Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX300h Tyre Replacement advice and reccomendation

Hi all, my nx has 18 inch wheels, was wondering what tyres you bought (non-budget) that gave a good mix of efficiency and handling, and did you notice an mpg increase over the standard yokohoma which comes with the car. How many miles did your tyres last you. i have also noticed my nx does not show tyre air pressure does your, or is it in a sub menu. Thanks in advance!

We had our 2021 NX put in for service at beginning of the year and it turned out it needed 3 new tyres! (One had nail in non repairable spot, the other two had holes down to wire??) Anyway, as in for a service, I agreed for Lexus to replace the 3. We went for same as it came with, 3 x yokahama's. Plus the tracking got corrected.

Since then, the mpg has been back up to over 40mpg every trip.

I think yokahama are just fine. Car is, as always had been, smooth and refined (but now with better mpg again 😆)

18 hours ago, VSR said:

Hi all, my nx has 18 inch wheels, was wondering what tyres you bought (non-budget) that gave a good mix of efficiency and handling, and did you notice an mpg increase over the standard yokohoma which comes with the car. How many miles did your tyres last you. i have also noticed my nx does not show tyre air pressure does your, or is it in a sub menu. Thanks in advance!

And yes, just before put in for service (like day before) the tyre pressure warning light came on)

1 hour ago, Deb said:

We had our 2021 NX put in for service at beginning of the year and it turned out it needed 3 new tyres! (One had nail in non repairable spot, the other two had holes down to wire??) Anyway, as in for a service, I agreed for Lexus to replace the 3. We went for same as it came with, 3 x yokahama's. Plus the tracking got corrected.

I think yokahama are just fine. Car is, as always had been, smooth and refined (but now with better mpg again 😆)

must have been annoying. Did they charge you an arm and a leg or was it market pricing, do you do high miles. Ours has only done around 8k miles and it turns 3 in september. 

1 hour ago, Deb said:

might add, i know how it feels, literally the day we collected the car and parked it I was showing a relative (on the 1st of september) he noticed a nail in the tyre, luckily we were able to remove and the car has been to service twice with no issue. I think the nail was from, when we collected the car we went into an industrial estate right next to the dealership to get a feel for the brakes... as we had to join the motorway straight away, it must have been from there. 

1 hour ago, VSR said:

might add, i know how it feels, literally the day we collected the car and parked it I was showing a relative (on the 1st of september) he noticed a nail in the tyre, luckily we were able to remove and the car

If you think that's bad..years ago I had a new company car delivered to my home.It arrived quite late,so I didn't take it out.Next morning my wife had to pop out and took the new car.She returned some time later,having hit a pothole.Not only had she burst the tyre but also buckled the alloy wheel.It took a bit of explaining to the company's fleet department!

As the car had been delivered on a trailer,the mileage was only in single figures.

• Like 1

Had my MOT today and the front tyres will need replacements very soon ( will not replace them yet, as my replacement car should be here sooner ). The price at my local dealer for each Yokohama £146.40 per tyre fitted which was less than a year ago. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VSR said:

must have been annoying. Did they charge you an arm and a leg or was it market pricing, do you do high miles. Ours has only done around 8k miles and it turns 3 in september. 

Very annoying. Considering it was the cars first major service 🙄 and that was costing nearly £600 already. We don't do excessively high miles (I don't think) it's now done 23k and it was registered 29th September 21. More than average maybe but not excessive? Not sure how you have only covered 8k in nearly 3 years??

Anyway, decided to just to let them do the tyres as it was already in and easier than searching ourselves! (Plus it was a Friday late afternoon and we were already in (paid for) courtesy car which happened to be NX350H Takumi and we got to keep it the weekend!!) I think each tyre cost about £125, which seemed reasonable? Slightly annoyed that they then charged us another £70 for tracking as well! When questioned about the two with holes down to the wire, they said potholes were likely to have caused them! We don't drive on anything other than roads so maybe some truth in this? Hope its not a reflection on the quality of the yokahama tyres.....

Anyhow, pleased got it sorted as mpg gone up since and car drives smooth and refined (as always).

Will be sad to see it go when our new NX350H finally arrives 😢 

• Like 1

The best tyres I ever had on my NX300h were the Michelin cross climate ones. Transformed the car. Better ride, quieter and hard wearing.  Excellent in all weather. I would recommend these all day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never had a problem with Continental tyres on so many cars, that I regret I replaced the first set of tyres on the CT with the same Pirelli as car was delivered with. After getting the UltraContact from Continental on the car is much quieter, drives better, my wife say it made the car better, my little one says that music sounds better now. Only problem is that I drive a bit faster now that the car handles so many times better and that could, if unlucky, cost a fine.

