Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres And Tracking

Mojo

Folks,

I'm having to buy 2 new front tyres tomorrow because the inside 1 1/2 inch of each has worn way past legal! :angry: Can't believe I didn't notice. Anyway, I presume this is down to a tracking setting? Is it a common problem on IS200's or is mine just badly set-up? Is it simple to get corrected by a high street garage (Kwik Fit type)?

I've decided to upgrade the tyres to a type I know and trust (from previous sports car ownership), Goodyear Eagle F1's. Not having changed any tyres on my IS200 yet can someone please let me know what the pressures should be front and back when running on 17s, save me having to look in my manual?

Cheers

Mojo

Can you let me know what results you get from the Goodyear F1's as I am looking to shed the awful Kumho's on mine and swap them. My local tyre depot can do them for only £105 each with free mobile fitting - You CAN get better than a Kwik Fit Fitter!

Its one of the cheapest quotes I've seen for this tyre and apparently it's the latest model, the F1 GSD3. In stock and waiting for me. I think these would be a good tyre for traction and control, the kumho's are the worst tyre I've ever driven on without a doubt, very hard wearing but awful grip. I would even say they verge on the dangerous side, despite all having 6mm of tread. It must be to do with the compound used.

I have a friend with a new M3 (sorry to use that word here :whistling: ) and is running on the F1's so have seen them in action.

Anyone else had experience of them on an IS?

Dink,

I used to run F1s on my impreza turbo and found them to be the best tyre I've ever used.

I'm getting 2 x 215-45-17s from Kwik Fit for £190 all in, and yes they are the new flavour GSD3s :D

Kwik Fit seem to be offering a price match at the moment, which is very nice as I pass them every day to and from work.

I'll let you know what they are like on the IS

Mojo

Chris,

ah right, is this something Lexus should have done before they sold me the car (2nd hand btw)? Because the tyres have worn VERY quickly, so the settings must be way off. If so, should they adjust it for free?

Ta

Mojo

Some dealers check em some don't,98% of new vehicles are within spec but some arn't

I would very much doubt you would get it done free

Just got my Goodyears fitted. Opted to put them on the back and put my old rears on the front until I can be sure that my excessive wear problems have been reduced. I also had the tracking checked and, not surprisingly, it was way out.

Apparently it has now been corrected, but I'll still be popping to Lexus in the new year to have them give it a going over to be sure.

First impressions on the Eagle F1s....

Not done too much with them yet, as I'm still scrubbing them in. Rear wheel spin has been dramatically reduced, traction control doesn't cut in at all when energetically pulling away from a wet junction now. :) I realise this would happen with any new tyre but just seems alot better tham the Dunlops they've replaced.

I'll post a full report when I've clocked up some more miles and corners :D

Have a great Christmas everyone!!

Mojo :hohoho:

I heard a strong rumor from a very reliable source that this is a problem with the IS series, something to do with the heavier engine we have in Europe compoared to the 4 Pot used in Japan? heard that a "new" IS went throught the front 1" or so in about 6-9000. Would magine the IS300 is even worse (this was a 200) could be like the wheels issue maybe worth bitching like hell if it happens to you and dont take any crap about driving styles (its rear wheel drive! and the outside edges go on on the fronts normally on heavy cornering)

Thoughts?

probably a camber issue, as my slammed minitruck used to go throught the sdes of a set of fronts in about 3-5000! Hefty Negative Camber! so its only gonna get worse if you lower it.

Ditto on the inside tyre wear on the fronts.

I've just had Goodyear F1's fitted all round. Cost £105 each inc fitting.

Nice to have some grip again. :ph34r:

Only comment I would have, is they're noiser than the Bridgestones. Once you hit 80mph, you're much more aware of the noise. :blink:

Just to be awkward;

My fronts wore down very evenly except about an inch on the outside edge of the nearside which was almost bald after 20k.

I was told that it is common for IS's to scrub the shoulders off.

I just paid £94 for F1 GSD3's (but that's not fitted) - fitting will hopefully be courtesy of the dealer when they change my pitted alloys :whistling:

I have just had to change the front two tyres on my GS 430 because they were bald on the inside edge of both fronts. They were new tyres 4,000 miles ago so I suspected the suspension alinement. The whole car was way out front and rear wheels, Lexus will do it but its not free. Mine charged £120 + vat and took 3.5 hours.

I shall be keeping a close eye on them now, as the whole event cost me £600 :crying:

Personally I would recommend a full 4 wheel alignment on any RWD car when changing any of the tyres. I appreciate the IS200 isn't a powerful car, but RWD is so sensitive to the set up being spot on - it is worth the cost.... handling is very good when set up correctly.

Oh - I am now at almost 18k miles - tyres seem to be wearing fine..... I'll perhaps keep a closer eye on them over the winter months though. I too rate the F1s highly. Toyos are good too....

Mojo,

Thanks for that, you have replaced my faith in the car as I'm very confident the tyres had alot to do with my recent 3 grand facelift on the IS.

I shall be going for the F1's I think. I can handle extra noise, as it will still be considerably quieter than an Imprezza Turo at full tilt! :yahoo:

Been with the F1's for a week now, and I'm well impressed. :ph34r:

BTW Donk, according to your signature, you've spent 3 grand on a facelift. :unsure:

Are you sure it's been money well spent? caws your car looks more like a Subaru? :crying:

Unless of course you spent the 3 grand on a facelift for yourself. :hehe:

Moany joking..... :yahoo:

Luckily the facelift was on the car and not the person!

I dont have a digitised pic of the IS yet so thought I would use one of my Scooby instead.

When I first got my IS I had an altercation with a motorway Armco barrier after slipping on some spilt diesel. Having Shi* tyres didn't help one bit though. Car was in repair shop for 4 weeks :( and the resulting bill was a touch over £3k. Still, I have a completely new front end on it now! :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :D

Well, I've done 500 miles of motorway miles over the festive season and I can well and truely say that the Goodyears rock!!!

I've not found the tyre noise loud at all, certainly no worse than the rubbish Dunlops I had before. Having said that the stereo tends to drown out everything very easiy ;)

I'll be talking to Lexus about the front tyre wear in the next week or so, so I'll let you guys know what they reckon the offical line is on it. From the responses on here it sounds like a common problem. There's no way I'm happy about replacing a front set every 8k.

Donk, get F1s mate. They do make a hell of a difference to the car. You'll be chucking it round your favourite corners like the old days before you know it.

Mojo

Mojo,

Thanks for that last note. I've been waiting for the festive/new year season to be gone so I can get the tyre men out.

In case anyone else is interested in Leicestershire, Tanvic Tyres on the Derby Road in Loughborough have always been excellent for price and service. When I told them I wanted 4 tyres he said they'd throw in the mobile fitting for free, and Eagle F1's (GSD3) for £105 per corner seems pretty darned cheap to me.

As a point of note they supply the Dunlops and Bridgestones to Lexus Leicester apparently.

Wet weather this mornign brought back the nervous feel to the car. Need the F1's soon!

The only thing I hate about swapping tyres (apart from the cost) is the inevitable scratches on the alloys.

In case anyone else is interested in Leicestershire, Tanvic Tyres on the Derby Road in Loughborough have always been excellent for price and service. When I told them I wanted 4 tyres he said they'd throw in the mobile fitting for free, and Eagle F1's (GSD3) for £105 per corner seems pretty darned cheap to me.

Thanks for that Donk - just roun d the corner for me so will bear Tanvic Tyres in mind when mine a ready for some new rubber... :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links