Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys

I went up to Scotland on saturday, got back this morning, anyway, I got great mpg cruising at 60mpg, the most I've got was 41mpg, but on Saturday I got 39mpg

20230827_214552.jpg

• Like 1

......  I just have my cars properly serviced ( fingers xd ) , try to drive with as light a right foot as reasonable in the circumstances, drive her always in PWR mode .....  and pray that gives me the best that can be achieved on my two old bangers 🤩

Then I check out which is the best value E5 petrol station to fill up from ..  not out of my way, just on the way to somewhere or back, then empty my wallet as appropriate 😅

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

......  I just have my cars properly serviced ( fingers xd ) , try to drive with as light a right foot as reasonable in the circumstances, drive her always in PWR mode .....  and pray that gives me the best that can be achieved on my two old bangers 🤩

Then I check out which is the best value E5 petrol station to fill up from ..  not out of my way, just on the way to somewhere or back, then empty my wallet as appropriate 😅

Malc

I forgot to add, I do actually use bp ultimate unleaded fuel

Impressive :thumbup:
It's do-able if you can maintain a constant speed in the 55-60mph range, but any traffic problems or serious hills and your economy will suffer.
My problem is that I get bored at 60 and even 70 seems pedestrian. I learned to ride in Belgium where everyone treated the 120Kph limit as advisory, and I regularly used to ride in Germany on the Autobahn at seriously silly speeds. After 4 hours on the Autobahn at 120-140Mph, a mere 70 feels like you could crawl faster. I swear that the 145Km from the border at Aachen to Brussels felt like it took an ETERNITY rather than just over 1 hour. 🤣

• Like 1

That is impressive, never got to that figure myself, but never tried cruising at 60 on the way to Scotland, as things are generally flat from where I live to Shap (apart from slight blip up Lickey) and then once over Beattock and down into Glasgow no major climbs all the way up to Pitlochry, then the final weave along the road to Rannoch is where the mpg drops to the floor in an LS. But you arrive nice and relaxed, which is what really counts.

Most of the time I never bothered about the mpg as LS was the cheapest car I ran for 15 years, what you saved on mechanics you spent on fuel.

• Like 3

I get 35mpg driving to Inverness or Edinburgh. Scottish mountains make mpg drop a bit. Wick to Inverness is worse bit. No dual carriageway plenty of turns and hills to negotiate plus using overtaking ability to pass tourists admiring view of highlands. Leave gear shift in sport mode for hills to save on multiple gear changes. Have noticed that when going down a 5 in 1 hill if you tap brakes and get speed below 40mph my LS430 goes into engine braking mode. Means im not riding brakes down the hill like most other drivers. Have been using Tesco's 99 momentum when I get to Inverness. Car feels so much livier. 

• Like 1

If you want engine braking mode, just use the manual override on the transmission and drop her to 5th or lower. No need to touch the brakes.
If you try to go to too low a gear, it will beep at you and refuse to do it. I use the override regularly when I manage to get away from the flatlands.

Bigboomer my engine braking mode comes in automatically. Do use the manual selector when I need too, either for over taking or hold a lower gear for a twisting climb up hill. 

On 8/28/2023 at 6:02 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

Can anyone beat that? Wow! I will have a go!

If anyone could beat it, it would've been me. Sometimes have to travel 200 miles to work and then back the next day (or that night) but on a small wallet. Last 190 miles drive to Bristol and I had irritated (they probably couldn't be bothered to mirror-signal-manoeuvre ) truck drivers flashing me whilst I help my nerve at 56mph on the nearside lane.

Anyway,y numbers are with a smooth engine of only 70,000 miles. Freshly serviced and all brakes running smooth and not binding. Fresh eggs under the throttle pedal and Shell V Power from the best station I've expereinced.

38.8 I think I got averaged over 200 and then 380ish. 39.2 is a new record!! Well done @messi 

• Like 1

For comparison, I averaged 34MPG in the 460 last week on a 120mile run from the south coast. Bit of slow driving through the New Forest and A-roads, motorway cruising between an indicated 80-90 (kph, of course 😜) when conditions allowed, stuck in traffic at various times (M27, M3 and M25). The car was loaded to the gunwales, 3 people in the car, ac blasting as it was 31 degrees, fridge full of cold drinks and bum-coolers doing their business. Not bad for an almost 400bhp, 2 tonne car. 

(Although a bit more boot space might have been useful!)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links