Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So The Last 24 Hours Has Been Intresting

Monster-Mat

so i was supposed to be on the training area for the week................

tuesday night/wednesday morning (01:10 hrs) were told on the radio to pull over ( we were traveling along a road) as we had a fire......(you cant see these things inside the tank)

we pulled over, gopt out, yep a fire, flames coming from the transmission cover..huge flames, was so funny, end of maneuvers for us :)

we got towed in the next morning, on inspection not much was found wrong, apart that the handbrake band on one side had siezed on and heated the brake disc.......igniting the oil and crap in the hull.

alas today we have lifted the engine, and gearbox.

i know some of you crazy cats like seeing the tanks, im actually trying to sort an intrest day........

Heres the engine and gearbox, the radiators are lifted

Heres the engine from the side.....the large thing below the 3 oil and 2 fuel filters(black) is a compressor, similer to the TTE one.....alas a tad bigger

This is the gearbox, the disc on the shown side is the steering disc, the lump on the front, is the clutch (centrifugal clutch)

And this is where it all goes, you can see the scorching, and burning on the top right, this area is the back of the tank....the blue lump to the bottom right, is another little engine, this powers the generator

tommorow i have to lift the main brake units, which are the lumps in the last pic, either side at the rear, as the right one was super heated by the hand brake band that got siezed.................all in a days work :driving:

Edited by Monster-Mat

actually the engine is a:

Leyland L60 multi-fuel engine

21 litre

6 cylinder 12 piston vertical opposed 2 stroke.

700hp

Clutch

centrifugal type

Transmission/steering

Merritt Wilson Type TN12Mk5 combined gearbox and steering unit

the engine is the same unit...albeit modified as the same engine fitted in the old trains

Edited by Monster-Mat

will get progress pics tommorow, although i dont think there will be much progress as i have to wait for spares............replacing the handbrake cables is gonna be a mare,as i have to remove lots of parts from the crew compartment.

should be fun

Which type of armoured vehicle are we referring to here Mat?

If my military history serves me right, the early model Panzer VI Tigers frequently sufferered from engine fires...... :whistling:

heres some pics mike.

Chieftain AVRE assault tank

heres one fitted with a Bulldozing blade

1034.jpg

heres the Tank Bulldozing

1032.jpg

dropping a fascine into an Anti-Tank ditch

1036.jpg

Firing a PYTHON mine clearence rocket

armypythonb.jpg

with Mine plough fitted, but loading the Bulldozer blade onto the rear stowage platform

1035.jpg

Don't bother putting the engine in the drift car - remove the rubber tread plates and surely you could drift the tank itself :blink::shifty:

Would definately be interested in having a look around one though - keep us up to date with that :)

Tanks dont work without tracks.......

I was thinking more along the lines of leaving the tracks on but taking the rubber inserts off of the face of them - weld on a bit of mild steel plate and jobs a goodun :hehe:

What do the tracks weigh out of interest? I re-tracked a Caterpillar D6 over the summer and used a backhoe digger to pull the things about - they are 100% steel though. Right pain in the arris.

How often do the tracks come off of these things? I've had it happen once before on a CAT but putting them back on wasn't too bad - bet it's fun when you're trying to do it under fire ! :blink:

we dont often throw tracks, but when it happenes its a pain in the *****.

a new full track for this tank weighs 4 tons, which is made up of 95 individual links per side

the track can have the rubber track pads removed, we remove them for the desert

so whats the deal with those pipes? do they stay together loosley bundled so they fill a ditch or do they roll out like a beach mat??

Good pics tho mate, I should probably feel a bit :geek: but they are interesting, don't get to see this stuff every day :)

these pics are of the Chieftain bridgelayer, also based on the chieftain chassis

this tank has a crew of 3

bridge in stored configuration

chiefavlbbr90-001.jpg

bridge starting launch

chiefavlbbr90-005.jpg

bridge launch 2

chiefavlbbr90-007.jpg

bridge launch 3

chiefavlbbr90-002.jpg

bridge launch structure folded,

chiefavlbbr90-004.jpg

heres the other bridge type carried

avlb.jpg

and heres a bosnia tour

Bvb2a.jpg

bridge launch on Warminster training area

0123807.jpg

Edited by Monster-Mat

:offtopic:

Just checked this thread and noticed all my profile etc. had been changed by the guys at work.

I don't drive an M5 a saxo or own a gay bar (honest).

I've changed my password and put the shorgun in the car.

back to the thread.......

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links