Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance on courtesy cars

trevorx

I've read a few of you are paying the £10 insurance charge being requested by the dealers.

Have you tried your own insurance. If I only have a courtesy car for 1 day and I can give the details i.e. Reg, value etc I get it covered for free ... bargain.

I've paid for insurance on the courtesy cars I've had - they 'almost' charged me for insurance for having a car whilst mine was having warranty work carried out :mad: - Never got to the stage of arguing because they waived it before I could say anything.

This is Lexus Hatfield by the way.

At Lexus Stafforshire our Service Dept charge £7.50 +VAT but that just covers fuel & servicing/valeting costs

Because they allways supply a car with at least quarter of a tank of fuel and they are properley maintained and kept clean

With regards to insurance,if a customer doesn't use their own insurance company to insure the coutesy car then they go on the company insurance,but on that the only charge would be insurance excess if they were involved in an accident

Originally posted by fluff34567

that is mad - never heard of such a thing! if you have comprehensive insurance then driving another car is normally included - it is on mine.

Don't forget this cover is 3rd party only when driving another car, if you have an accident, they would not repair the car you were driving (unless this is a courtesy car from an approved repairer while you car is being repaired).

This means if you drive a lexus courtesy, and they don't have insurance that covers you (eg as Chris has said), then you could have to pay for car repairs if you had an accident. I'm sure Lexus dealers would have a policy that covers you b4 offering courtesy cars.

Chris, is this the same case with people who are offered test drives?

Originally posted by sholao
Originally posted by fluff34567

that is mad - never heard of such a thing! if you have comprehensive insurance then driving another car is normally included - it is on mine.

Don't forget this cover is 3rd party only when driving another car, if you have an accident, they would not repair the car you were driving (unless this is a courtesy car from an approved repairer while you car is being repaired).

This means if you drive a lexus courtesy, and they don't have insurance that covers you (eg as Chris has said), then you could have to pay for car repairs if you had an accident. I'm sure Lexus dealers would have a policy that covers you b4 offering courtesy cars.

Chris, is this the same case with people who are offered test drives?

Yes thats right,they normally ask to see their driving licence as well because the company insurance providers will not cover people who have been banned or have had a serious conviction

Originally posted by jenners

I've paid for insurance on the courtesy cars I've had - they 'almost' charged me for insurance for having a car whilst mine was having warranty work carried out :mad: - Never got to the stage of arguing because they waived it before I could say anything.

This is Lexus Hatfield by the way.

Lexus Hatfield have always charged me £10 aswell!! Just thought it was standard, never questioned it!!!!:flaming:

Ours at Lexus Staffordshire used to be free but it got to the stage where we would fill them with fuel,valet them etc,then lend them out to customers.The trouble was certain people would bring them back absolutley bone dry of fuel and completely filthy,which was not fair on the next customer

A couple of the courtesy cars I have had have been pretty filthy, one had coke sprayed over the dashboard, and others had obviously been badly mistreated even though they all had under 10k miles. I don't blame the garage I think its bad people treat the cars like that (far more than just thrashing them which I'm sure most of us do).

Just think they probably sell them as a ex-demonstrator or one carefull owner.

Ipswich dealer asks you to sign a disclaimer stating you have fully comp cover for their car and imdemnify them for everything ... before they'll let you take it.

Think i get 3 days of cover for this kind of thing from my insurers before they charge.

This dealer lost the franchise now so maybe the new one will be more 'customer focussed' when they take over in October :D

I've been 'offered' the chance to pay an additional £10. Completely optional but it means that it cuts the excess down from something completely stupid to something just short of daylight robbery.

I hasten to say tho' when I've taken my car to Octogon Bracknell, I've been covered on insurance for free.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links