Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car For The Mrs

waddy

Right then - after some opinions.

The Mrs wants a new car (She's had the VW Lupo for 3 years now) and I want a weekend toy to play with when the IS200 is sleeping :)

She likes the Merc SLK 230 Kompressor so I am looking at 2 seater type cars - but am open to suggestions.

On the list are,

Lotus Elise

Mercedes Benz SLK 230 Kompressor

BMW Z3 2.8

Any other suggestions? I want to spend up to about £8.5k

What do you guys reckon?

The Mrs wants a new car (She's had the VW Lupo for 3 years now) and I want a weekend toy to play with when the IS200 is sleeping  :)

She likes the Merc SLK 230 Kompressor so I am looking at 2 seater type cars - but am open to suggestions.

On the list are,

Lotus Elise

BMW Z3 2.8

What do you guys reckon?

There's no stereo in the Lotus Elise, unless you buy the centre console yourself.

Can you get an SLK for up to £8.5k ?

Vauxhall VX220 ? (plus expenses for a physiotherapist - you'll have back problems guaranteed)

I think the £8.5k for the Merc may be a little optimistic - it will be a high miler but then she only drives 12 miles a day anyway.

Only real stipulation is that is has to be M reg or newer so she can get her plate on it.

Friend had a Series One Elise which was a scream - they are dropping in price now.

There's no stereo in the Lotus Elise, unless you buy the centre console yourself.

I thought the stereo was on the far left hand side of the dash ?

Out of those cars .................. I'd go for the Lotus Elise.

But the newer shape is better ! :shifty:

yeah the lotus is a sweet car, but noisy and no sterio will mean its for the purist only, but will be loads of fun.

what about a decent MX5 with a removable hardtop, as they do suffer from leaky roof but are lots of fun to drive as well.

I thought the stereo was on the far left hand side of the dash ?

Out of those cars .................. I'd go for the Lotus Elise.

But the newer shape is better ! :shifty:

If my memory serves me well, when they were first released they didn't bother putting any accessories in these cars as they wanted them to display speed more than luxuries.

My mate said that this bloke he knew at work bought one and had to pay separate for a centre console to be installed, and then the stereo fitted in that.

It could be that they found alot of their customers got fed up with not having a stereo, and decided to put the stereo on the left of the dash as you have suggested.

Yeah.....it's gotta be the Proton  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mr Morse - your name has got a "I mentioned a sad car" mark against it. :sick: :P

Mr Morse has got a fair point, although Proton and Lotus have a 50% share of each other to avoid any hostile takeover bids.

Elise hold their value quite well to.

out of list you've provided, i'd take the elise myself - very nice around a track! the Z3 is a horrendous "car" and should be consigned to car hell forever... :D

an S2000 is a great toy also with a few select modifications that wouldn't cost the earth...

out of list you've provided, i'd take the elise myself - very nice around a track!  the Z3 is a horrendous "car" and should be consigned to car hell forever...  :D

an S2000 is a great toy also with a few select modifications that wouldn't cost the earth...

I tried an insurance quote on the S2000 the other day. Bearing in mind that my insurance for the IS200 is £337, the cheapest wanted £1,120.41 for the S2000 !!

:duh:

Very nice car, but couldn't believe the difference in insurance.

What don't you like about the Z3 ? I've never had a good look, or test drive to be honest, but would be interested in your reasons.

a friend bought one new a few years ago and had serious problems with it. the roof, the gearbox (which were put right eventually granted) and an electrical problem which BMW could never properly fix. granted this could have been a "Monday morning car" but it was enough to make everyone who had seen the problems she was having with car detest that model forever more.

she has since bought a Z4 - now THAT is a nice motor! :D

The Mrs wants a new car (She's had the VW Lupo for 3 years now) and I want a weekend toy to play with when the IS200 is sleeping  :)

On the list are,

Lotus Elise

BMW Z3 2.8

What do you guys reckon?

Soarer too big then? :driving:

a friend bought one new a few years ago and had serious problems with it.  the roof, the gearbox (which were put right eventually granted) and an electrical problem which BMW could never properly fix.  granted this could have been a "Monday morning car" but it was enough to make everyone who had seen the problems she was having with car detest that model forever more.

she has since bought a Z4 - now THAT is a nice motor!  :D

That sounds naf for a Beemer ! :blink:

yes - if "naf" means unusual???

quite a few friends and colleagues of mine drive various model beemers and they are all excellent cars it must be said. fantastic looking and a very solid drive. her Z3 however was a hugely different affair altogether! :D

yes - if "naf" means unusual???

quite a few friends and colleagues of mine drive various model beemers and they are all excellent cars it must be said.  fantastic looking and a very solid drive.  her Z3 however was a hugely different affair altogether!  :D

Good job you told me that. This was one of the cars I could have been considering for my next.

BTW, naf means crap :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links