Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Dad (or Mum) had one of those…

First_Lexus

23 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Nostalgia trip then ……. Buddy at work just before we had our first company cars as impoverished junior bank managers …….. bought a brand new Lancia ( Fulvia was it ? ) which FAILED its very first MOT on rust ……. those halcyon days of some Italian cars 

Malc

I seem to remember that part of the deal that saw FIAT/Lancia sell the old 124/125 production lines to the Soviet Union and Poland (to become the Lada 1200/1500/Riva and FSO 1300/1500/Polonez) was for Soviet steel to be sold to FIAT/Lancia for car production at a knock down price…although Wikipedia suggests this is an urban myth!

…unfortunately the steel was sub-standard, hence the rust issues for Italian cars in the 1970s, which ended up with Lancia withdrawing from the U.K. market following the ‘Beta’ rust fiasco.

Wikipedia notes;

“Unfortunately the Beta gained a reputation for being rust-prone, particularly the 1st Series vehicles (built from 1972 to 1975). A widely circulated rumor states that the cars used Soviet steel supplied to Fiat in return for building the Lada factory.[20] However, these claims have never been verified. The steel problems are more likely due to poor rustproofing techniques as well as the prolonged strikes that plagued Italy at that time rather than the metal's origin.”

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

unfortunately the steel was sub-standard, hence the rust issues

driving thru' Turin in about 2018 I did note the road steel crash barriers were of a very very rusty colour in the most part .  comparing our UK ones of maybe bright galvanised colour

I put that down to the same quality steel being used in my buddy's Lancia all that time back

Malc

2 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

driving thru' Turin in about 2018 I did note the road steel crash barriers were of a very very rusty colour in the most part .  comparing our UK ones of maybe bright galvanised colour

I put that down to the same quality steel being used in my buddy's Lancia all that time back

Malc

In my best Michael Caine voice 'did you know' that touring through Turin set to music is the theme tune to the Lone Ranger ! 'Not a lot of people know that'.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

A friend of mine bought a Lancia Beta - it had been Ziebarted! Do you remember Ziebart rustproofing?

Made no difference at all! It rusted from the inside out!

Ziebart, certainly do remember that. A little yellow ‘shield’ sticker usually on the rear window and lots of rubber plugs in the sills and door shuts where holes had been drilled and the rustproofing gunk sprayed in!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Lone Ranger !

I always got confused between William Tell theme and the Lone ranger theme on the telly.

I like the bit below where Tonto refers to the lone Ranger as " He who knows nothing"  

kemosabe" might actually be "quien no sabe" meaning "one who knows nothing"

Here's a good link:

What does "quimo sabe" mean?

votes

What does "quimo sabe" mean?

updated MAR 2, 2011
posted by humbertoromero

11 Answers

votes

Welcome to the forum. That's not Spanish. The correct spelling is Kimosabe. Check out this llink

updated MAR 2, 2011
posted by gone
I see that the different site owners know how to google also. - 0074b507, MAR 1, 2011
votes

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IBVPgalgRAk/TMwuyGLcD3I/AAAAAAAACuc/9_ssTfs3_9o/s1600/Lone+Ranger+Kemosabe+Larsen.jpg

updated MAR 1, 2011
posted by Gekkosan
A classic! I miss Gary Larson. - pesta, MAR 1, 2011
lol - Snowleopard, MAR 1, 2011
vote

This is from the urban dictionary. By the way, it is better to write 19th century than 1800s, which to many Spanish and English speakers implies the time period between 1800 and 1810.

The Lone Ranger was a long-running early radio and television show based on a masked cowboy in the American Old West, who gallops about righting injustices, usually with the aid of a clever and laconic American Indian called Tonto, and his horse Silver.

Tonto greets the Lone Ranger with the expression "kemosabe", which has also been written "Kemo Sabe" or "Kemo Sabhay". The origin of this expression is somewhat unclear, but James Jewell, an early director of the radio series, said the name comes from a boy's camp located on Mullett Lake, Michigan that his father-in-law had run from 1911 to 1941. The translation was said to mean "trusty scout." Fran Striker, the writer of the Lone Ranger scripts, said the actual expression was Ta-i ke-mo sah-bee, which he said meant "greetings trusty scout". In the pilot of the Clayton Moore TV series, "Enter the Lone Ranger", Tonto explicitly states that "Kemosabe" means "trusty scout".

updated MAR 2, 2011
posted by Encalada
vote

Interestingly i just saw this reference in my SAT Spanish book. It says that there is speculation that Tonto might actually by Mexican and the expression "kemosabe" might actually be "quien no sabe" meaning "one who knows nothing"

In which case, the two are actually exchanging insults: Tonto = Fool and Kemosabe = Fool

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

A friend of mine bought a Lancia Beta - it had been Ziebarted! Do you remember Ziebart rustproofing?

