Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does the TPMS warning light refer to anything else?

Hi everybody.

2 years ago I had problems with a tyre sensor and got it fixed at great expense by Lexus. So I know that I can only get things sorted by Lexus as they are the only ones with the right equipment.

So....now I got the light on again. Checked the pressures and all are OK. Lexus wanted £216 just to look at it, then whatever it costs to fix. No way!! I'll find out some other way.

The reset button didn't work, so I got to thinking about the time I got an engine warning light when it actually meant several things, usually Lambada, which in my case turned out to be a pin hole leak in the exhaust system. Is this a similar issue, as I just found out that the screen washer pump isn't working? I'm too old (80) to crawl around to check the fuse, so here's the question...  does anyone think that the tyre warning light can mean more than just an issue with the TPMS? 

(I've got the car booked in to fix the pump or the fuse)

I don't know for sure but I would be surprised if it referred to anything other than tyre pressures.

Check pressure in all 4 running tyres and also the spare and if that doesn't do it, I reckon it'll be one or more of the batteries in the sensor(s) that needs changing.

• Like 2

I think Herbs has the answer.

The working life of the sensors is reckoned to be 5 - 10 years, depending on usage.  So if these are the originals then they have done well.

I suggest you get a replacement quote from a good tyre retailer, to compare with a Lexus dealer.  When I had one replaced, it cost me £65 including fitting.  You could just find out if it’s only one that is failing, but it’s more effective to replace the set if they’re the same vintage.

Maybe consider the state of the tyres if you’re getting this done, as they have to be removed anyway so refitting new ones could be a good move.

mmmm thanks chaps. I remember 2 years ago changing one of the sensors, and couldn't find any garage/tyre fitter able to re-programme to the car. I had to go to Lexus. But I'm still suspicious that it may be the washer, as the washer has no warning light of it's own. I shall wait till it's fixed and see if I'm right or wrong.

Thanks again

I'd be surprised if such a safety related warning also referred to anything else. Imagine driving down the motorway and the light came on. Do you stop when safe to do so and check your tyres? Or do you continue 'cos it might be "something else"?

• Like 3

I’ve used Carista obd to register my is300 tpms I think the GS is compatible but you would have to confirm it. The dongle is £34.99 at the moment with a month subscription included which is needed to register the tpms. Once plugged in to your obd port and connected to a smartphone or iPad it will let you see if there are any faults with the tpms. 

I bought a new sensor from lexuspartsdirect and programmed it before getting it fitted by my local tyre place. Once fitted it showed the tyre pressure straight away. My local Toyota garage couldn’t or wouldn’t recode them said Lexus had to do it (70 mile round trip)

To be honest I would ignore it until the time comes to replace the tyres, as probably half the price of replacing the sensor is to take tyre, on off, rebalance the wheel.

TPMS light is definitely not linked to anything else, as it would be quite useless if that would be the case. Washer fluid comes as warning on the mini-screen on the dash... as well it is annoying as hell as it keeps popping-up and beeping every 1 min. 

2 hours ago, Bob99 said:

I’ve used Carista obd to register my is300 tpms I think the GS is compatible but you would have to confirm it.

Carista would not be GS mk3 compatible. TechSteam can program the sensors. I am not aware of any OBD2 dongles that could do it. 

• Like 1

As others here have said its unlikely to be anything else and is related to either incorrect pressure or a failed sensor. The sensors are sealed and need to be replaced although hacks are available online on how to change the Battery if you want to go down that route. 

My recommendation would be to ignore it (as long as you check the tyre pressure regularly) until your tyres need changing and get a new set of sensors for all wheels at that time if you plan to keep the car long. If one sensor failed its likely that the other ones are due as well and will fail sooner or later. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all your input chaps. I'm grateful, and I guess I'll just ignore it for now. We do very few miles a year, and the tyres are good, so it's solid decision.

£216 to tell me a sensor has gone. It's hard to love Lexus isn't it?

Cheers

• Like 1

The TPMS warning on my 2014 IS300h not only illuminates when the pressures are too low but also when too high. So, for example, if I don't lower the tyre pressure after the winter, to compensate for the warmer weather, then a long motorway/A road journey will set off the over pressure warning. Like most, my initial thought was of a puncture, but a quick pressure check confirmed the tyre pressures were 39-40 PSI.

11 hours ago, tanimbar said:

The TPMS warning on my 2014 IS300h not only illuminates when the pressures are too low but also when too high. So, for example, if I don't lower the tyre pressure after the winter, to compensate for the warmer weather, then a long motorway/A road journey will set off the over pressure warning. Like most, my initial thought was of a puncture, but a quick pressure check confirmed the tyre pressures were 39-40 PSI.

This is trim specific - lower trims only shows warning, higher trims shows pressure of each tyre, so you know whenever it is under or over pressure and which tyre it is for. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried putting in the correct air presure then pressing the TMPS reset button located in the driver footwell

You can refer to this video:

0:25 shows you location of it

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

My Tpms is working but if the batteries died id be interested in finding out if theres a tpms delete because i dont want to spend £200+ replacing the units when I can just check the pressures myself like the old days. 

Your car being first registered after 2012 is legally required to have working TPMS

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Your car being first registered after 2012 is legally required to have working TPMS

Thanks for the info. I’ve got a Jazz, 2013, without them. Not import.

Is there some exception to the rule do you know?

22 hours ago, matt8 said:

Thanks for the info. I’ve got a Jazz, 2013, without them. Not import.

Is there some exception to the rule do you know?

Dont think there are exceptions. Is there a possibility that the previous owner removed them? Or did they just not come with tpms? Apparently if your car is fitted with tpms then it should be working correctly if the dash light is illuminated you can receive a PCN or fail your MOT.  This is news to me too. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links