Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

License Plate Survey - Please give a one word answer

Boomer54

Do you know why your license plate is white on the front and yellow on the rear of your vehicle?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know why your license plate is white on the front and yellow on the rear of your vehicle?

• Yes
    • No

The reason stated by DVLA is that having a yellow plate on the rear helps you the driver to recognise which is the front (white plate) and which is the rear of a car (yellow plate). Hence, when you see a yellow plate heading towards you then you instantly recognise that a car is reversing towards you. You do not have to rely on recognising that the very big thing attached to the plate is reversing. This clearly enhances your ability to react to the manouver.

At any point when you have stopped laughing you may address your responses to the DVLA and certainly NOT to me !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

So, I am interested to know how many drivers, on what is afterall a motoring enthusiasts platform , know why your license plate is white on the front and yellow on the rear of your vehicle.

Please , just answer yes ,or no, you do not have to explain the reason why it is so. Indeed, for other voters I would rather you didn't !

I am just trying to take the 'temp' on knowledge of this law to see if it actually upholds the underlying rational for it's existence, or if it is just another one of those 'bright' ideas somebody had, because they are 'smart' (sic).

Yes.

PS - There is function of survey when you make a post (click on "poll" and you will have option of adding question and multi choice answer). I am sure admin can edit it to make a survey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

When all cars look like this …

I remember seeing a TV debate in Denmark some years ago about a possible colour differentiation of rear and front plates along UK lines.  Nothing came of the proposal but, as matter of interest, the car mostly used  to illustrate their point by those in favour was the classic VW Beetle, whose front and rear in certain conditions of light and distances were not always easy to tell apart. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

I remember seeing a TV debate in Denmark some years ago about a possible colour differentiation of rear and front plates along UK lines.  Nothing came of the proposal but, as matter of interest, the car mostly used  to illustrate their point by those in favour was the classic VW Beetle, whose front and rear in certain conditions of light and distances were not always easy to tell apart. 

So, basically they decided to use the outlier to justify their need . Please, will someone introduce Quants much earlier into the Education system.

I wonder how many accidents occur in Ireland each year due to their non-yellow rear number plates...

And how do Americans cope with some of their states requiring no front plate at all.

🙄

• Like 3

Yes, it is interesting as a topic at least in so far as so many other countries have not adopted this system. Perhaps our regulation bods are just so infinitely smarter than the rest of the world (sic) ?

There is a decent research project here for some budding behavioral psychologist.

If I am bluntly honest it really is just one more example to me of bureaucracy that is out of control. it only ever expands and so rarely do we see it peeled back. Meanwhile little by little areas of our life that should be personal choice are eroded. Ok, it is obviously becoming clear that I am no fan boy for 'big government'.

• Like 1

I can remember watching Tomorrow's World in the late 60's when this was talked about and demonstrated. Reflective plates were introduced to make cars more visible and for registrations to be read at night. White with black digits was deemed best, and because white cannot be shown on the rear of a vehicle, yellow was chosen.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

I can remember watching Tomorrow's World in the late 60's when this was talked about and demonstrated. Reflective plates were introduced to make cars more visible and for registrations to be read at night. White with black digits was deemed best, and because white cannot be shown on the rear of a vehicle, yellow was chosen.

Remember the program well although not that episode. Suppose our question remains who decided white cannot be shown on the rear of a vehicle ,and indeed why not?

I struggle to believe that someone thought the colour of a license plate was required to be able to tell one end of a car from another. If so perhaps they would like to look down the barrel of a rifle and tell us if the business end needs further identification.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Tomorrow's World. Now that was a great programme. The one that stuck in my mind was an anti-noise generator for all cars to be silent inside. I believe that some top range Mercs and BMW's now have them! Probably a bit smaller than the suitcase sized box Judith Hann (I think) demonstrated!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Neilo said:

No

So the colour of our front headlights and rear light lenses tell us nothing then 🤪   

I think that is the conclusion that I drew. If probably well over half the people driving are blissfully aware of why plates are a different colour then the rule can hardly be achieving it's aim.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links