Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Locked out of car! Help!

Evening folks. I'm in a bit of a pickle. I couldn't get into my RC300h this evening. I instantly thought it was the Battery in the key fob. Changed that. The red light works on the key fob but the car still doesn't unlock.

I then tried the manual key. That turns 90⁰ but doesn't unlock the car. It doesn't even work in the boot manual lock. I tried spraying WD40 in the lock to loosen it up. Still nothing. 

Can anyone help? I don't know what to do. Thanks 

Just now, ColinBarber said:

Are you turning the key the correct way - it goes both ways for unlock and lock, and it will be quite stiff to actually move the mechanical lock.

I tried as hard as I could in both directions til my fingers hurt. It's a 2019 plate so I would hope the Battery isn't dead. Even if it was, it doesn't take much power to operate the central locking. 

Just now, steve2006 said:

Lexus recovery, the AA the RAC maybe?

I will ring them in the morning. I'm not covered by any of them. I shudder to think the cost. 

I'm puzzled why my manual key doesn't work 

Assuming the mechanical keys haven't been mixed up and you have the wrong one (have you tried your spare mechanical key) I'd say you aren't using enough force - it always surprises people how much force is required on those little keys when the central locking doesn't take over - obviously you need to be restrained to not bend/sheer off the key but sometimes pliers are needed.

27 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Assuming the mechanical keys haven't been mixed up and you have the wrong one (have you tried your spare mechanical key) I'd say you aren't using enough force - it always surprises people how much force is required on those little keys when the central locking doesn't take over - obviously you need to be restrained to not bend/sheer off the key but sometimes pliers are needed.

Thankyou. I will try again in the morning. 

30 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Thankyou. I will try that tomorrow morning. My commute to work is a 60 mile round trip 3 days a week, so it's not like I do short trips to flatten the Battery. Wonder why this has happened 

6 minutes ago, Himesh said:

My commute to work is a 60 mile round trip 3 days a week, so it's not like I do short trips to flatten the battery.

Well, batteries have been known to fail at about five years.  It might be worth having the condition of the Battery checked to see if you have any bad cells.  Maybe have the charging system checked at the same time?

The Battery condition could be a number of small problems all cropping up at the same time.

1 minute ago, LenT said:

Well, batteries have been known to fail at about five years.  It might be worth having the condition of the battery checked to see if you have any bad cells.  Maybe have the charging system checked at the same time?

The battery condition could be a number of small problems all cropping up at the same time.

Thanks. Do you mean the normal Battery rather than the hybrid Battery? I had a lexus service done a few months ago and they didn't report any problems. It is under the rolling warrant they give for servicing with them 

16 minutes ago, Himesh said:

Thanks. Do you mean the normal battery rather than the hybrid battery? I had a lexus service done a few months ago and they didn't report any problems. It is under the rolling warrant they give for servicing with them 

I would be referring to the ‘normal’ Battery.

I know nothing worth knowing about hybrid batteries!  🙁

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Himesh said:

Thanks. Do you mean the normal battery rather than the hybrid battery? I had a lexus service done a few months ago and they didn't report any problems. It is under the rolling warrant they give for servicing with them 

Normal Battery most likely gone 

Doesn't necessarily show any errors on servicing. 

It's a bit unusual that the manual key didn't work but yes, definitely need to use pliers or a very quick motion to get it to unlock properly

6 hours ago, rayaans said:

definitely need to use pliers or a very quick motion to get it to unlock properly

Absolutely this. I wasn't able to get into a Toyota iQ once. The AA man used a huge pair of pliers and all his strength and the door unlocked. Give it some welly.

Hi guys quick update. Had to call the AA this morning. He turned the key TO THE LEFT and it opened easy as that. I was turning to the right. 

He diagnosed the Battery in the boot as being flat. He jump started it and I drove to Lexus after paying him £170!

Lexus have fitted a new Battery for £180. They said there was no unusual drain on the Battery and it had just come to the end of its life. 

Could've jump started it myself.

Ah well I hope this post is useful to someone in the future

20 minutes ago, Himesh said:

Hi guys quick update. Had to call the AA this morning. He turned the key TO THE LEFT and it opened easy as that. I was turning to the right. 

Interesting.. The handbook shows turning to the left locks the door..

image.thumb.png.158c22a4ef00026fcb4fbb68c9e9e377.png

■ Opening the trunk
Turn the mechanical key clockwise to 
open. 

image.png.d09b834ef4fc84d570537e6d59a416a8.png

image.thumb.png.afb1feaa59f417077d7f9110b14bee77.png

The above image show to unlock you turn the key away from the hing of the door handle which on a RHD car is to the left. 

I think the image above is for LHD cars 

2 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

The hinges are on same place on LHD and RHD

I think what it means is that you turn the key towards the rear of the car. That would be to the left on the drivers door of a RHD car and to the right on the drivers door of a LHD car.

23 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

I think what it means is that you turn the key towards the rear of the car. That would be to the left on the drivers door of a RHD car and to the right on the drivers door of a LHD car.

Yes this is what I meant, you put it somewhat more eloquently 

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

I don't recall if both the driver's and passenger's doors had mechanical key locks under the door handle?

The handbook does reference the differences between LHD and RHD versions when describing switch gear and dash layout etc.. but don't make reference to LHD/RHD when detailing unlocking with the blade key

Why would Lexus produce locks that operate differently depending on which side the steering wheel is?

1 minute ago, Dippo said:

The problem is that most people leave the handbook in the glovebox, so you can't refer to it when you can't get into the car.

That's where the downloaded pdf version comes in handy, available on your mobile device 👍

• Like 1

There Is no lock on the passengers handle. The lock is the same on both RHD and LHD, but the direction you turn it is.

Turning left on a RHD car is the same direction as turning right on a LHD car. 

I've just drawn it out on a piece of paper. Sad. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Why would Lexus produce locks that operate differently depending on which side the steering wheel is?

I'm not sure if it's me misunderstanding, but the locks don't operate differently, you're just standing on a different side of them depending on whether it's a LHD or RHD drive.

Picture it this way, imagine there was a keyhole on the inside of the door as well. If you unlocked from the outside you'd turn to your left, but from the inside you'd turn to your right, both on the same lock.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links