Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supercharging An Engine Over 80000 Miles

vinokirk

I was talking with my friend about me wanting to supercharge my Lex. He says that a car with over 80k shouldnt be supercharged as its already had to many miles put thru the engine. He went on to say that the SC causes way too much pressure in the comustion chambers and this can be dangerous on an old engine. I was just wondering peoples opinions on this topic!

I've seen a supercharged AE86 with 140k on it. Still aparently runs mint. A good quality, well built Japanese made engine like the 1G-FE should be fine with a supercharger, especially when it is such a low pressure one like the TTE. Go whack one on her! ;)

I was talking with my friend about me wanting to supercharge my Lex. He says that a car with over 80k shouldnt be supercharged as its already had to many miles put thru the engine. He went on to say that the SC causes way too much pressure in the comustion chambers and this can be dangerous on an old engine. I was just wondering peoples opinions on this topic!

Buuuuuullllllshhhhhiiit

.. why does ur signature say SUPERCHARGED if you haven't done it yet then ?  :huh:  :duh:  :blink:

does he have an IS200 yet? saw what must have been him bidding on one from eBay the other day! (a black IS200 Sport)

if you rear just a little further scarface it says comming in september. which denotes i will be getting it anytime within the month of sept!

There are loads of LOCers who have supercharged high milers - Aido, Bazza to name but two.

Any 80K is not high miles these days anyway  :lol:

There are loads of LOCers who have supercharged high milers - Aido, Bazza to name but two.

Bazza's barely done ten :P

Zee & Dave E have done loads of miles.

personally i wouldnt call 21,000 a high mileage :lol:

Seems like you've thrown down the gauntlet young man........you better come up with the goodies now!  :lol:

jopefully ill have all the goodies attached by jap show mr morse!oh dear *** that my wish!

I think TTE only give warranty if the car has less than 100000 km / 60000 miles. That said I have supercharged mine at 180000 km / 113000 miles.

First off, it all is running very well. The engine didn't need oil between services and still does not seem to. Compression is fine and performance as expected.

I think TTE only give warranty if the car has less than 100000 km / 60000 miles.  That said I have supercharged mine at 180000 km / 113000 miles. 

First off, it all is running very well.  The engine didn't need oil between services and still does not seem to.  Compression is fine and performance as expected.

My TTE Compressor Kit arrived today from Prolex!!!

RX-men-8 what you have just said is music to my ears!!!

performance as expected

Lovely Jubbley!!!!

Rx-men-8 are you going to get the induction kit aswell for it?

anyway, you dont want a granite sky sport, you want a pearl white se, maybe you just dont realise it yet! (did I mention mine is for sale?)  :D

Have you got a problem with granite sky is200 sports or somthin :angry: eh...EH!!!!!!

:tomato: :D LOL

You will have no problems supercharging an 80,000 mile IS.

Great stuff lads, i wasnt worried anyway my mate dont know anything about cars i mean hes just bough an N reg 200sx!!! 220bhp, but what an ugly rear end! ill hopefully have 220bhp outta my lex, but thenagain my lex wont cost £2500 like his 200sx did!

ps granite sky is AWSOME!

As others have said mate - you will be fine. I supercharged mine at 87/88 and it is now on 128. Not missed a beat.

You do a lot of miles mate, you fitted yours after me didn't you!? You'll have to think about the SC service soon at TTE, think that's due at 60k?

Mine was fitted at 60k and is now on 85k so that'w 25k with the charger - that's more than Bazza's car has ever done - no wonder it's so bloody clean :lol:

ps granite sky is AWSOME!

Good lad, you've got taste :D

Heres a quick question for the Supercharged yokes among you!

As you now I just took delivery of my TTE Kit and will be installing it pretty soon but when does the SC need to be serviced? Its a question I never really thought about until now? Is it after a certain amount of months or milage?

Good question mate...

I've heard lots about this subject and it all conflicts...

Basically after I think it's 60,000 miles Eaton themselves (who manufacture the SC unit) recommend that it is refurbished, basically making sure the turbine etc is all ok.

It's a sealed unit so not the sort of thing you can do yourself.

Some of the guys go to TTE who do some work, and I'm assuming they do this too.

The only thing to keep an eye on is the hose clips as they can work loose, if you have the TTE airbox the screws will come loose over time and need retightening, and you can replace the SC belt at regular intervals as per the other belts :D

Hope that helps mate

Good question mate...

I've heard lots about this subject and it all conflicts...

Basically after I think it's 60,000 miles Eaton themselves (who manufacture the SC unit) recommend that it is refurbished, basically making sure the turbine etc is all ok.

It's a sealed unit so not the sort of thing you can do yourself.

Some of the guys go to TTE who do some work, and I'm assuming they do this too.

The only thing to keep an eye on is the hose clips as they can work loose, if you have the TTE airbox the screws will come loose over time and need retightening, and you can replace the SC belt at regular intervals as per the other belts :D

Hope that helps mate

Cheers Aido!!!

I am having Prolex kit me out with red Silicon hoses to replace the black ones that come with the kit. I am just waiting on Dave to get them back from the manufacturers. (A.) the red hoses will look better and (B.) They seem to be better because they are made from Silicon as oppose to the rubber TTE ones! They are more Flexible

Also Dave is sorting my out with upgraded Jubilee clips. I think Prolex will be offering the hoses and the clips as an upgrade in the future! I'm the guiney pig lol

Thanks Aido

Total Star as usual!!! How was the Manchester meet?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links