image.thumb.png.8199bfb987ad64a6f16120380bb2d3fc.png

First inland hydrogen container ship launched by FPS and Nike

By AMANDA GIASSON https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/author/amanda-giasson-2-2-2-2-2/

The collaboration aims to speed up zero-emission shipping.

Future Proof Shipping (FPS) partnered with Nike and recently launched the first inland hydrogen container ship, with the goal to accelerate zero-emission shipping as part of Nike’s road toward zero waste and zero carbon emissions.

The hydrogen-powered barge is operating in the Port of Rotterdam.

The hydrogen container ship is called the H2 Barge 1, and this zero-emission Future Proof Shipping inland sea vessel is charted by BCTN on behalf of Nike EMEA.

Developed by FPS, the 110-meter vessel will serve Nike and will make several weekly trips between the Port of Rotterdam and BCTN’s inland terminal in Meerhout, Belgium. It is expected that this will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 2,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions each year.

“This shipping project proves that moving cargo with zero emissions and zero impact is possible and we hope it accelerates the industry to follow in Nike’s footsteps and move to zero,” Richard Klatten, CEO of Future Proof Shipping, said when commenting on the partnership between the two companies.

The deployment of the inland hydrogen container ship is in line with FPS’ sustainability goals.

“We have been working for a couple of years now to ensure we tread more lightly on the planet,” Klatten said.

The H2 Barge 1 is in line with the goals of the company, which specializes in offering zero-emission marine transportation services. Over the next five years, FPS hopes to build a fleet of 10 zero-emission inland and short-sea vessels. It will rent these vessels out to cargo owners and logistic service providers.

Klatten stated that the partnership with Nike is a “pivotal moment” for FPS and the future of shipping.

The “Move To Zero” movement.

The partnership between FPS and Nike also aligns with Nike’s “Move To Zero” movement. This is a company-wide initiative to reduce carbon emissions and provide products to athletes with minimal environmental effect.

According to Nike, using fuel cells and green hydrogen in place of diesel enables the company to enhance the inland barge and, via this hydrogen container ship, create an environmentally sustainable shipping system.

“The H2 Barge 1 is an important example of how we are investing in sustainable progress across logistics and transportation to protect the environment for future generations,” said Nike EMEA operations and logistics VP Eb Mukhtar.

The problem with this is if the rivers dry out and there no longer will be transport ways for the ships.

4 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Could be you are right, could be you do not want to know what is going on except for the governments publicly made statements that EV battery cars are the way to go.

You do know that I am not big fan of BEVs right? 

As far as Hydrogen is concerned... I believe it simply needs scale, but the scale won't be achieved without long term centralised government coordination. Basically we need "Elon Musk of Hydrogen"... just maybe not lying cn*** like he is, somebody needs to popularise it to get the momentum going. Strangely Toyota despite inventing so much into the tech doesn't commit to taking stake in delivery of fuel for some reason. Again Mushk build it's own supercharger network to enable Tesla, something similar is required for hydrogen if we want to see it as alternative.

But that is only the consumer side of equation. The biggest issue overall is that hydrogen currently is mostly just by-product of oil extraction, so if the goal is to stop extracting oil (which is not necessary right), then hydrogen doesn't make much sense. Sure it could be made by hydrolysis, but issue is more or less the same - more energy is needed to make it than it contains, so it is inefficient. In ideal world once we have nuclear fusion this will not be the problem, but it is now. 

Until we have solution of how to make clean hydrogen it isn't really viable... BUT the same applies to BEVs - until we find the way to make clean batteries it doesn't make sense, but our stupid government is jumping head first into BEVs and taking us together with them. There are some smaller issue, but this is the main one, without solving which there is simply no point of even trying. 

So it has very little with me liking or not liking it, the issue is simply that it is not clean and not efficient, same as BEVs, same as ICEVs... and what is the point of replacing vehicles if they are not cleaner than what we have now?

• Like 2

Norway has more than 90% of its use of electricity from water running down mountains, more than it needs in periods and is exporting.

45% of electricity used in Sweden is from same source and the rest more or less from nuclear.

Finland has what it calls 71% of its electricity from renewable sources.

Both Australia and Japan claim to be able to produce enough H2 to export.

Just because the UK politicians are so stupid, they cannot use the biggest power in the world to make electricity from and the UK has one of the highest differences between high and low tide there is no reason to say that we have to wait for fusion or fission. If nobody tells politicians what to think they continue deaf dumb and blind as that is the easiest.