Made no difference at all! It rusted from the inside out!

In its defence, I had one as a Company car for, I think, a couple of years.  Perhaps I didn’t have it long enough, but my recollection is of a very comfortable car that was a pleasure to drive and proved faultless during my ownership.

I particularly recall an Italian neighbour commenting approvingly about it - and being especially impressed at my correct pronunciation of the name ‘Lancia’!  😊

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, LenT said:

and being especially impressed at my correct pronunciation of the name ‘Lancia’!

…which is? I’ve always believed it to be ‘Lan - cha’ based on my one visit to Italy 😇

• Like 2

Our family car was a Morris Minor, heater on full in summer holiday traffic jams to avoid overheating.

My friend whose dad owned a garage had a red Daimler Sovereign (the upmarket version of a Jaguar XJ6) with electric windows and 8-track stereo.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

…which is? I’ve always believed it to be ‘Lan - cha’ based on my one visit to Italy 😇

That’s the way to do it, Ed.

But it was in the day when the English way was…Larn-seea.  And probably still is!

Oh how we laughed!  😊

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LenT said:

That’s the way to do it, Ed.

But it was in the day when the English way was…Larn-seea.  And probably still is!

Oh how we laughed!  😊

When I was young there were plenty of anglicised pronunciations. What we now call Audi (ow - dee) used to be ‘awe-Dee’ 😅. Let’s not even discuss Hyundai - ‘High tech, high spec, HIGH - OON - DIE’ as the adverts used to proclaim. Funny how they’re now having to do another advert telling us we (and they) were wrong all along!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/30/2023 at 7:48 PM, Jgtcracer said:

Cream Talbot Solara for me, I remember my brother and I sitting in it as small kids without any form of booster seat or safety devices….

After that a series of Peugeot 405s and 406s.  Consequently, I’ve always been a Japanese fan!!

Close to my memories.

Dad had:

Hillman Hunter

Chrysler Hunter

Both Hunters spent the summer holidays driving to Italy.

Talbot Solara in Red

Peugeot 309

Peugeot 406

and his last car when he retired and down sized but wanted something reliable a Skoda Fabia.

I can't remember what he had before the Hunters.

@First_Lexus …which is? I’ve always believed it to be ‘Lan - cha’ based on my one visit to Italy 😇

I can confirm as 'ci' in Italian is pronounced Cha as in my name Luciano - Loo-cha-no 

• Like 4

On 9/30/2023 at 7:48 PM, Jgtcracer said:

Cream Talbot Solara for me, I remember my brother and I sitting in it as small kids without any form of booster seat or safety devices….

After that a series of Peugeot 405s and 406s.  Consequently, I’ve always been a Japanese fan!!

My 4th car was a Talbot Solara in blue, bit of a change from the Triumph TR7 that came before it.

The first of my Dad's cars I remember was an Austin Westminster UNK 582E. He had this for many years until he got onto the Company Car ladder and brought home an Sand Glow Yellow Austin Princess 1700HL PAV 132R (with brown velour seats). At that time, it was verboten to have anything other than an Austin, Ford, Chrysler or Vauxhall. None of that foreign tat was allowed. 

The Princess spent a lot of its time back at the local Marshalls dealership with Hydrolastic issues. This meant that Dad had to endure one of the pool 1750 Maxis while it was fixed (which was a long time)

image.thumb.png.853f07eac3aace425cd4fea6011f0a32.png

Mum hated this car and whilst Dad was on one of his many business trips abroad, bashed the front wing in a local car park. It was also extremely reticent about going into second gear. I hated the vinyl seats. Being a young 'un at that time I wore shorts a lot. Summer, shorts, vinyl seats - you know the rest.

