Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Decatting?

GALLA_4

Hi guys I have been advised to remove my cats from the manifold on the car as I am going to be installing the TTE compresser. Is this wise?

What does decating do and if you do remove the cats whats the outcome? Do your emissions go through the roof?

Is it hard to do/ expensive?

Any other advice recomendations that would go hand in hand with the TTE compresser would be more than welcome!

GALLA_4

You're just talking about the pre-cats right?

You'll get extra power but yes emissions will go up - if the car is warmed up when tested it should be fine as the main cat will be doing all the work :D

Still need to get mine done at some point!

Don't think it's expensive mate, a lot of people just have them opened up and gutted!

I don't know much about it Owen, but basically I think it allows the exhaust gases to flow better. The only thing regarding emissons and the MOT is that the car need a good run/warm up before the emissions test takes place. Other then that I don't think their are major problems.

:D

Yes Aido its the precats I am on about!

Is it just a case of pulling them out kinda thing?

I'm all for more power! Worried about emmisions though! I wonder does the car still fall well below the acceptable emmision output with the precats removed?

I am thinking this is a good time to do this before the supercharger goes in!!

I don't know much about it Owen, but basically I think it allows the exhaust gases to flow better. The only thing regarding emissons and the MOT is that the car need a good run/warm up before the emissions test takes place. Other then that I don't think their are major problems.

I might be in luck then! As my car goes for its test on Tue Sept 13th and thats it done for 2 years then!! So I am sure I can remove the precats after this date!

Thanks Anees Mate!!!

the pre cats are there to act on gasses before the main cat has warmed up

on removal of the precats, yes the immisions are higher, but at MOT time the car will pass as long as it is hot enough for the main cat to be doing its job, may need to be driven hard for 15 minutes before its tested, make sure they test it straight away, before it cools down again

the precats are recommended to be removed , because there has been cases of them breaking down and blocking the exhaust, it has also happened on N/A cars !

TTE fit new metal precats when they fit the superchargers

after the removal of precats the sound of the exhaust is bit (nicely) throatier, but will not gain any performance

on removal of the precats, yes the immisions are higher, but at MOT time the car will pass as long as it is hot enough for the main cat to be doing its job, may need to be driven hard for 15 minutes before its tested, make sure they test it straight away, before it cools down again

the precats are recommended to be removed , because there has been cases of them breaking down and blocking the exhaust, it has also happened on N/A cars !

after the removal of precats the sound of the exhaust is bit (nicely) throatier, but will not gain any performance

Cheers Bazza! Is it a big deal to remove them?

Throatier tone! Bring it on!!!!

Cheers Bazza! Is it a big deal to remove them?

Throatier tone! Bring it on!!!!

basically need to be cut open and then welded up

definetly do it before or during supercharger installation, otherwise it will all have to come out again

Honestly didn't realise that mate, so the only way to get the extra power is to go for the full performance manifold or get the pulse tuning done to the standard manifold at TDI?

there is a gain in performance (slight) as the restrictions the pre cats must give are taken away by removing them.

what you need is  a prolex manifold......... :D

Ohh I knew this would happen! Look who raised his head up!! Its Mr Ellen with the deal of the century manifolds!! lol Dave I dont want to be spending anymore as I think I will be purchasing an induction kit aswell so If I could just remove the precats on the OEM manifold that would suffice! Although if one fell off the back of a truck I'd think about it!!!! And not a truck manifold either for all the smart ar5e5!!

I've got a spare standard manifold that you could buy from me if you wanna try it out! that means if it all goes pete tong you can put your standard manifold back on again!!!

Damn.... beat me to it :hehe:

Nope... mine has got pre-cats removed

Edited by ad77

the manifold is good, i admit......its fitted to the drift car, and the exhaust note is truely  fantastic.......like a V engine

Which Manifold have you got on there Mat, the Prolex one?

Hmm food for thought - if I could just find that bloody credit card :lol:

yep the prolex one....doddle to fit.

only one available at the mo...but i have no complaints....turned a nice shade of blue now

Matt I was just talking to Chris McGhee there on the phone and he said you may possibly have a decatted manifold for the IS200 lying about?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links