Just look at the old river-boats with twin keels, so they did not roll on side when tide was low. Ready to sail again as soon as water came back to the river. Seems to be still made.

The market of the two-keel sailboat, who are the builders?  The market of the two-keel sailboat, who are the builders?

But of course, if you think it is right just to follow what the politicians want you to follow, then there is exactly no reason to continue to develop engines to hydrogen, or hydrogen, just keep sleeping on like most do.

I would assume Norway needs it's electricity for other things than just making hydrogen... and if we divert the electricity, or need to make more of it by using fossil fuel, then we may as well just use the said fossil fuel in the cars more efficiently.

Look - hydrogen is great for storing EXCESS energy, we can as well make synthetic fuel for same purpose, but that is discussion for another time. The key problem is that around the world in general we have increasing SCARCITY of energy, not EXCESS. And in the situation where energy is already scarce wasting ~55% of it to store it in hydrogen makes no sense.

What you saying is partially true - we do have opportunities to make more energy, so that is where we should start, not by hydrogen cars, but by simply making electricity cheap and abundant... and ideally clean. If we can achieve this and say we have excess capacity, then we can start allocating it to such things as hydrogen production, but before we have ways of making abundant, cheap and clean electricity... hydrogen is non-starter. At least not mainstream option. And it is not hydrogen problem, it is problem of how much of it we have and how it is made. 

Japan and Australia can export hydrogen not because they make a lot of it, but just because they don't use any of it domestically, so it is simply not useful for them, thus can be exported.

And I am not saying that we should not develop the hydrogen engine, in fact I think hydrogen engine, or cell technology is good enough as it is. I would drive Mirai over Tesla any day, the problem is not the engine... but it is that we don't have fuel to power it, or the one we have is actually more dirty than what we replacing, and same by the way applies to BEVs. So I am not advocating for BEVs... I am actually saying that we should continue driving ICEVs because currently we don't have anything better to replace them with. 

29 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I would assume Norway needs it's electricity for other things than just making hydrogen... and if we divert the electricity, or need to make more of it by using fossil fuel, then we may as well just use the said fossil fuel in the cars more efficiently.

I am actually saying that we should continue driving ICEVs because currently we don't have anything better to replace them with. 

Norway is not making all the electricity it can from the rivers. They only make as much as they can sell expensive. Make too much and price goes the wrong way, just like we see the petrol countries when they reduce output.

I also think that it is much more intelligent to use the combustion engines that are there as using them as landfill is only for idiots to think of as good. Making new cars use a lot of energy and when we have close to enough already (at least if we take care of them) the reason to make new is idiotic.

Why the same idiots are allowed to rule the world can only be because of lacking intelligence of voters.

I don't know if Norway can make more clean energy easily, maybe they could, but Norway is tiny country relatively speaking. I agree with you about combustion engines... I completely don't buy that they are the issue, definitely not when we consider that at least private cars are mere 2% of pollution... if anything we have just wrong priorities if we start "clean-up" from something that pollutes the least.

Now when it comes to politics and democracy... yes the key in working democracy is educated voter, ideally politically educated as well... so idiot voters, elect idiot in the government... no surprise there... and I would be optimistic and say that 80% of people are stupid (actually I think we would find more that 80% are stupid), so democracy is kind of flawed... the best thing we came-up with, but still flawed. Sadly I don't have solution here - it is as it is. 

8 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I don't know if Norway can make more clean energy easily, maybe they could, but Norway is tiny country relatively speaking. I agree with you about combustion engines... I completely don't buy that they are the issue, definitely not when we consider that at least private cars are mere 2% of pollution... if anything we have just wrong priorities if we start "clean-up" from something that pollutes the least.

Now when it comes to politics and democracy... yes the key in working democracy is educated voter, ideally politically educated as well... so idiot voters, elect idiot in the government... no surprise there... and I would be optimistic and say that 80% of people are stupid (actually I think we would find more that 80% are stupid), so democracy is kind of flawed... the best thing we came-up with, but still flawed. Sadly I don't have solution here - it is as it is. 

You are right in many things, but saying that first we have to make abundance of cheap electricity is a grave error.

If first we have that, all the idiots, imbeciles, morons etc. will say that we have enough electricity, so let us go out and destroy the planet searching for and digging out all the materials we want, so we can make all the batteries we need, so we all can go from 0 to no longer having driver’s licence in no time, and many will continue to drive even after no longer being permitted to.

