Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do I need a new tyre here? Back tyre curbed quite badly

Do I need a new tyre here? I rubbed this against the curb when I was backing into the spot. Will it matter if I get a different brand of tyre to the other 3 tyres

If I do need a new tyre what tyre do people recommend? 

PXL_20230918_134026501.MP.jpg

Personally I would get a new tyre. The gouge is fairly deep and will have weakened the sidewall. Is the alloy wheel of the diamond cut variety? 

Whilst it would be nice to have the same brand / model as the other 3 tyres, it isn't absolutely necessary. Your local tyre fitter will be able to give you further advice. 

Looks quite deep and myself I would replace it for safety reasons.

Order the same make/brand/tread pattern online and delivered at the various online tyre places and have/ fitted at your nearest tyre place. Alternatively seek a tyre fitters advice.

James,

For your own safety, for those who travel in the car and your peace of mind replace it, £100-£150 now is nothing compared to the consequences of a sudden high speed blow out.

If you were to leave it then have an accident as a result of it or not you could leave yourself open to driving an unroadworthy vehicle and have any claim rejected by your insurers.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, yaboyking said:

Do I need a new tyre here? I rubbed this against the curb when I was backing into the spot. Will it matter if I get a different brand of tyre to the other 3 tyres

If I do need a new tyre what tyre do people recommend? 

PXL_20230918_134026501.MP.jpg

That looks like you’ve seriously compromised the structure of the sidewall.  If you have a spare or a SpaceSaver, I would change the tyre rather than risk driving on it if you don’t have to!

As Steve says, if the other tyre on the axle is down to 3mm, then replace them both.  Ideally, all four tyres should be the same.

And I know these are rear tyres, but in case you weren’t aware, the newest tyres should always go on the rear axle anyway - irrespective of whether the car’s front or rear drive.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links