Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Fogs as brake lights!!!

hi , i have changed my wiring a little to allow the rear fogs to also act as brake lights, but they wil also be foglights only.

it took me about an hour to do( working out wires and joints etc) but alls well now - only thing i have noticed is that the fogs, althought the same wattage as the brake lights, are a little bit brighter!

Ill be putting up a wiring diagram and what equip is needed in the next day or so. But in the meantime if anyone has any Q's PM me.

please note that this mod is NOT road legal, and if you also choose to do this any consequences will be your sole responsibility.

The good thing on mine is that the fogs are the brake lights:lol: BUT I don't have any fogs wired into the car. I'm not sure if this a MOT failure or not.

It looks like it's illegal 'cause the fog lights and stop lights have to be a minimum of 10cm apart and cannot be electrically connected...

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_1989...n_16.htm#nsch11

Mind you it also says that the fog lights should be red and mine are a bit sort of pink now...;)

Originally posted by norkep

Good, I'll not bother to wire up any fogs then, the car looks SEXYYY from the back at night with 7 lots of brake lights going.:lol:

I thought if you imported a car without fog lights you had to have them fitted to pass the UK MOT. Didn't you have to get an MOT when you imported it? Thats why you see imports with a 'bolted on' fog light.

when I got the car, it had just been MOTed but I just read the regs for vehicle lighting so I may just stick some lights on and then remove after the MOT. May work - may not. Don't lose anything untill you try.

in reply to admins Q - the fogs operate as they normally do, the only diff is that they come on when you brake - apart from that nothing has changed.

i couldnt find a disc today to ill put the diag up on thurs i suppose.

cheers rob.

here are the promised wiring diagrams for people wishing to convert thier fogs to act as brake lights - the fogs will also act normally when required.

With this mod the only difference will be that you get 5 brake lights instead if the normal 3.

Please note that if you carry out this mod you will assume ALL responsibility for any consequences in doing so - If anything goes wrong its your fault.!!!

I can if required make up a few ready made kits ( wire directly into/ draw power from the brake light type)

the cost will be only for the raw materials, postage and packing etc. - I will not make any money on this.

To be fair to everybody the first 5 people who PM me will have the kits made for them.

I have to find out the total cost but it wont be very much - below 10 pounds sterling easily.

cheers rob.

• 2 weeks later...

can everybody who u2u'd me please do so again as in my move( im back in UK now) i seem to have misplaced the list for kits -

Dont worry people u will still get a kit - it is as u read this being road tested, instructions, ease of fitting at home, etc etc

(when i fitted mine i was in a workshop with all the equip)

cheers rob.

• 2 weeks later...

ok all, i have started to send out kits to those that have re-sent thier info to me.

Unfortunatly it has proved a little more difficult to do a dual filament conversion at this time but i am in the process of getting one ready - keep u posted.

for those of u going to JAE - i will do a fitting service for you (for free) if you wish, or let me know if u want it sent out instead.

andy/zee - ill do urs at jae if you still wish.

rob

Originally posted by lexussport

I have read the attachment posted by Javadude earlier.

My understanding after reading item 10 of his post that this modification is illegal!! or have i read it wrong (cause sometimes I do)?

no you have not read it wrong - it isnt legal, The decision to do this or not has to always rest with the final recipient and any consequences will be thiers alone.

I have had quite a few plod cars behind me recently but none have done anything or given me a second look. - that is not to say that in your area they wont!!!!

you can turn the fog light into a tail/foglight you just need to use the fitting for the tail light ie dual filament - but that will still be illegal.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links