Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is430 Auto

GRiM

Can anybody confirm or deny, in a court of law....

I was in my Local Lexus dealer yesterday, and this is what he told me.

That there will be an IS430 auto (non-triptronic) in limited No's available this year, in the existing body shape?

Guys,

I PROMISE, I'm not trying to wind ewes up.

I called in to my local Lexus dealer, and that's what they told me.

Even though, a few weeks before I had emailed them piccys of the new IS, they said there was a limited edition due out this year, based on the existing shape.

Even though, a few weeks before I had emailed them piccys of the new IS, they said there was a limited edition due out this year, based on the existing shape.

Could the limited edition be the one we're talking about here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...f=50&t=3533&hl=

Interesting thought, IS430 Auto for 38K+, it's crying shame, because if it true, straping all that extra power to Auto, seems a waste to me, who knows LEXUS marketing might wake up before it's to late and offer a Manual version.

Ok.. I knew myself that it was garbage... so I asked a member of Lexus to comment just so you all know that there is no way the IS430 will be realeased.

Absolutely not true. As you know, the car was developed by TTE in Germany

who are semi independent/autonomous from Toyota Motor Corporation. They

developed the car simply because they could and it's the kind of story that

the press love.

However, TTE would not be responsible for actually bringing the car to

market. By that I mean the cost of homologating the car, ie. ensuring the

car conforms to all safety, security and legal standards. And that can cost

hundreds of thousands if not millions. And considering the potential size

of the market (a guestimate would be a total of 2000 units across Europe,

then the investment doesn't make sense.

So - it's a definite no.

So I hope that clarifies a few things! (just for those who had their doubts!)

Not doubting any of you guys (You know far more than I do with your contacts) BUT this article is taken from Page 32 of the January 2003 (volume 15) issue of Sport Compact Car (American car magazine I bought out there) - and it has the same picture Rich posted as well as the front of the car:

2004 Lexus IS430 (Photos by Hans G. Lehmann)

Caught testing on Germany's famed Nurburgring is this Lexus IS stuffed with the Lexus 4.3-liter, DOHC, 32-valve V8 instead of the 3.0-liter six we get here. Is this a production prototype? Or maybe just a running version of the TTE-modified IS we showed you in last June's "Spinout"? Remember, TTE is Toyota's European equivalent of TRD.

Our guess is this one is a full-on Toyota-sanctioned prototype being readied for battle against such entrenched beasties as the BMW M3, Mercedes C32 AMG, Audi S4, Volvo S60R and Saddam Hussein's elite Republican Guard. In the GS430 and SC430, the 4.3-liter V8 is rated at 300hp, but it shouldn't take much pounding on the VVTL-i variable valve-timing system and maybe a compression ratio bump to swell output up to at least 350hp. That should be more than enough to overwhelm the 333hp M3 or any of the other compact whipsters. And remember, the TTE car was shown wearing a Lysholm supercharger too - maybe 400hp is closer than we dare dream.

The disguise on this prototype seems pretty half-hearted. The car obviously has all the scoops, spoilers and vents necessary to feed a big powerplant and oversize brakes while keeping the car planted to the pavement at high velocities. One of the neatest features is the large, center-mounted, sewer-spec single exhaust pipe sticking out beneath the rear bumper. The wheels look to be 18s, but we doubt the design seen on the car will make it onto showroom floors.

If the IS430 makes it to production, don't expect it before 2004 at the earliest. And prepare to hock your sole to get one. We hear satan is paying about $55k these days.

Make of all that what you will.... :huh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links