Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

More Work Being Done

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're ****ting me - it's gone again?!

Hope it's something easy to fix mate, guess this is the problem being at the bleeding edge, it's a lot of work to stay there!

Hope you get it sorted soon cos I still can't wait to see it, it'll be a proper rocket!

Looks like there are some issues with the rebuild. Also it looks like the headgasket that has gone, maybe due to standard head bolts being fitted and not uprated that were supposed to have been fitted.. causing the head to lift under boost.

Looks like there's a few maybes, ifs, buts at the moment. Also heads gone, but I have a spare, so not too bad apart from the head work that I'd had done.

I'm going to see the car tomorrow so will know more. Plus I'll get the chance to give it a good **** kick!!

So at the moment extremely ****** off and fed up with it.. :tsktsk: BUT the dyno graph looks good :)

Anybody want to buy an IS200 :question:

The standard head gasket is a 3 ply gasket and I had an uprated middle ply fitted. So the gasket should have been fine. But as Mark said if the bolts are stretching then it doesn't matter how good the gasket is.

It was mentioned during the rebuild to fit the uprated head bolts so I'm ****** off to find that they weren't fitted :tsktsk:

The pistons have marks on them from where the sparkplugs had broken. But they all look ok

Really sorry to hear about the problems mate, you must be well peeed off.

How did the spark plugs "break"? Surely nothing contacted them, did the electrodes melt?

If the problem originated with the head bolts not being the up-rated ones surely you have a claim against the peeps who built the engine.

Anyway lovely torque curve you had and will have when it is back up and running. It is almost flat between 4.5-6k RPM, and lots of it, perfect match for the IS gear ratios. You will be able to keep the revs right on that all day long if you want to boot it :D

Looks useable lower down as well so should be a nice drive all round.

From what I've been told... the spark plugs being hot and then the change of temp when the coolant entered, causing the break

Ha..........that makes sense, probably the ceramic around the central electrode.

From what I've been told... the spark plugs being hot and then the change of temp when the coolant entered, causing the break

Ha..........that makes sense, probably the ceramic around the central electrode.

yes mate

The cause was head bolts. Standard ones fitted and not uprated. :tsktsk:

So uprated head bolts are being sourced and another head gasket. Also there is a bit of head work to be done (maybe re-done)..

Hoping to have it back on the road sooooon :blink:

I suppose if the head hadn't been taken back off then I wouldn't have been any wiser to the other issues which could have caused even more trouble down the line.

Its a pity that people dont do what they say (and you pay for), they'll do in the first place. Also if people would do a proper job and not 'cut corners' . Maybe with the engine in and all working, you wouldn't think that it would be out again and be able to see the work been (or not) done.

I suppose ignorance is bliss..

I suppose if the head hadn't been taken back off then I wouldn't have been any wiser to the other issues which could have caused even more trouble down the line.

Its a pity that people dont do what they say (and you pay for), they'll do in the first place. Also if people would do a proper job and not 'cut corners' . Maybe with the engine in and all working, you wouldn't think that it would be out again and be able to see the work been (or not) done.

I thought it was a very good garage, that did all the work on the engine for you mate :question: Has your mate had work done with them :question:

I thought it was a very good garage, that did all the work on the engine for you mate :question: Has your mate had work done with them :question:

A friend has had a single conversion done on his Supra and my other mate was going to have his done there too. But his brother has a few niggly issues with his single conversion so he's unsure whether to use them or not. The engine blew around the corner from them so it was also convenience.

Actually my mate did have his cossie engine rebuilt by them and there were no issues with that. But then he did wrap it around 2 trees about a month later anyway.

It seems I'm destined for dodgy things.. from having a dyno done wrongly at a garage in Northampton to going to a well known / respected Jap tuner in Bletchley that couldn't fit lowering springs with out causing loads of problems and distress :crybaby:

A friend has had a single conversion done on his Supra and my other mate was going to have his done there too. But his brother has a few niggly issues with his single conversion so he's unsure whether to use them or not. The engine blew around the corner from them so it was also convenience.

Actually my mate did have his cossie engine rebuilt by them and there were no issues with that. But then he did wrap it around 2 trees about a month later anyway.

It seems I'm destined for dodgy things.. from having a dyno done wrongly at a garage in Northampton to going to a well known / respected Jap tuner in Bletchley that couldn't fit lowering springs with out causing loads of problems and distress :crybaby:

Well hoopefully TDi will be the last garage it needs to go to lol

are u getting money back from the other garage ???

Well hoopefully TDi will be the last garage it needs to go to lol

are u getting money back from the other garage ???

Going to see them today to let them know what is going on. Also got a load of photos to show them. I have an independant engineer going to look over the work on Monday so I'll see what he has to say on the matter in his report.

I'm fed up of seeing my car with no engine in it or parts stripped down. It gets really depressing that some people don't give a **** about other peoples possesions / cars. If only the work had been done correctly in the first place or just common sense and care and attention :crybaby:

I'm off to cry now :crybaby: When's the pubs open???

this is a shame for adies thread but TDI have a right to defend there self

i would if it was my buisness no one likes being bad mouthed behind a p.c

mark how was adies car on the road compared to mine

mine is dam quick but cant imagine what adies was like

Hi Daz, we did find a few things that were less than ideal but I have to say that it was very impressive :)

If anyone has ever driven a 6 cylinder car with a big single turbo (like a converted Supra or Skyline), you will know that there is a fair amount of lag until around 4000 rpm then it really takes off :)

We specified the turbocharger package to produce 420hp, and it does pretty much what it says on the tin ;). We could have gone for more power with a bigger turbo but Adie quite correctly was mindful of the potential limitations of the transmission and engine so he opted for this. I have to say that Adie made a wise decision in this respect as any more power would have resulted in more lag and more stress.

I reckon Adie will be pleased with it when it is put back together again properly.

I have to get back to my project now so will hand this back to Sam and Shaun (unless I called back for any reason).

Cheerio :D

H B) LY SH!T buddy that's an awsome amount of power!

I'm happy the internals can take that power! :P

But so sorry another :tsktsk: :shutit: :sick: happened to your car.

Maybe you shouldn't push it too far man.

Set it to 380BHP or something and everything is OK.

Or TDI can find a way to make it strong enough for +400BHP. B)

Good luck buddy, you will fix that problem,

but anyway good to see how much horses this T-LEX can kick out!! :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links