Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Tire Noise - Conti Premium Contact 6

hey everyone,

Just swapped out the factory turanza er33s for a set of premium contact 6 tires and I noticed a humming noise between certain speed intervals (40-70kph). It sounds as if a wheel bearing is off, but it doesn't change pitch nor does it change when swerving from one direction to another which I've been told should happen due to unloading the faulty wheel. Only thing that does seem to change how loud it is is pavement changes and increasing the speed, though as mentioned, I can't seem to notice it at around 70+ kph. Can't seem to notice vibrations either. It's also only on 79000kms so I'd reckon a wheel bearing going out this early isn't probable (though I am aware of earlier failures). 

Some forums mention a period required for the tires to settle, but I've already driven some 200km on them in the last 3 weeks and they don't seem to have quieted down. 

I've played around with tire pressures, all the way from 2.5 (advertised for the fsport rims) to 2.3 and didn't notice any improvements. 

I'll be taking it to the shop I bought them from to have a tech's opinion on this, but I'm curious if others have faced similar issues. Comfort is well improved over the previous turanzas, but the noise gets annoying, especially since most of my driving is in town where I can't just gun it to 100kph to avoid the racket. 

The noise is quite similar to what this guy experienced.

Will report back with findings. 

Just came back from them. 

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

Could be that the new tyres have not been balanced correctly.

Unfortunately, this wasn't the case. Everything looks spot on. 

They initially suggested it could be a bearing, but after inspecting the wheels they did not find neither play in the wheels or noise coming from the hub, nor weird wear patterns on the surface. On the drive back I paid a bit more attention to the sound and noticed it doesn't really stop at around 70kph, it's just less obvious since by then I've got a bit of wind noise as well in the mix. Weird since the pitch of the sound doesn't change at all - it stays constant and only the volume changes depending on the surface. 

Might take it in for an inspection to the dealer. It's infuriating. 

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

It's probably the tires especially if they've just been changed

Some do make a humming noise. 

Yes, I assume so, but I still hope there's something that might help, like an alignment. Booked it for one and I hope to have a tech from Toyota ride shotgun and give me some thoughts.

I'm just disappointed since Conti brags about their noise reducing foam on the inside of their tires and after buying these and seeing just how loud they are, I'm missing my 7yo Turanzas. I'll go with Michelin next time, perhaps. 

Edited by bashedpotatoes

On 5/29/2023 at 12:34 PM, bashedpotatoes said:

Just came back from them. 

Unfortunately, this wasn't the case. Everything looks spot on. 

They initially suggested it could be a bearing, but after inspecting the wheels they did not find neither play in the wheels or noise coming from the hub, nor weird wear patterns on the surface. On the drive back I paid a bit more attention to the sound and noticed it doesn't really stop at around 70kph, it's just less obvious since by then I've got a bit of wind noise as well in the mix. Weird since the pitch of the sound doesn't change at all - it stays constant and only the volume changes depending on the surface. 

Might take it in for an inspection to the dealer. It's infuriating. 

Pitch should change if noise come from wheels / tyres as when they roll faster frequency will be higher.

Suspension?

2 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Do all the wheel nuts still look to be in good condition and properly tight?

Yes, they used a torque wrench on each nut. I'm guessing the tech will also check these out when performing the alignment. 

3 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Pitch should change if noise come from wheels / tyres as when they roll faster frequency will be higher.

Suspension?

Pitch variation does make sense, only thing I get is volume increase/decrease depending on speed and especially pavement type. Noticed some stretches amplify the noise considerably, but it may be down to resonance.

Hm, did not consider the suspension, but given the fact that neither winter tires, nor the previous summer ones howled the way these do, I'd be tempted to put this aside. Will keep in mind for the next service visit. 

8 hours ago, Digifant said:

Same trouble with Turanza 6. Seems like It's tyres aerodynamics issue. Hoping that wheel allighnment would help at least at some point. 

