Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problems with MOT should I buy?

Hi Guys, an colleague is selling a Lexus IS220D 2006 with 90k miles, He bought it 1.5 years ago and says the car has always been good and has never had any problems.

But the MOT failed and that made me worried thinking about, what do you think?

Failed - Vehicle Smart MOT data for LEXUS

Failures:
• Rear Brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii)) - DANGEROUS
• Supplementary restraint system warning lamp indicates a fault (7.1.6 (a)) - MAJOR
• Offside Rear Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick (1.1.13 (a) (ii)) - DANGEROUS

Advisories:
• Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
• Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
• Nearside Rear Vehicle structure or chassis corroded within 30cm of a mounting, but not seriously affecting overall security (6.2.2 (d) (i))
• Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
• Rear Anti-roll bar corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
• Offside Rear Vehicle structure or chassis corroded within 30cm of a mounting, but not seriously affecting overall security (6.2.2 (d) (i))
• Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
• Front Anti-roll bar corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))

Pass with Advisories - Vehicle Smart MOT data for LEXUS

Advisories:
• Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
• Offside Rear Vehicle structure or chassis corroded within 30cm of a mounting, but not seriously affecting overall security (6.2.2 (d) (i))
• Front Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
• Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
• Nearside Rear Vehicle structure or chassis corroded within 30cm of a mounting, but not seriously affecting overall security (6.2.2 (d) (i))
• Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
• Rear Oil leak, but not excessive  final driver (8.4.1 (a) (i))

He says there were no leaks in the previous MOT when it failed 1 month before, but as he didn't fix the problems with the MOT tester he added more problems.

As I'm not from the UK this is all new to me so I'm a bit worried about all this, do you think it's worth it?

I drove the car, and apparently everything is ok, no noises or problems, it starts and works right away.

Sorry for the poor English, it's not my first language. Thanks

• Like 1

My first advise - avoid IS220d overall. If you want to know more details just read few pages on this forum and you will know why. In short they are very unreliable and that is the reason why they are cheap. People make big mistake thinking that Lexus/Toyota are reliable, hence all the cars they made are reliable, but that is not the case with IS220d.

As far as advisories and failed MOT go... I would say your colleague doesn't sound like the most genuine seller, either he has no clue about the cars or he is disingenuous about the condition.

I would focus primarily on the rear brake issues - if "Rear Brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened", then the car had to be driven in very poor condition for very very long time, it does not happen overnight. Together with low brake pad fault I would assume sticking calliper in the rear. In itself is not really that bad, sticking callipers are common on Lexus (IS250, IS220d and all other cars using that design of calliper), however if he didn't notice that, then what else he didn't notice?

SRS fault indicates there is an issue with airbag, so it could be caused as result of accident, in either case this is unusual and could be expensive to repair. 

The calliper issues not going to be very expensive to fix - I reckon 2x new callipers (the actually all remanufactured) £140, 2x discs £50, set of pads £50 and maybe £80 labour. So you looking at £320. SRS fault could be anything, basically needs codes scanned and investigated... it could be a lose wire or blown fuse, or it may require SRS module or airbag replaced so it could be £10 or it could be £1000. 

The advisories are nothing special... surface rust mostly and on suspension components, which is common on these cars. Potentially cars was living in salty environment, rarely cleaned and that is the result, quite common overall. 

He says there were no leaks in the previous MOT when it failed 1 month before, but as he didn't fix the problems with the MOT tester he added more problems.

This doesn't make sense. But I guess what you/he means - he failed MOT because of to 2 Dangerous and 1 Major fault, then he fixed only those faults and got the car retested. As he only fixed the faults and didn't fix advisories the MOT centre marked the same advisories again. Generally MOT testers cannot add new problems that were not previously identified on failed MOT. 

To be fair to him here - there isn't much he could have done about the advisories... Sure if it would have been myself... I would have at least attempted to clean what is possible to clean brake pipes, there is no advisory for front disks so presumably he replaced those? and the rest of advisories are just general surface rust under the car - not much you can do about it.

• Like 5

Quite frankly - don't touch this car with a bargepole. 

And avoid diesels anyway - more and more cities will be banning them or charging stupid daily fees. Soon you won't be able to drive anywhere in one.

• Like 5

I woud run a mile!

The fact that he allowed the brakes to get so bad is not a good sign, but they can be easily fixed. However, there are multiple areas of corrosion which, whilst not an MOT failure yet, could soon become one if not (expensively) cleaned up and treated.

Rust doesn't go away, it gets progressivelyy worse. In my experience, once it gets to the stage this one's at then you'll be forever having to deal with it at each MOT. Chances are there's also more corrosion in the sills and wheel arches and places you can't see. My previous car had far fewer corrosion advisories and it cost me a lot each year to keep patching it up. It was a shame, as it drove like new

Walk away, there are much better cars out there.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MEFC said:

But the MOT failed and that made me worried thinking about, what do you think?