Many of the big sizes are self repairing for most tiny holes.

image.thumb.png.9fdc7fb7aac5ffd5732f0142a6524dfa.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Never had a problem with Continental tyres on so many cars, that I regret I replaced the first set of tyres on the CT with the same Pirelli as car was delivered with. After getting the UltraContact from Continental on the car is much quieter, drives better, my wife say it made the car better, my little one says that music sounds better now. Only problem is that I drive a bit faster now that the car handles so many times better and that could, if unlucky, cost a fine.

Many of the big sizes are self repairing for most tiny holes.

Thanks for the info, go easy wizzing around your small Island. : )

• Like 2

I replaced the Yokohama standard fit with Avon and they were excellent, with softer ride and less road noise. Plenty of threads on this subject and plenty of different opinions though…

For me, based on experience, I’d go with Avon or Falken. Personally I’ve not had good experience with Michelin (think a couple of other members have posted similar) although accept reviews of the ‘Cross Climate’ are excellent.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/138996-another-new-tyre-thread/#comment-1278821

• Like 1

thanks all for that, I personally having done some more research wouldn't replace my tyres with Yokohoma as they got a D grade for fuel efficency and a C grade for wet handling, when there are other tyres for the same money such as continental/ bridgestone /good year with A and B ratings for the £140-£150 price range on asda tyres. Btw do use asda tyres, if you don't i find that its comparison service is always cheaper except against COSTCO, and it gets fitted at a local garage. Shame Lexus doesn't go for the other brands as standard. 

8 minutes ago, VSR said:

thanks all for that, I personally having done some more research wouldn't replace my tyres with Yokohoma as they got a D grade for fuel efficency and a C grade for wet handling, when there are other tyres for the same money such as continental/ bridgestone /good year with A and B ratings for the £140-£150 price range on asda tyres. Btw do use asda tyres, if you don't i find that its comparison service is always cheaper except against COSTCO, and it gets fitted at a local garage. Shame Lexus doesn't go for the other brands as standard. 

Lexus goes for the tyre brand they make most profit on. Like all other companies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Lexus goes for the tyre brand they make most profit on. Like all other companies.

i get that for sure, but shoddy tyres could also make the difference between some1 buying one on a test drive and not, it hinders the NX reaching its ultimate ability, i get for example a brand like citoren/renault/nissan juke/dacia etc. it makes sense to fit the cheapest, as you dont have choice in the price point, but Lexus has the GLB,GLC X3, X4, Model Y, Q5, Macan, CRV, Sportage, RAV4, TIGUAN, e-pace, f-pace, evoque ... to contend with leaves a bit of a cheap taste, seeing as everything in the NX is perfect. I personally think that if they offered 360 camera (mid spec and above NISSANS, yes Nissans have had this since 2012 yet Lexus in 2023 makes you spend 14k extra to go to Takumi to get this) , better tyres, blind spot monitoring as standard on the lexus range their sales may be 2-3x higher in the UK. The penny pinching on the UX is a bit obvious the bonnet has a manual mount instead of a strut, offering no sat nav as standard, 10k mile service/1 y service intervals probably puts a lot of fleet managers off from buying these as rivals have 2yr/20k and cheaper service. Would you agree?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VSR said:

i get that for sure, but shoddy tyres could also make the difference between some1 buying one on a test drive and not, it hinders the NX reaching its ultimate ability, i get for example a brand like citoren/renault/nissan juke/dacia etc. it makes sense to fit the cheapest, as you dont have choice in the price point, but Lexus has the GLB,GLC X3, X4, Model Y, Q5, Macan, CRV, Sportage, RAV4, TIGUAN, e-pace, f-pace, evoque ... to contend with leaves a bit of a cheap taste, seeing as everything in the NX is perfect. I personally think that if they offered 360 camera (mid spec and above NISSANS, yes Nissans have had this since 2012 yet Lexus in 2023 makes you spend 14k extra to go to Takumi to get this) , better tyres, blind spot monitoring as standard on the lexus range their sales may be 2-3x higher in the UK. The penny pinching on the UX is a bit obvious the bonnet has a manual mount instead of a strut, offering no sat nav as standard, 10k mile service/1 y service intervals probably puts a lot of fleet managers off from buying these as rivals have 2yr/20k and cheaper service. Would you agree?

Lexus made their reputation and now they are resting on the laurels. Profit FIRST!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VSR said:

I do understand your point, but brands have always done this sort of thing. Putting tyres to one side for a moment, ‘less desirable’ brands have always loaded their models with more equipment at a lower price in order to try and tempt people away from ‘prestige’ or ‘more desirable’ brands. When I was young in the 1970s the family firm made a conscious decision to move away from Mercedes company cars and go to Vauxhall/Opel for exactly this  reason. The absolute quality wasn’t there, but the owner/drivers loved that their new cars were stuffed full of electric windows, cassette decks, tinted glass and the like - all of which were optional extras on the previous and much dearer Mercedes. The point about Nissan above - to me - fits that same premise all these years later.