That's unfortunate. Turanza 6 was on my list and wanted to get those in favor of PremiumContacts, but they didn't have the 255s in stock. How's the comfort?
I noticed a big improvement going from the old ER33s to the PC6s, even though the older ones were a bit underinflated to compensate for the hard sidewall. Shame about the noise. 

13 hours ago, bashedpotatoes said:

That's unfortunate. Turanza 6 was on my list and wanted to get those in favor of PremiumContacts, but they didn't have the 255s in stock. How's the comfort?
I noticed a big improvement going from the old ER33s to the PC6s, even though the older ones were a bit underinflated to compensate for the hard sidewall. Shame about the noise. 

I had before er33 either. Difference in comfort is huge. but mostly I think because of er33 was pretty old, so it's quite unfair comparison. I wanted to try Pirelli Powergy, but I couldn't find 255s in whole Europe.

On 5/30/2023 at 11:07 PM, Digifant said:

Same trouble with Turanza 6. Seems like It's tyres aerodynamics issue. Hoping that wheel allighnment would help at least at some point. 

Damn... I was looking at getting a set of those fitted.. Do you happen to know of its the same on the Turanza T005? I think Costco have a deal on them currently.

8 minutes ago, ZXSpectrum said:

Damn... I was looking at getting a set of those fitted.. Do you happen to know of its the same on the Turanza T005? I think Costco have a deal on them currently.

I had the t005 of my previous golf gti and didn’t really notice anything. Then again, plenty of people are happy about premium contacts being comfy and quiet, so I don’t know whether to recommend them or not. 

11 hours ago, ZXSpectrum said:

Anyway, I can't say that I regret on this buy.

• 3 weeks later...

Short update on the issue: had an alignment done and the tech did mention that one of the rears was close to the minimum camber limit as well as adjusting the toe in on the front wheels. 

I might be going crazy but it seems louder now, which might make sense if the rears weren’t making full contact, which they now do, but I’m probably exaggerating since it was just 2 degrees instead of the 1.59 which he dialed in.

Will look into a different set of tires. 

On 6/19/2023 at 5:43 PM, bashedpotatoes said:

Short update on the issue: had an alignment done and the tech did mention that one of the rears was close to the minimum camber limit as well as adjusting the toe in on the front wheels. 

I might be going crazy but it seems louder now, which might make sense if the rears weren’t making full contact, which they now do, but I’m probably exaggerating since it was just 2 degrees instead of the 1.59 which he dialed in.

Will look into a different set of tires. 

Go for a decent set of Michelin's, Goodyear's or hankooks. They don't seem to have excessive noise issues. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rayaans said:

Go for a decent set of Michelin's, Goodyear's or hankooks. They don't seem to have excessive noise issues. 

That's the fun part which the technician also agreed to - these Contis don't really have that many complaints either, quite the contrary. Plenty of people seemed happy with them, but it's all meaningless unless the reviews and opinions come from people with the same chassis, suspension setup, tire dimensions, so on and so forth. 

I've been looking around the forum for suggestions and it looks like dunlop sport maxx rt2 come recommended even by is300h drivers. Those or the Eagle F1 Asymmetrics, but they seem to be in short supply around my parts, at least the rear 255s.

I'd also be lying if I wouldn't admit to looking at the Debica presto uhp2 model. They seem to be a tad worse in the wet braking department, but noise wise they appear to be way quieter (68db external noise vs the current 73db on the continentals). 

Just removed the Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres they came with my new ES300H as I couldn't stand the road noise in the cabin on motorways and fitted the latest Hankook noise reduction tyres (foam) which has helped quite a bit but not having had a Lexus before I'm amazed at how poor the cabin insulation is compared to BMW.

https://www.hankooktire.com/uk/en/tire/ion/evo.html

4 hours ago, Steven C said:

Just removed the Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres they came with my new ES300H as I couldn't stand the road noise in the cabin on motorways and fitted the latest Hankook noise reduction tyres (foam) which has helped quite a bit but not having had a Lexus before I'm amazed at how poor the cabin insulation is compared to BMW.

https://www.hankooktire.com/uk/en/tire/ion/evo.html

Compared to a BMW what? 7 series.