I think it's the end of the road for this car and shame on the seller for trying to sell a car in such a condition.

• Like 1

I got £350 for my 2006 220D when I scrapped it as the head gasket had gone. Bought for £1,475.00. 

They are not worth investing in. I had bought a matching spare alloy, replaced the AC condenser, aftermarket nissens brand and got the AC working. 3 months before HG went fitted 4x new Avon 7v7 tyres. 205/55/16 if memory right. New drive belt/auxillary. 

I got 19 months out of it. It was high mileage when scrapped around 187,000 miles, but had full independent service history and impeccable MOT history.  but HG can go at anytime.

James.

Lexus.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As others have said, don't walk away from it but run away from it as fast as you can.

The IS220D was the worst car ever produced by Lexus anyway, and that's before you even begin with the MOT results!

• Haha 1

If you really like the shape and size of a 220D buy an is 250 Auto.

Much better as not diesel. I liked the comfort, safety and solidness of the 220D but the turbo lag, mismatched gearbox was on another level. Liked driving my 1996 Volvo 940 Auto low pressure Turbo petrol. Still own it. On 208,000 miles and drives great.

James. 

As well there is an option GS300, little bit divisive look, didn't aged as well, but all in all cheaper insurance, same road tax, little bit more power and little bit less fuel efficient in the city. But you can get one for £2000, whereas auto IS250 is really hard to get below £3000. Obviously that are the prices on low-end so expect some issues, so add another £1500 for both to get decent example... but compared to IS220d I think GS300 is the next best thing in terms of price and IS250 Auto is an extra £1000. Lexus IS250 manual would be decent for £2000, not as well matched as auto, but still better than diesel, but £675 road tax is ridiculous, so then you are limited to buying very earlies examples which are very rare.

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

The forum has spoken!

As well I forgotten to mention but OP did great job of asking before buying. How many times we have to deal with dramas after purchase...

So well done for doing research Mark!

• Like 6

Hi Mark. Blimey you really have been busy compiling that MOT failure and advisory list.

What I'd say is Yes buy it But for NO MORE than £100. Once in your possession take it and get it weighed in for scrap. You may just triple your money 😁 or if you have the space and mechanical knowhow break it for spares.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Lexus IS250 manual would be decent for £2000, not as well matched as auto, but still better than diesel, but £675 road tax is ridiculous, so then you are limited to buying very earlies examples which are very rare.

As well I forgotten to mention but OP did great job of asking before buying. How many times we have to deal with dramas after purchase...

So well done for doing research Mark!

Don't forget '55 plate and early '06 plate manuals are cheaper to tax (same as autos)

I wouldn't touch it personally.

But as for comments suggesting the Is220d is a pile of rubbish, ive got one (sport model, higher road tax) on an 08 plate since it was 2 years old. ok its has issues around not being on enough long runs - but thats not the cars fault. my bigger issues are with lexus dealers (one in particular) who at 6mths into my ownership, and after paying silly money for a service package, announced i needed a new radiator at £1000 - rad has never been replaced or leaked. was told i needed a new DPF (same dealer) cost £3,500 or more. not been changed, no dash warning lights. at one service they put 2.5 litres too much oil in. needless it has never been back to them since.  wheels were redone by them bright silver instead of gun metal grey. 

yes ive had the key sensor issue recently which was a royal pain in the rear, the boot lock wiring chaffed through (now fixed), and the parking sensor display does random things (that sketal view was awesome while it lasted). but the car has now done 120k miles, body work is good, glass is good, carpets are good, seats are good. headlight covers are yellowing - but for the age of the car? also it has always passed MOT first time.

my own experience, and that is all it is, is that the is22od is much maligned.

no offence intended. everyone has an opinion.

A lot of that comes from maintenance... That said you can drive twice as long with half the maintenance on IS250, so it is kind of objective to say IS220d is unreliable (for Lexus that is). I think IS220d (as many diesel cars) was really hurt by people just not using it right (short trips), then not bothering or not expecting to do extra maintenance for that use and finally just getting cheap. Once car get's below certain point (say £2000) it becomes increasingly likely it will be bought by people who are not planning to maintain it, or could not afford to maintain it... so now when you see one for sale, for say £1800 you can be sure it will be loads of pain to own it. Same applies to IS250 or any other car, except IS250 benefits from just being inherently more reliable... so even with poor maintenance it will drive twice as far before exploding... but it will explode eventually. 

I think it is fair to say that by now most of IS220d on the market are in a state where they are simply not worth making right. Maybe there are some late model IS200d which are still in good enough condition to acquire and maintain, but at the price you will pay for them it is always better just to get few years older IS250... even with double miles. And even if you end-up finding that one perfect example, and maintain it to highest standards, then again you have issues of government just banning diesels from driving... so the question is - is it even worth the effort to keep on in long term.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links