I have mentioned so often that voters low IQ is the problem for democracy.

I have so far been kind and not mentioned that a leader of a country or government should at least have IQ above 140. Would prefer 150 but that would mean that Merkel should get back out of retirement if Germany should have a leader and most other countries would have none electable.

I must say I do find it rather odd that with our enormous coastline and tides that the boffins AND govt haven't found a sensible, economic and good way forward with harnessing Tidal Power .BUT that won't in itself provide vehicle fuel of course .  coz all that energy would presumably be used for domestic consumption ..  homes. factories and ........ finally those EVs

Let's se how the BP H2 production comes along in the North of England .  I just feel that will be a " game changer " with vehicle propulsion coming forward in some great measure and in a timely way too

Malc

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Malc1 said:

I must say I do find it rather odd that with our enormous coastline and tides that the boffins AND govt haven't found a sensible, economic and good way forward with harnessing Tidal Power .BUT that won't in itself provide vehicle fuel of course .  coz all that energy would presumably be used for domestic consumption ..  homes. factories and ........ finally those EVs

Let's se how the BP H2 production comes along in the North of England .  I just feel that will be a " game changer " with vehicle propulsion coming forward in some great measure and in a timely way too

Malc

You are right Malcolm,

That is what I told Linas. Let us not make electricity cheap before it can be used for a good purpose.

I know that hydrogen is not going to be competitive the next few years, but do admire the companies that are evaluating the engines, funding improving them and, in the end, make them ready to be used when hydrogen filling stations are available because trucking, long distance shipping and transporting people and goods in airplanes are going the way of needing to reduce pollution for rather obvious reasons and for heavy transport, batteries are worthless to store fuel.

Also, the companies that invest in making H2 production greener I find interesting and those evaluating and improving life on fuel-cell membranes (which are very many times longer than life of batteries already) are constantly doing things that were not easy to believe just a few years ago.

When companies like Toyota, Daimler, Mitsubishi, and many other are investing in H2 it is because they believe, they in the end will profit from it; no matter if they now claim they are doing it in order to reduce pollution, if not believing they would profit from it, (meaning there is a bright future for it), these companies would not invest; these companies are not non-profit organisations.

Student team from Eindhoven University of Technology have developed a new process to help solve hydrogen storage and transport challenges. They created a steam-iron process so that when iron is introduced to a flow of hot steam under high pressure, it reacts with the water molecules, generating hydrogen and iron oxide (rust). The hydrogen can be extracted and utilized as energy source, while the remaining iron oxide can be regenerated back into iron. In this way, the iron functions as a circular hydrogen carrier.

With enough information, a lot of things can be accomplished, and we are living in a time where we need to do something if we want to let coming generations have a reasonable place to live. I hope other people could be interested in knowing that as well.

Some people driving Battery powered cars only interested in getting benefits from governments for not having an exhaust pipe in their cars. Some of these believe they help saving the planet while filling electricity in their batteries and that electricity is mostly made from more than 50% fossil fuel where same fuel could have driven already an existing gasoline combustion engine car a lot longer without the need for making the new cars with their polluting batteries, that destroy the planet when you dig them out of the ground and damage the health of the poor underpaid people that dig Battery material out. These rich people that can afford buying new cars are getting the advantages on account of the poor that do not have the funds to buy new cars but later probably will be taxed higher than before to make up for the rewards the rich get for buying their new cars. Some people do not care about the poor working to get the rich things they want. Egocentric people caring about none but themselves have no place in my heart.

In Spain we have had temperatures in April as high as previous only seen late August and September - very little rain and even olive trees have had problems surviving, and olive trees are strong and need little water to survive. To give plenty olives though, they need water regularly. For the poor, the lack of rain means that less olives - making less olive oil so it has become expensive. I know that many care only about themselves and for the rich it is a trivial thing to just pay more.

Last year we had more forest fires in the world than usually in summer period and the trees make some very needed oxygen - when they are not burning.

Do not know what this summer will bring, but here; the tiny island, surrounded with water, where cool air normally is coming to us from the sea, temperatures are a bit hotter than usually this time of year. No problem! Just move 1 – 2 km up the mountains where air is cleaner and cooler or turn on air-condition. Unfortunately, not all have the possibility to do that.

Many places, lack of water and high temperatures are causing big problems; Italy and Spain used to grow a lot of rice, needing very much water. Some claim that dry summers are normal, maybe they could be wrong.