Returning to tyres, I don’t think we can say Lexus is fitting ‘shoddy’ tyres. Yokohama, Dunlop, Bridgestone all are good brands. The reality is that most people don’t really notice or care. On a car forum the representative sample of views is likely to be quite different to the public at large imho.

That aside, I do think Lexus is penny pinching in some areas considering the cost of the product. The bonnet strut on a UX is a small but good example. They must reason that the extra ‘perception of quality’ a gas strut would provide isn’t a deal breaker for almost anybody - and they’re probably correct - but in terms of long term satisfaction it’s that sort of thing that gets into the subconscious. I think they used to be called ‘surprise and delight’ features. I’d say the plastic door trims on the UX are far more important, and personally I think the quality there really does let the side down in an important area.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I do understand your point, but brands have always done this sort of thing. Putting tyres to one side for a moment, ‘less desirable’ brands have always loaded their models with more equipment at a lower price in order to try and tempt people away from ‘prestige’ or ‘more desirable’ brands. When I was young in the 1970s the family firm made a conscious decision to move away from Mercedes company cars and go to Vauxhall/Opel for exactly this  reason. The absolute quality wasn’t there, but the owner/drivers loved that their new cars were stuffed full of electric windows, cassette decks, tinted glass and the like - all of which were optional extras on the previous and much dearer Mercedes. The point about Nissan above - to me - fits that same premise all these years later.

Returning to tyres, I don’t think we can say Lexus is fitting ‘shoddy’ tyres. Yokohama, Dunlop, Bridgestone all are good brands. The reality is that most people don’t really notice or care. On a car forum the representative sample of views is likely to be quite different to the public at large imho.

That aside, I do think Lexus is penny pinching in some areas considering the cost of the product. The bonnet strut on a UX is a small but good example. They must reason that the extra ‘perception of quality’ a gas strut would provide isn’t a deal breaker for almost anybody - and they’re probably correct - but in terms of long term satisfaction it’s that sort of thing that gets into the subconscious. I think they used to be called ‘surprise and delight’ features. I’d say the plastic door trims on the UX are far more important, and personally I think the quality there really does let the side down in an important area.

You are right that Lexus is cutting corners with the newer models. That only make it correct that they have made their reputation and now don't need to do much as the brand is already named : Premium.

• Like 1

The main reason however, as to why i went for the NX except for reliability, is that other brands such as Audi charge extra for rear curtain airbags(at least when i last checked on the Q5) , whereas i felt lexus whilst not generous with tech were not being crooked with safety, and at the time for 2k i could get the prem sport and all the tech i wanted bar the 360 cameras was there. I also get a feeling that the UK arms of  car brands are not being good with car security, the amount of keyless go thefts are far too high and all it would take for them to eradicate the issue is by introducing a pin to drive system, just like unlocking your phone. What's your thoughts on pin to drive, teslas already have that.  I know i've gone a bit off topic from the inital tyre suggestions apologies!

11 minutes ago, VSR said:

The main reason however, as to why i went for the NX except for reliability, is that other brands such as Audi charge extra for rear curtain airbags(at least when i last checked on the Q5) , whereas i felt lexus whilst not generous with tech were not being crooked with safety, and at the time for 2k i could get the prem sport and all the tech i wanted bar the 360 cameras was there. I also get a feeling that the UK arms of  car brands are not being good with car security, the amount of keyless go thefts are far too high and all it would take for them to eradicate the issue is by introducing a pin to drive system, just like unlocking your phone. What's your thoughts on pin to drive, teslas already have that.  I know i've gone a bit off topic from the inital tyre suggestions apologies!

Cobra had an alarm with a few more buttons on the remote and if not pressed correct car would be locked a while. Do not remember the name or number of it. Did not sell that well. But did function in 2000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VSR said:

What's your thoughts on pin to drive, teslas already have that. 

I don’t see why that isn’t more widely adopted. After all, Citroen introduced it for the oft stolen Saxo in the 1990s! It never caught on though…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 8:35 PM, VSR said:

I was concerned about the Yokohoma D grade for fuel efficiency as well. However having had all 4 Yokohoma Blueearths, the MPG has increased. They ride well and the noise levels are okay for me. I was comparing between Yokohomas and Michelline Cross climates and got all Yokohamas. Its rather confusing, reviews say the otherways, but my experience with the Yokohomas are positive. Will check after it accumulates more miles.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 11:42 AM, Eggie said:

The best tyres I ever had on my NX300h were the Michelin cross climate ones. Transformed the car. Better ride, quieter and hard wearing.  Excellent in all weather. I would recommend these all day.

I can only support this. I use these tires since 5 years on my NX now and they are great in all weather conditions.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links