Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Jim,

I'm a journalist for MailOnline. I have written stories about how Range Rovers are becoming uninsurable due to things like high theft.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13040943/uninsurable-Range-Rover-owner-quote-14000-insurance-stolen-one-day-later.html

I've been digging into some stats and I think that Lexus cars, specifically RXs, may be facing the same problem.

I saw your post from last year and you have had this problem. I was wondering if you would be free for a chat?

My email is oliver.price@mailonline.co.uk, can you pop me over an email if you'd want to talk?

Best,

Oliver Price

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, oliverprice said:

I'm a journalist for MailOnline. I have written stories about how Range Rovers are becoming uninsurable due to things like high theft.

It would be great for you to look into the Lexus Canbus issue which affects a number of recent Lexus vehicles being very vulnerable to theft, the insurance issue is a secondary effect.

Although Lexus have developed a modification for the RX, they have not actively communicated this to owners and have done nothing for other affected vehicles.

JLR seem to be much more proactive in addressing this issue.

You could start with contacting Lexus Customer Relations cr@lexus.co.uk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Lexus Canbus issue which affects a number of recent Lexus vehicles being very vulnerable to theft, the insurance issue is a secondary effect.

It would seem that some insurance companies are tarring all Lexus with the same brush . Mine has no Canbus but was still refused insurance for the first time this year.

Mine was a rather shocking £945 for social only, no points and grey hair!

I tried shopping around but this was the best deal that allowed European holidays.

• Thanks 1

Talking to a friend over the weekend.

He has a 2020 Range Rover, lives in Chorley, Lancs.

He can only find one insurer for £8900 and his insurance runs out in 6 weeks.

He recons that if he had been paying his insurance monthly, they would have cancelled it.

I was seriously considering trading in my 2007 RX400h for a RX450h, but as it's just sailed through the MOT, I'll hang on in the hope that insurance rates will stabilise, but can't see it happening somehow.

If the insurance situation doesn't improve by next year, I'll reluctantly have to look at another make.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ridgeback said:

Talking to a friend over the weekend.

He has a 2020 Range Rover, lives in Chorley, Lancs.

He can only find one insurer for £8900 and his insurance runs out in 6 weeks.

He recons that if he had been paying his insurance monthly, they would have cancelled it.

I was seriously considering trading in my 2007 RX400h for a RX450h, but as it's just sailed through the MOT, I'll hang on in the hope that insurance rates will stabilise, but can't see it happening somehow.

If the insurance situation doesn't improve by next year, I'll reluctantly have to look at another make.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I do not think insurance premiums are going back where they where they were. That is, do any of us think the inflationary inputs are going to reverse? Those salary increases, energy costs, and a host of other such. I suspect the best we can hope for is they flatline for the immediate future. Other issues such as repair costs for EV are a separate issue and I have little idea on that issue other than the obvious view that if Battery cost do not change radically why would any repair costs associated with them. Sorry not a very positive summary for you.

• Sad 1

Good Morning All I have just received the below email from my insurer

policy number: FLOXXXXXXXX

Hi Daniel,

We're unable to give you a renewal quote for XXXXXXXX

This is because our underwriting criteria is no longer being met and we are now no longer able to provide insurance for this vehicle/ driver(s).

We’ve included proof of your no claim discount to help you arrange a policy with another insurer.

Your cover will end on 16 March 2024 at 23:59 and you'll no longer be insured with us.

This e-mail replaces any previous quotes we may have sent you.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 1:06 PM, Jimbrodie1 said:

Well after a morning of searching, the best I could get this year was £933 up from just over £500 last year 😲

2022 RX450h,

63 year old,

full no claims,

1 SP30,

social use only

stored in locked garage overnight

8000 miles per year

live in Staffordshire 

All the same details location etc, yet a £400 increase to £933 😡😡😡😡

Keeping a car in a garage overnight incurs an excess over one that is on a driveway, perhaps hard to believe but true, actually putting a wet car into a garage does it no favours and accelerates rusting especially if it is a wooden garage, it's good to have a second named driver on a policy this also reduces the premium.

• Like 2

Interesting that the DM article placed Lexus as the most stolen brand as well as the RX as the most stolen car. The NX is not on the list but few MY23 sold and MY24 all had only one key while the new key software was brought in. I understand that the CANBUS routing is not as exposed as the RX.

Also of note is the RAV4 in the top 10. When I changed from my RAV4 to MY24NX 450h+, I actually got an insurance rebate from NFU.

I spend 6months of the year in EU but on a gated community with regular security patrols (next door has a Ferrari and Bentley!) 

On 2/14/2024 at 8:45 AM, Danny Cowell said:

My Insurer was Flow. They are part of LV

I suspect LV are withdrawing from the Hybrid market.

• Sad 1

On 2/14/2024 at 10:06 AM, BillSt said:

Interesting that the DM article placed Lexus as the most stolen brand as well as the RX as the most stolen car. The NX is not on the list but few MY23 sold and MY24 all had only one key while the new key software was brought in. I understand that the CANBUS routing is not as exposed as the RX.

The newer current-gen NX (like the new RX) have an encrypted canbus, that isn’t vulnerable to the current injection theft. It’s not just about the location of wiring but how messages on the canbus are treated. 

• Like 3

I used to have a copy of the £6K quote from lexus insurance somewhere.  Happy to provide this if I can find it and my personal details are removed. 

We are in the same situation. We had three theft attempts last year. Only one resulted in a claim as the cost of repair to damage was over the excess (£1000). All this was before Lexus developed the Protection Plate.

We paid to get our protection plate fitted before it was done by Lexus free of charge, had a secondary immobiliser and bollards installed on the drive. Use a steering lock (disclock) both at home and when parking out. We also got the optional extra at the time of buying the car and fitted front and rear dashcams.

Despite all our efforts the insurance quote is coming at over £3K! We only do about 2500 miles a year!

Live others, we have had LV write to us saying they are unable to insure. 

Anyone know of an insurer who is prepared to insure taking into account all the additional security measures we have taken?

• Sad 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links