Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Mobile Speed Camera Vans

Andy_F

Just on my way back from a journey, and passed a speed camera van as I came out of a corner - at this time my speedo was reading about 34/5 in a 30 limit :ph34r: so I slowed down to 30 well before I actually went passed the van. There didn't appear to be any equipment or people in the front of the van, only an open hatch out the back of the van (which I went past at 30). Do these vans record out the front or only out the back? The back of the van was facing a nice straight bit of the road, where as the front was facing a corner (the one I just came out of). Have I been caught? Damn, it happens the one day that I forget to take the radar detector attachment on my snooper! :hehe:

I got a mate who works as a mechanic for the Copshop and he was informed they nail you in a 30 if your doing over 38mph

I think your safe :D

My method is having no mumberplate on the front - ruins the style IMO :ph34r::whistling:

Sorry Officer I've been meaning to put that plate back on!!!

:whistling::whistling: :winky: :lol:

I got a mate who works as a mechanic for the Copshop and he was informed they nail you in a 30 if your doing over 38mph

I think your safe :D

My method is having no mumberplate on the front - ruins the style IMO :ph34r:  :whistling:

Sorry Officer I've been meaning to put that plate back on!!!

:whistling:  :whistling:  :winky:  :lol:

yea like Lowred says..............think they give you about 5-7 mph over and you be ok so 34-5 you should be ok mate............but any thing over that and i think you would have got done :whistling:

I think you will be ok - but remember - these laser guns pick you up over a mile away, so slowing up just before the van is way too late.

If you see a van, jam on the brakes (where safe) as it confuses the radar and it cannot focus on your speed.

Thanks for the input. I was actually at the front of the van, and the camera was facing out the back. I was just wondering if they could get you out the front as well, but they don't appear to. My GPS was saying 31 i think.

The vans with the hatches at the top of the door are for tax discs, aren't they ? I don't think these record your speed at all.

BTW, the actual speed detector vans are allowed to use their own discretion as to how much they limit the "going over" rate, ie. if the bloke in the van is having a sh1te day they can nick you for doing 31. :angry:

The courts give you a 10% leway for speedo errors and people have one cases with a further 10% on that due to the fact that they need to allow a 10% error for the actual detection equiptment. This happens so much that most police forces are told to only prosecute those over 20%, ie 37 in a 30, 49 in a 40, 61 in a 50, 73 in a 60 and 85 in a 70. I would be particularly suprised if anyone on this board has been done for anything less than 20% over.

This info comes from a particularly reliable source in the police. Bear in mind that your speedo will almost definately read faster than you are actually going.

In particular I have been told that highway patrol officers only chase those approaching 90mph now.

The courts give you a 10% leway for speedo errors and people have one cases with a further 10% on that due to the fact that they need to allow a 10% error for the actual detection equiptment. This happens so much that most police forces are told to only prosecute those over 20%, ie 37 in a 30, 49 in a 40, 61 in a 50, 73 in a 60 and 85 in a 70. I would be particularly suprised if anyone on this board has been done for anything less than 20% over.

This info comes from a particularly reliable source in the police. Bear in mind that your speedo will almost definately read faster than you are actually going.

In particular I have been told that highway patrol officers only chase those approaching 90mph now.

I got stitched 3 years ago for doing 38 in a 40 zone.....

....no-one told me that they had changed the limit to a 30 !! :whistling:

I got stitched 3 years ago for doing 38 in a 40 zone.....

....no-one told me that they had changed the limit to a 30 !! :whistling:

Rule still holds :), but bad luck.

Rest of you naughty naughty speeders anyone break my 20% + rule?

Ok ........ I'l clear up a few things.

Mobile Speed Vans.

Yes they exist, and yes they can prosecute you now for anything over the speed limit.

The old ACPO guidelines don't apply ............... so all this 20% stuff is out of the window.

As for the ones that check for tax ...... that's non existent. DVLA have all of this infor on the computers anyway .......... so no need to set up vans for that. I think what you mean by that IS : ANPR Vans. (automatic number plate reognition vans) they check PNC info files on ur car ............... and that does include tax. You will know if it's an ANPR van as there is about a dozen coppers at the other side of the van .... and about 500 meters down from it ... all wearing bright yellow jackets !

:D

As for the ones that check for tax ...... that's non existent. DVLA have all of this infor on the computers anyway .......... so no need to set up vans for that. I think what you mean by that IS : ANPR Vans. (automatic number plate reognition vans) they check PNC info files on ur car ............... and that does include tax. You will know if it's an ANPR van as there is about a dozen coppers at the other side of the van .... and about 500 meters down from it ... all wearing bright yellow jackets !

These crafty sods park around a corner, off a busy roundabout at 5pm when I leave work - not all nights I might add. Like you put, there are coppers on the other side of the road in a Skoda Octavia, and a Police Bike on the next road.

Although I'd like to add that these vans I approve off as like you put they are there to check that the person driving the car hasn't nicked it, and has paid their tax. ;)

Although I'd like to add that these vans I approve off as like you put they are there to check that the person driving the car hasn't nicked it, and has paid their tax. ;)

I second that.

ANPR = good guys looking for road tax dodgers and nicked cars

Talivan = tossers looking for easy money

Mobile Speed Vans.

Yes they exist, and yes they can prosecute you now for anything over the speed limit.

The old ACPO guidelines don't apply ............... so all this 20% stuff is out of the window.

Well I passed one last week... two video cameras out the back of a van...with DVLA clearly printed on side.... so afraid they definitely still do exists...in Scotland anyway.

They scan cars on road...and then check the data base for ones that are registered as SORN.

Mobile Speed Vans.

Just to add... the 20% wasn't 20% it was 10%+3MPH. At Amhet rightly says, there is no longer this allowance within the ACPO guidelines.

There has never been an allowed tolerance on speed enforcement equipment anything near 10%!... they always round down measurements... also due to the cosine error, they always read in favour of the motorist.. :) not that you will think that when you've just been nicked.

The 10% tolerence on the actual car speedo is still around, that is, they [car makers] are allowed -0% +10% tolerence. What this means is if your caught doing 33 mph by a speed trap, the reaility of it is that you may have been reading 36 mph over and therefore knew you were speeding in the first place!. This difference can go from anything like 3mph at low speed (30mph or less) to as large as 10mph when you get to around the 100mph mark. This tolerence can also change across the speed range also, becomeing less acurate at higher speeds.

Manufacturer's usualy errr on the upper limit of the speedo to compensate for wear and tear in the tyres and drive train over time. On average you will find that your speedo is about 5mph above the real speed. This discrepancy will be a function of the speed you are doing at the time and is generally not linear.

Also, dont rely on you (consumer) GPS for the true speed... again this depends on if you are on an going uphill, downhill or straight. Not only that, the speed is only calculated at the most once a second, and then it is often averaged over time after that... so it's fine for a rough check only. There are even discrepancies between the speed reported in two places of the same programme some times!...

Maybe I should start a speed camera sticky :lol:

*edit*

BTW - yes the ANPR camera vans do exist, they are operated in partnership with the police and DVLA. The majority of people pulled by the pursuit bikes after being flagged on the ANPR hot list are usualy criminals, the road fund or insurance is just one of th ethinks there nicked for at the time!.

Check out a day in the life of Mandy here

If your tax insurance and MOT is up to date you have nothing to hide! :)

so afraid they definitely still do exists...in Scotland anyway.

Well there you go ............. scotland does not form part of England and Wales ...... in terms of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 either .............

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links