I think you'll find the ES is as quiet if not quieter than most BMWs 

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

Compared to a BMW what? 7 series.

No 530e with 17" wheels. To be honest had I not taken a punt on the Hankook's that have helped with the cabin noise the car was going to be sent back as it was purchased new.

It depends on what you are comparing the ES against.

530e's with 17" wheels are exceptionally quiet at motorway speeds whereas now with slightly less cabin noise I now get the the wind noise that has been reported on the ES. Can't really win with it. 😄 Next time it will be back to a BMW or Merc and that maybe sooner rather than later. It's a shame as the car itself is really nice in all other aspects.

5 minutes ago, Steven C said:

No 530e with 17" wheels. To be honest had I not taken a punt on the Hankook's that have helped with the cabin noise the car was going to be sent back as it was purchased new.

It depends on what you are comparing the ES against.

530e's with 17" wheels are exceptionally quiet at motorway speeds whereas now with slightly less cabin noise I now get the the wind noise that has been reported on the ES. Can't really win with it. 😄 Next time it will be back to a BMW or Merc and that maybe sooner rather than later. It's a shame as the car itself is really nice in all other aspects.

Interesting.

I mean I've driven all the recent Mercs, Audi's and BMWs and I never found any significant difference between them and an ES really. Maybe slightly more wind noise over the mirrors on the ES but it's a much cheaper car overall compared to a 5 or E class

11 hours ago, bashedpotatoes said:

I've been looking around the forum for suggestions and it looks like dunlop sport maxx rt2 come recommended even by is300h drivers. Those or the Eagle F1 Asymmetrics, but they seem to be in short supply around my parts, at least the rear 255s.

Totaly disagree! I don't recomend Sport maxx rt2 on IS300H. Will get rid of them within 2-3 weeks. Main complain - very hard and uncomfoortable. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Digifant said:

Totaly disagree! I don't recomend Sport maxx rt2 on IS300H. Will get rid of them within 2-3 weeks. Main complain - very hard and uncomfoortable. 

Well that's a bummer. Called the shop I got the contis from and they'll try sending them back to the supplier for a checkup. If any come up to be defective, they'll reimburse the value for the busted one(s).

I've gotten tired (pun not intended) of this entire debacle as it's wasting more time than anticipated and decided to try some budged debica presto uhp2s they had in stock while they figure out what's what with the premium contacts. They seem to be quieter and comfortable according to the owner reviews with main drawbacks being earlier wear and not as great breaking in the wet, but we'll see.

Should probably have stuck with the stock turanzas for another year and avoided the hassle. 

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

it's a much cheaper car overall compared to a 5 or E class

That maybe the reason. I have had E Classes since 2008 and the BMW up until a few weeks ago. You get what you pay for I guess and cabin sound insulation is not part of it. I chose the ES as I was sick of plugging in the 530e and it was claimed it has great soundproofing but not the case. The positives are that it was under the £40k road tax liabilty and the MPG reports were great. 

11 minutes ago, Steven C said:

That maybe the reason. I have had E Classes since 2008 and the BMW up until a few weeks ago. You get what you pay for I guess and cabin sound insulation is not part of it. I chose the ES as I was sick of plugging in the 530e and it was claimed it has great soundproofing but not the case. The positives are that it was under the £40k road tax liabilty and the MPG reports were great. 

Im not saying your views are wrong, but I have had a 2022 plate E220d as a courtesy car when my C class when in for service a few months ago. It was louder than the ES in my opinion in terms of motorway noise and the ride quality was poor. 

Its quite interesting that you find the ES noisy in comparison especially as it even uses an acoustic windscreen and front side glass. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links