Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Maximum Width With Mirrors

Eunos800

First off.....merry holidays and all that stuff to fellow lexus owners - incidentally, in the vein of the infamous Alan Partridge forecourt sketch...what is a collection of lexus Owners called ? ( apart from an astute group that is ) :)

Anyway, what I am after is knowing whether my new toy ( 250 SE-L )will fit in my garage when it arrives in March

The brochure does not indicate whether the dimensions for overall width included "sticking out mirrors" which I will need to have when reversing through my rather small garage door opening :o Cheers

Have tried the rear camera thingy when on the test drive....and don't think I would be happy without good old mirrors as well, once "my back end is in " the camera will not help me to avoid scraping the side panels, but mirrors will.

This might be a silly question, but would it not be easier to go into your garage forwards? My garage is quite tight (for my old IS) and going in forwards is much easier than reversing in :)

I have measured it, oudside Mirror-oudside Mirror = 2Meter  :unsure: 78.7401575 In

average garage doors are either 6ft6" or 7ft

so if you have the 6ft6" you will have approx 0.74" spare

divide it by 2 (each side) and you will have 0.37"

think it may be tight :crying:

still got to open the doors :whistling:

I had a loaner for the day whilst my IS was in for service. Managed to drive it into garage overnight without moving the mirrors. Forwards - would not have tackled it rearwards. There was about half inch to inch either side to spare on the mirrors. Probably an inch less either side than the 200. As Bazza says it depends if the garage then opens out from the frame inside - if it doesn't then you are shafted :( Fortunately mine was built for my Mustang I used to have so has an extra brick width one side and two bricks the other.

Thanks guys... cant really go in front first, as backing out and up our very steep drive makes backing out a real sod :crybaby:

Think I am shafted...willl double check the door width now ( PS its a double garage and converting it to 1 big door will cost circa £4k ) already had the quotes !!

So if you have a double garage there should be more room inside :) Ask for a demo and state you being able to park it in the garage a necessity. You could probably reverse it in, shut the windows if necessary to give the extra room then open them again when you are through the frame. Once you are in it's just keeping the steering wheel straight.

Thanks guys... cant really go in front first, as backing out and up our very steep drive makes backing out  a real sod :crybaby:

Think I am shafted...willl double check the door width now ( PS its a double garage and converting it to 1 big door will cost circa £4k ) already had the quotes !!

If it's any help, we too have a double garage (two doors, not one single) and back when I had the nice Italian sports car with the prancing horse on the grille, I was able to reverse into the garage with no problems at all (said car is considerably wider than an IS or even my RX...). Our garage doors are no wider than what I would call average anyway so with an IS you should have no problems. I do, however, always find it much easier to reverse into a garage, regardless of the lateral clearance. I just feel I have more control over what the car is doing that way.

I've also managed to put a Testarossa back-end first into a single garage narrower than average with a work-bench down the side. (I just had to practice a bit of contortion to get myself out of the car when it was in the garage... luckily that was at a friend's house in Brittany and I was only visiting!) I've found that widths/distances can be very deceiving when it comes to garages and cars.

Leland

....  I do, however, always find it much easier to reverse into a garage, regardless of the lateral clearance.  I just feel I have more control over what the car is doing that way.

Leland

I agree,I find reversing into a garage much easier,using the view in the rear view mirrors to guide you.

If one of the wing mirrors comes near the frame you can momentarily fold the mirror in for the couple of inches that you need to pass the frame,then redeploy them once you are past the frame.

Afterwards,driving out of the garage forwards is a sinch.

The car should easily reverse into most garages.

My last car had elephant ears mirrors and the trick was to reverse up as far as practical and also getting the car in line. I think my old Citroen C5 was a silmilar size to the IS250 ?

Then press the switch so that the mirrors fold in, then reverse a small amount so that the mirrors are clear of the door and then press the button again to open the mirrors for final manoevering.

I also find reversing in a lot easier because you can see the garage wall in relation to the nearside of the car.

By doing this I can park the car with the rear bumper left side and opened mirror housing both within one inch of my garage wall (and I have never hit it).

Had the same concern as you & the width is with the mirrors out so you can just get it in a std. garage with them folded!

:driving: Terry

How do you mean " width is with the mirrors out" - not the given dimensions in the brochure surely...cos an aerlier reply (PS Thanks ) staed that dimensionwas 2 metres exactly. :question:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links