Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

newbie with a question

Rick-UK

been reading the forums for a couple of days and it seems like a really useful place, so thanks for that.

Taking shipment of an is300 with 6k on the clock when i get back to the uk in a couple of weeks.

So my first question for you guys is, is there something wrong with the is300? Lots of you have heavily modified (body and engine) is200's but the is300 seems to have been left alone, is there something bad about it that i havent read? Is is just the semi box that puts you off/ bad value for money/ or what? Can the engine still be easily modified?

Think im gonna start with the tints on the front windows and perhaps the TRD kit, any thoughts on that appreciated. Deffinitely gonna join the gold membership for the discount on having the kit fitted and for meets and stuff.

Right with all that said, HELLO! :P

Hi Rick - welcome to the club

If I had the money, which I don't :( , then I'd only buy an IS300 if there was a manual version otherwise I'd use the money to add a supercharger to an IS200 and keep that lovely 6-speed :) . Also as it's only available in sports spec it's not cheap - you have to pay for performance and trim even if you're happy with an SE trim level.

Perhaps one day lexus will wake up to both these points (and I'll get a pay rise!). Until then I'm gonna enjoy my IS200.... :bounce:

the is300 engine can be modded - its just that the majority of IS owners here have the 200 - for performance mods have a look at is300.net there are loads of owners there with serious mods. there are also companies that do bolt on turbo kits etc so there is plenty of scope for improving performance from standard.

rob.

My main two reasons for choosing the 200 rather than 300 were;

1 - no manual option

2 - it wasn't out when I bought my car :lol:

The dealer told me it was coming - but I got the impression it was only the Sports Cross which (no offense SC owners) didn't get my juices flowing.

So I bought the 200 - and am still trying to talk the missus into letting me supercharge it! ;)

Good choice of car mate. I've been reading the forum for a few months now. The 200 versus 300 debate has reared it's head from time to time. Some people can't justify the extra cost, and have a pop at the car, others admit that they might have one next, and of course for the odd one or two it just isn't their cup of tea. Most people posting seem quite genuine and constructive in their arguments though, and I agree that there should be a manual option. I would go for the semi auto version everytime though.

I originally test drove a 200, but the performance just wasn't there after owning a CRX Vtec, GTI-6 and then an Accord Type R. So I drove the 300, which I had never heard of, and that was it. I wanted a bit of luxury, and poise, along with a bit of power, but I didn't want to buy anything too common like a BMW or a Merc. I never even thought about buying an automatic before, but now I think auto is the way forward, I'm not sure if I fancy having a manual again now. Not in a car like a Lexus anyway.

Lexus is the way forward and the IS is a great car, no matter what the engine size, trim level or price.

It is down to what the individual want's at the end of the day.

So, again, congratulations on choosing Lexus. Enjoy.

It's the feeling inside !!

Cheers,

bs :P

p.s. Hello !:D:smilegrin::D

I've looked as some of the stuff on is300.net but so far I've felt the need to make any changes to my car. If you do a search on IS300 you will find a lot of sites in the US.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links