The Princess was eventually changed for a bright yellow Chrysler Alpine S XFL 283T which was fitted with headlamp wipers. Not those crappy wiper blade wipers like those awful German cars had, but proper scrubby things. The car had numerous electronic ignition woes and despite Dad working at least a mile away, we could always hear him coming home due to the noise the tappets made.

The Alpine then went and in came a Rover 2300. 

image.thumb.png.28a4d0c2a65462783611cfe2c66120d1.png

I was gutted that he wasn't able to get a 2300S with the front spoiler and better wheel trims, but this was still a lot of fun. Dad went to his grave unaware of the japes which my friends and I got up to when he foolishly lent it to me for nights out. Sadly this too was afflicted with many woes. The worst of which was having to have a new back section welded on because the original welding cracked. During this time he was lent this beast - a 3500SE - by the manager of the local Marshalls while he went on holiday:

image.thumb.png.55aa6fe39dc61768e9da16779d5ead9a.png

My lasting memory of this car was Dad getting into a panic because my sister had tried to put all four electric windows down and once and it had tripped a fuse or something. This was late at night and there was no handbook (or Internet) to refer to so he had to gingerly squeeze it into the garage to stop it getting soaked in the rain.

When the time came to replace the 2300, Rovers were off the company car list due to reliability issues. Along came a Granada 2.0 GL C693 JBO. Again, I was miffed that he wasn't able to get a GLS with better wheels and a rev counter instead of a humungous clock in the middle of the dash:

image.thumb.png.0bc9015e2228277e887e22eba3f89387.png

My Sixth Form friends and I liked this because we discovered that you could get lots of us in it at once, thus saving on taxi fares and disturbing other parents. It didn't have power steering but I remember the lights were great.

Moving on a few years, Rovers were back on the list. Along came F717 YAV which was an 827SLi Fastback. I really enjoyed this car. It was bright red and went like **** off the proverbial stick. My first experience of torque steer. This was the car which I took to Silverstone after graduating and had the episode with the Lotus Esprit on the Oundle Bypass on the way home (it's on here somewhere).

F717 YAV was replaced by H693 EWD which was another 827SLi Fastback but the facelifted model. I wasn't so keen on this one - mainly because I wasn't allowed to drive it because the company car insurance scheme had been tightened up. It also had a spoiler on the tailgate which looked very naff.

Dad retired at 55 and stuck to Rovers. I wanted him to have a Jag but he wouldn't listen. He had a 420SLi which was a rocket ship. I remember totally humbling a 323 on acceleration in it. He wasn't happy. The 420SLi was then swapped for a succession of 620SLi's then he went onto 75s. With advancing age, he then decided that the 75 would best be replaced by Satan, the Toyota iQ which has been featured on here too (the one with the Battery issue).

Mum had a few cars - a number of Rover 200's (she did as she was told), an iQ and a series 2 Nissan Micra (which was great to hurl around), but there were two cars which stuck out. The first was her Suzuki SC100:

image.thumb.png.823813da365534309de07e5b52a4b111.png

I think she only got this because I'd just passed my test and my parents thought it would save them ferrying me around. I managed to get seven Sixth Formers inside. Progress wasn't rapid, and bumps weren't comfortable but I did make a bit of money out of the journey. 

The Suzuki was replaced by a Vauxhall Nova:

image.thumb.png.da0a395aa342ab1f671808309364bc1f.png

This was a sporty little number with SR style seats, wheel trims, an FM stereo, sunroof and side stripes. This became my first car. I did 80,000 miles in it before trading it in for a Rover 623SLi. 1999 and the Gen 1 IS arrived and the rest, as they say, is history!

• Like 2

What a lovely thread 🙂

After driving all sorts of things in the Army dad started with a BSA Silver Star motorbike, he used it for the road and scrambling too. 

Austin 7

Morris Minor

Vauxhall Viva HA White 1964 B Reg (first car I remember)

Morris 1100 1968 Green F Reg

Vauxhall Viva HC 1971 Gold J Reg

Vauxhall Viva HC 1976 Gold P reg

Hillman Hunter 1978 Red (Copper Beech) S Reg

Talbot Solara 1981 Beige / Black Vinyl Roof W Reg

VW Polo 1986 Gold C Reg

Vauxhall Astra MK2 Blue 1990 G Reg - His last car, I had it for a year before it was stolen and sadly found burnt out by the Police.

Happy memories   

Edited by Neilo
1990 G Reg not 91
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links