Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

V8 to EV

I’d been debating getting an EV for the last few months ironically off the back of getting a UX ev the last few times I’ve had visits to Lexus. I have a free charger at work, so the financial benefits were obvious. 

Only issue I had was it was a bit small and the range was pretty bad when I used them. I did start looking at what I could jump out of my ISF into and not lose the will to live. 

I liked the Jag iPace, Polestar 2 dual motor and the Tesla model 3 performance. After a bit of shopping around I picked up a 3 yr old model 3 performance with only 9.5k miles on it. 

The jump from analogue to digital is eye opening to say the least. With no theatre, gates of hell opening or wheel slip the acceleration is the most savage I’ve experienced. The instant response and rapid acceleration will take some getting use to. 

Things I didn’t expect, the Tesla is actually lower stanced than the ISF. It’s very planted with virtually no body roll although I’ve not really took it on many twisties yet. But the extra weight has not been noticeable at all. Oh and the stereo is hands down the best factory car stereo I’ve ever heard. I thought the Mark Levinson we had was good, but this is amazing.

The ISF is up for sale, but I suspect I’ll have it for a few weeks yet so will be able to compare the two more thoroughly. I’ll take some pics when the weather is better and they’re both clean. 

• Like 6

remember you can simply refill the V8 at any petrol station in a matter of a few minutes ..............  should you wish to go " out of range " journeying anywhere

maybe just hang on to your 14 year young ISF !  for those olden time carefree worry free trips 

Malc

22 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

Well done, enjoy and keep us posted.

How is quality and any software issues due to the fact you aren't the   first owner?

Also any issues with insurance?

Tesla don’t use physical keys. You have 2 credit card keys registered to the car which you can pair and unpair. 

You can register a mobile phone in the app and once you send proof of identification and ownership you’re added on as an owner. 

This then allows you to control the car and schedule when you want it ready for in the morning, it will heat itself up and precondition the Battery. The phone acts as the key, and will work to unlock and lock the car based on proximity. I’ve also activated pin to drive, as an extra layer of security, which means the car asks for a pin before it will move. 

There was a software update available when I picked it up. Having built in Netflix, Disney and YouTube along with the main streaming music apps means it’s not a chore to spend time in  

Insurance was a big jump, it’s in the top group of insurance and cost me £1300 compared to the £563 I paid in April for the isf. 

44 minutes ago, d3ron said:

You can register a mobile phone in the app and once you send proof of identification and ownership you’re added on as an owner. 

so no problem registering then? How do you register the app, does the seller provide you with a password or something?

I have been thinking about a second use tesla and built quality and this type of small niggles always put me off.

Each to his own I guess, three of my friends own Tesla's but all they do is drive from their home to their factories so they suffer no range anxiety. They no longer offer me drives in the cars as I deflated their balloon by being less than enthusiastic about them. The regenerative braking is the only thing I liked for about 10 minutes the rest they can keep, bloody awful was my opinion. I understand the is an insurance crisis with them on the horizon, and I keep seeing reports of charging station issues. I can see how from a business point of view they seem to make sense.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, talaipwros said:

so no problem registering then? How do you register the app, does the seller provide you with a password or something?

I have been thinking about a second use tesla and built quality and this type of small niggles always put me off.

So the previous sellers phone was deregistered. When you register a new one, you have to send a pic of your id and proof of ownership via the app. 

Someone checks that and then approves. 

• Like 1

Good luck and all that, I have to say I am coming from the opposite direction and looking to hold on to my analogue ISF for as long as possible, before I have to hand in my ba**s and migrate to an EV.  I really, really, don't get the attraction myself, but then I don't have to commute as such, if I did, and needed a main car, I can see the case, but it would have nothing to do with driving experience, love or passion.

no offence meant...

Been in a number of EVs, seems like the dashboards are more like the bridge of the Star Ship Enterprise (though even combustion cars are just as bad), and IMHO mainly impressed.

However quite a few mates with EV seem to have the cars in garage more often then expected, when I assumed EVs with less moving parts should be not having much wrong in first years of life. 

I am more wondering where the heck all the solar panels are going to go to feed the grid, and having just listened to a podcast on sand, the challenge is making sure that not only Chile and China are the source of high grade quartz to make the solar panels.

12 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I am more wondering where the heck all the solar panels are going to go to feed the grid, and having just listened to a podcast on sand, the challenge is making sure that not only Chile and China are the source of high grade quartz to make the solar panels.

The national grid seem confident that they have more than enough capacity:

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journey-to-net-zero/electric-vehicles-myths-misconceptions

As for solar panels, then yes, China makes around 80% of them but as I undertand it they have to import much of their high grade quartz, and the largest deposits are mostly in the US.

What would be cool is if/when solar panel tech gets to the stage that it's viable to have solar panels on car roofs.

2 hours ago, Grey One said:

Good luck and all that, I have to say I am coming from the opposite direction and looking to hold on to my analogue ISF for as long as possible, before I have to hand in my ba**s and migrate to an EV.  I really, really, don't get the attraction myself, but then I don't have to commute as such, if I did, and needed a main car, I can see the case, but it would have nothing to do with driving experience, love or passion.

no offence meant...

Don't worry, I'm not offended at all. We're all petrol heads who own 'F's. If I was bothered by others opinions I wouldn't have posted it here. This is the opposite of the cares we own.

I can however give an unvarnished unfiltered perspective of having one and using it in anger. I'm genuinely impressed by the performance of the thing. Performance brakes however are a lie. They would need upgrading if you wanted to do anything near a track. Also the seats despite being comfy offer nothing in the way of holding you in place.

Being used to 250 miles out of a tank, the Battery range is on a par, so I'm not hyper mileing it. The insurance premiums may turn out to be a blessing, because I can see a lot of these being picked up cheaply and punted into a hedge, due to the power on tap.

• Like 2

I'm tempted by the new Hyundai Ioniq 5 N. 641bhp of instant power and lower centre of gravity would be fun! I have my name down for a test drive.

We have EV cars at work and Teslas in the family. I personally see them needing some way to go, but they're certainly becoming more appealing. Should my promotion take me away from my home area, I'll consider an EV for the commute.

The one thing I did not appreciate is that with company car tax situation it makes real sense to go EV, so one assume fleet owners want cars that work, so possibly that will drive more development and better quality.  As to 641bhp that sounds fun and dangerous with the 25 year old me (and quite possibly the 65 year old me as well).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

The one thing I did not appreciate is that with company car tax situation it makes real sense to go EV, so one assume fleet owners want cars that work, so possibly that will drive more development and better quality.  As to 641bhp that sounds fun and dangerous with the 25 year old me (and quite possibly the 65 year old me as well).

Or if you are not to 30 bhp you could just plump for a Ferrari Roma Spider.

I have been in hyper cars, IMHO I am not a fan of the noise when you really put the foot down.

So no Ferrari for me and as i do not have a pooch, I have no use for the back seats.

But I will say a lovely looking design, nicer than the SC430 (probably not as reliable though)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I have been in hyper cars, IMHO I am not a fan of the noise when you really put the foot down.

So no Ferrari for me and as i do not have a pooch, I have no use for the back seats.

But I will say a lovely looking design, nicer than the SC430 (probably not as reliable though)

That's one reason why I am tempted in a performance EV. Fast, instant, and deadly quiet. Personally with a V8 and CATless headers, it's a bit of an occasion for everyone when I floor it 🤣

• 5 months later...

My ISF ownership is now over. Nice chap came and bought it today. Hopefully he joins the forums and has as much enjoyment out of it as I did. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links