Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

NX350h - bulge in tyre

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

If it was me Id be removing all 4 when they wear out and replacing them with normal tyres. 

I would too but remember you won't have a jack or spare wheel/repair gel so you might want to make provision for these.

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

If it was me Id be removing all 4 when they wear out and replacing them with normal tyres. 

I did toy with that idea but in the end I decided against it as there is no place in the car for a spare. And although I can't recall having more than 1 or 2 punctures in my 35 years of driving I just know that if I had replaced all 4 with normal tyres, it wouldn't be long before I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with a puncture waiting ages for the RAC with the grandkids in the back.

Anyway, tyre now replaced.

£274 poorer. Currently checking out how to make a claim to the local council for pothole damage compensation (but not optimistic on my chances of success).

Thanks to everyone on here for all the advice.

6 minutes ago, Andy B said:

Currently checking out how to make a claim to the local council for pothole damage compensation (but not optimistic on my chances of success).

They will only be liable if the pothole has been reported to them and around here that has to have been at least 24hrs previous to the when the damage occured 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Andy B said:

Anyway, tyre now replaced.

Firstly, well done for spotting it!

Was any diagnosis offered?  There certainly seemed to be a scuff mark running from the bulging area and signs of the bead shifting away from the rim.

But any signs of damage to the inner plies or the rim?  A report by the tyre retailer confirming damage and the need to fit a replacement, will support your claim.  And if you can keep the tyre, so much the better.

• Like 1

To be honest Len, the fitter I went to (not my local one but the only one in the surrounding area that could supply the correct tyre in 24 hours) hardly spoke a word of English and wasn't very forthcoming so I didn't push for any "post match analysis" 😗

The alloy wheel itself appears to be ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

They will only be liable if the pothole has been reported to them and around here that has to have been at least 24hrs previous to the when the damage occured 

Yeah, I saw that clause listed on the council website.

Seems crazy that if I'm traveling down a road that I've never been on before and hit a pothole that obviously I wasn't aware of, I would need to rely on someone else having gone to all the trouble to report it beforehand. 

2 hours ago, Andy B said:

Yeah, I saw that clause listed on the council website.

Seems crazy that if I'm traveling down a road that I've never been on before and hit a pothole that obviously I wasn't aware of, I would need to rely on someone else having gone to all the trouble to report it beforehand. 

Yes  but if the council isn't aware of the the pothole how can they repair it?

Problem is there is no preventative maintenance anymore, no one from the council driving each road checking condition ... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Yes  but if the council isn't aware of the the pothole how can they repair it?

Problem is there is no preventative maintenance anymore, no one from the council driving each road checking condition ... 

Peter  here (north Hampshire) we do have an operative driving around and sitting in lay-bys.Unfortunately Hampshire CC haven't yet issued him with a Labrador and white stick ,as potholes appear at an alarming rate and only a very tiny number get repaired.

• Like 1

I have never known UK roads as bad as they currently are and likely to be for years to come.  When you consider this situation coupled with low profile tyres, it is not surprising that damage to these and often to rims also is more prevalent.

Many years ago when I had my first car, a Morris 1000, which I ran on a very limited budget, I found a bulge larger than than the one pictured in two of the tyres, and this was when the roads were comparatively good.  I had not long previously fitted cross ply retreads not knowing better at the time.  I am fairly certain that retreads  were banned for cars years ago (along with the greater adoption of radials), although lorries seem  permitted to use them still. Lesson learnt and thereafter always fitted premium tyres.  Had a few punctures but never a bulge since, although I did have a blow out once due to hitting a rock on snow covered road.

• Sad 1

Other possible causes are manufacturing defects, “kerbing” of the wheel although I would in this case expect rim damage also and finally driving up onto and off curbs other than dropped kerbs.

Regarding potholes I reported a cluster of them to the local authority wrongly thinking that one report would cover them all. Out of 4 within 0.5 metres of each other they repaired just one of them. 
It was only after further communication they returned to complete the job.

7 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

they repaired just one of them. 

locally here, especially yesterday out on a sunshine country road tour .  came across a few 4 Way Traffic light controlled roadworks at junctions etc .  nay a workman in sight tho' sadly 

AND I'm quite convinced it's a new highway safety measure, leaving road mending stuff in place for ages, to bring speed down and engage with much needed Road safety

Traffic Qs and Roadworks impeding traffic flow are simply doing a great job in enhancing Road Safety

Malc

...........  and if I was ever to get a replacement car I would always carry a spare wheel of some style AND a jack

My son-in-law out with the family the other weekend in his Arbath hit a pothole and had to call the RAC to get them, eventually,  to find an open garage selling tyres that weekend day ......  took many many hours from the family day out to fix the problem and shed loads of £££££ ..  his tube of instant tyre fix foam wasn't going to sort out the issue

Motto ... whatever space you have, do indeed get a spare wheel and a jack

Malc

• Like 1

8 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Purely out of curiosity do you still get the toolkit with a couple of spanner’s, 2 way screwdriver and the famous Lexus torch in the newer cars?

All I got was a two-screwdriver. No spanners, no torch, not even a jack!

• Sad 3

On 4/26/2023 at 6:43 PM, Harrier Man said:

All I got was a two-screwdriver. No spanners, no torch, not even a jack!

and the likely purpose of the two screwdrivers is  ...............  ???

Malc

6 hours ago, Malc1 said:

and the likely purpose of the two screwdrivers is  ...............  ???

Malc

I got one screwdriver. I assume it is to lever off the plastic cover over the towing eye socket.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, hintonwood said:

I got one screwdriver. I assume it is to lever off the plastic cover over the towing eye socket.

My post should have read two-way screwdriver. You can pull out and reverse the metal part to give you a Phillip's screwdriver. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links