• Like 1

Global warming, super untenable heat in places that don’t usually see these levels ……. Even my office in Delhi last year were just about coping with excess and excessive, almost unprecedented temps at the peak of 50+ c 

Working in that must have been a little challenging ….never heard them complain before   Luckily the aircon works well, just whingeing about the electricity bills eh ! 🥵

I don’t know how all this will pan out ……. even this Ukraine dam being blown will cause some ecological disaster I’m sure ……. But might actually just refocus how that land mass can be better used to produce changing crops …… maybe even inland fish farms ….. who knows …… there’s going to be good opportunity resulting from what now appears a disaster I’m sure 

Hydrogen fuel for transport and cars will be with us sooner than we can really imagine 

The car engine makers and the hydrogen fuel makers are behemoths much greater in competence and wherewithal than Govts worldwide AND as you say, they’re only doing it for profitable trading for the shareholders and to pay taxation ….. of course 

My hydro power Ls700 might be with me sooner than one could imagine even 6 months ago  😄

• Like 2

On 6/8/2023 at 9:06 AM, Malc1 said:

Malc

I am not against tidal energy, but if you look around the world then you will see that very few of functional power plants exists. I think what you find being a reason is usually economic - it would make sense, but for it to work massive dam/dike system needs to be built and it just cost a lot of money... which mostly private developers find not feasible... and let's not forget that with our vegetable country they would never get permission to build, because you know "biodiversity and biofauna and there is one common crab species which may have to move to live 500m up the cost". Imagine protests if somebody in UK would try to built something reminiscent of Sihwa Lake:

Vertical photo

...but that is how tidal power looks like. A massive dam/dike structure on the cost which fills-up with water on high tide.

I have touched on that before, but energy production is business first, environment last affair... even when it comes to wind or solar. All of the calculation of how "green" they are are made with assumption that turbines and panels will be used for their entire lifetime. But they rarely are... why? Because economically it makes sense to replace wind turbine with bigger turbine every 5 years and make higher profits, rather than letting the old one run for 30-50 years and be most carbon "neutral". And there are other associated business costs... but in simple terms green energy is a myth.

On top of that - I am not sure UK is even capable of building large tidal capacity in UK, because over last 40 years we have completely dismantled our industry. We don't make steel, we don't make concrete, we don't have enough skilled workers - so who is going to build it and from what materials? Cement and steel from china I guess and workers from Africa? Because UK managed to make itself unattractive even for Eastern Europeans... and by the way - what will be the carbon footprint of this structure? Cement is not amazing for environment. 

So I think we it seems we can solve all the problems with "simple" solutions, there are other angles to it. Again - if tidal energy can be done on scale, cheaply and cleanly... I am all for it, but I just don't think it is in UK.

Linas, i do understand your thoughts on all this BUT should the UK Govt employ some sensible and realistic Advisors, such as Ove Arup, or even independently someone like Kerry Mashford ..... ...  for whom I have huge regard with environmental and green issues, having helped me develop my then business and personally my erstwhile Green Roof sedum business thru' Ove Arup .....  back in the day when all that was going to be worthwhile ...... some 17 years back .  how time fly's eh ! .......... and economics capsize even the very best laid plans ......

....... then the UK might make some useful headway in realistic " Green Power Build " issues  .  including of course both Tidal Power and even maybe ..  Hydrogen Power for the masses 😇

Malc

Ohhh... let not even start with out government incompetent and outright criminality when it comes to these issues. It is like expecting wolves to look after sheep... I just don't know in this analogy who are actually wolves and who are sheep. So my expectation of them even being able to find "sensible, realistic, competent" advisors is basically non-existent. I actually believe they specifically trying to distance themselves from anyone competent, because that would expose how ridiculously stupid and corrupt they are.

I probably should have mentioned that in my above post - not only we don't have materials, workers and expertise to do it, we simply don't even have capable government to make decisions to do it. So in the end, as I said - only the private individuals/companies could do it, but it is not profitable and they would not even get permission to do it.

In short - it's not going to happen!

12 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Global warming, super untenable heat in places that don’t usually see these levels ……. Even my office in Delhi last year were just about coping with excess and excessive, almost unprecedented temps at the peak of 50+ c 

Working in that must have been a little challenging ….never heard them complain before   Luckily the aircon works well, just whingeing about the electricity bills eh ! 🥵

It is not funny to work when it is hot, so they are lucky to have air-condition. If also having that home they and their families are privileged. In these countries smog and other air impurities can be an even larger problem. Where we live problems are far more easily handled for some of us.

