Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How far in the red

Just was wondering how far has anyone tried to run there Lexus with the petrol red light on..I have done 25miles and then bottled out and went to the local station..I know it is not the done thing to do but if we all had an idea of what was safe before running out it might be useful in a sticky time..:?:

Isn't it 6 litres left once the light comes on ? - in which case I guess it depends on the driving you are doing at the time ! - I've only done 20 miles when on the red - wasn't very daring I'm afraid !

Top Tip : The next guy you see walking to the petrol station with a petrol can, ask him if he owns an IS200 - then you'll find out for sure :lol:

Originally posted by GRiM

Best not to run your car too low.

The older your car the more likely the chance of small particles of dirt and debris lying at the bottom of your petrol tank.

When you run your tank very low, you run the risk these particles being drawn up and entering your fuel system.

At worst, this can cause a blockage, or damage to your fuel system.

My advise would be to fill up 10-15 miles max, after the fuel warning light, unless of course your stuck.

Not if you run on the red line all the time like me :lol:

It rarely see's above the quarter mark

well when the red fuel warning light comes on you have about 10 litres left approx 2 gallons in oldy worldy speak so u have loads left.

as for the particles you have a fuel filter - fuel tank is plastic so no probs there only thing you might encounter is you will have a very very thin amount of water in the bottom of the tank but before you will even get close to this being taken into the engine the car would have to be virtually running on fumes! ( you know what i mean)

When I first test drove the car, the first thing I noticed when I started it up was that the fuel was well below the empty line (way past red light district!)... so I asked the sales guy if we had to fill up... he said 'no, don't worry, when we get it at delivery, it comes with even less few.' So I went on to some quick driving for some 15miles.

Nowadays I fill up about 10miles into the red, no more..... I have done about 20.

The last time I went into red, I set the odometer, and chickened out at 40miles of town driving.

On getting to the shell optimax pump, myy car greedly swallowed 66 liters of high octane optimax, setting me back a whopping £51:!:

My car is still on a HIGH:yes:

Looks as if 30mile in the red is a safe target if you were stuck...ever low when I had only done 25 mile the needle was on the top of E on empty..I was watching the gauge more than the road:lol: So if your about N Ireland and see a Black IS with the drivers head buried in the dash it could be me:lol::lol:

Iv'e done 30 miles after the light comes on, but i was taking it very very carefully and praying that the petrol station wouldn't be closed..Then i filled up and worked out i still had a gallon left!!!:wow:

Ive done about 44miles when on the orange, but i was pumping & gliding. I never run it down but I got lost in one of those twilight zone middle of nowhere countryside places!!! To tell you the truth, I was really surprised to get that far, I rekon the car was running on fumes!!

Originally posted by sholao

The last time I went into red, I set the odometer, and chickened out at 40miles of town driving.

On getting to the shell optimax pump, myy car greedly swallowed 66 liters of high octane optimax, setting me back a whopping £51:!:

£51 what a relief - try driving an LS. Running out would be bad news as you would wreck the cat and that's a lot of £51's.

My car is still on a HIGH:yes:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links