Instead of just accepting what Linas write, which unfortunately is correct, that not just UK but many other parts of the world have handed over all production capability and knowledge plus willingness of population to actually work - to China - due to money first policies, I think it could be good to see other ways to use tidal power than building concrete walls: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_power

Water barrages are effective and tide is not a now and then thing same way as intensity of sunlight or if there is any wind. Maybe worth to think a bit harder about how to be using it. It seems that in October 2020 they still tried out different ways to use tide in Roosevelt Island.

File:VerdantPower 22Oct2020 RooseveltIsland.jpg

The mess we have brought ourselves in and our dependency on energy can probably only be solved with nuclear technology no matter how problematic it can / will be to keep the left-over from making the energy so they are not used for bad purposes. My old hippie friends would never have expected me to say such.

I read about tidal power in a book when I was very young about this character: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Askeladden  - from where the author of the book had the idea was not mentioned but it must have been long ago as the book mentioning it was written around 1840; think the plot was, as I remember it:

lazy people get great ideas in order not to have to do hard work.

image.thumb.png.1730babd6bed6a65b270cd3516e11de2.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mincey said:

Hydrogen class at Le Mans in 2026! 

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=2038179

I do hope they've sorted out filling stations by then.

I thought they were to reveal this tomorrow before the race. Knew since they started preparing the Corolla for 24-hour racing that they had plans for Le Mans. Actually, hoped they would get permission to have some kind of test car opening first round of the race tomorrow. Will have to wait and see what will happen tomorrow.

Cars that can be run at speeds like in this race for 24 hours are cars that can last a long time with speeds that are permitted on public roads. Many things can be learned when technic is tested to the limit.

https://www.24h-lemans.com/en

image.thumb.png.1db7f732bc80085a8f2fad1a8ec2852c.png

• Like 1

Toyota unveils GR H2 Racing Concept

image.thumb.png.ca21e093551348e7b07e6db7cc9be58c.png

By ERIN KILGORE                   https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/author/erin-2-2-2-2-2/

In 2026, the 24 Hours of Le Mans will start permitting hydrogen race cars to participate.

Despite low hydrogen passenger vehicle sales, Toyota is pushing forward with the technology, and has unveiled its latest GR H2 Racing Concept as a part of that effort, showing off the vehicle at the Circuit de la Sarthe in western France just before the 2023 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The hydrogen-powered car was announced by the automaker’s chairperson, Akio Toyoda.

Toyota didn’t release any of the GR H2 Racing Concept’s technical specs at the time of the unveiling. The hydrogen engine prototype was essentially announced by name, without any additional information. What is known is that it is 5,100 millimeters long and 2,050 millimeters wide. As such, it is both longer and wider than the LMP1-H Le Mans Prototype from Toyota, though only slightly. That latter design’s prototype is 4,650 millimeters long and 1,900 millimeters wide.

The automaker did confirm that the race car will be powered by a combination hydrogen engine and hybrid system. That said, everything else under the hood has remained in the dark.

Aside from technical specs, it is known that Toyota will be racing a hydrogen powered vehicle at the 2026 24 Hours of Le Mans. This decision was made after the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) confirmed that H2 combustion and fuel cell race cars would both be permitted at that year’s event. The ACO has predicted that all competing cars will feature some form of H2 powertrain by the close of this decade.

Toyota firmly believes in the performance of its GR H2 Racing Concept and hydrogen cars in general.

“Le Mans is a place we can push boundaries and realize the future. My goal is to reach carbon neutrality without compromising the speed or excitement of racing,” said Akio Toyota at the debut of the GR H2 Racing Concept car.

image.thumb.png.921cf456b4039ef208ea4aee7e35ab86.png

“I wouldn’t invest in this technology if I didn’t think we could win with it… Hydrogen is not just about zero emissions but a truly exciting technology: it delivers sound, torque, and dynamics. It is all of these things.”

H2 Collaboration

Since the third round of the 2021 racing season Toyota has been using a Corolla with a hydrogen engine in the Super Taikyu series.

The GR H2 Racing Concept will be developed as a full race car for L3 Mans, as a part of a collaboration between the automaker’s Higashi Fuji research facility and its Toyota Gazoo Racing Europe in Cologne.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links