Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, thought I say hello to everyone as I've just joined.

I own a 94 UK MKIV Toyota Supra TT and a 2000 Ford Mondeo Ghia X V6, the Supra is my real love and the Mondeo is my everyday car which I have to say is fantastic, that said I'm very interested in possibly changing it for a LS 400 hence my joining.

I have spent a fair amount of time going through the LS 400 section trying to gather as much information as possible to see if it's a good idea and will suit me and my budget.

I have never even been in a LS 400 but the whole car really appeals to me, it's the luxury and reputation which initialy attracted me. Having said that there are a few things which seem to crop up quite often, the main worry being the suspension as it seems a bit of an expensive weakness? I'm thinking service history is a must.

Would I be correct in saying MPG (UK figures) would be around 19 around town and perhaps late 20's on a steady run? I like the idea of Sat Nav so that would that be a 98 onwards? Difficult to answer I know, but what sort of prices both privately and trade might I be looking at, or would I be better casting my net wider and including earlier cars without the Sat Nav for more choice? What sort of servicing costs would I be looking at?

Basically any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, sorry for all the questions but if you don't ask you don't find out :blush:

servicing ain't too bad as long as you use non lexus dealers.

mpg is 15-20 around town and up to 34-35 on a long run with cruise control set.

welcome. good luck with the search.

when looking at used cars, remember it's a 50k car, so it has to have been looked after. if it hasn't, then walk away!

Hi and welcome!

If you drive a Supra the LS is going to be a big change.

IF you like DRIVING try an LS before going any deeper.

If you like sitting in a big armchair doing nothing, 'cept maybe listening to your favourite CD's

buy the LS. B)

WELCOME!

I have to say that Maneesh's estimates of things are usually a bit dramatic.

Fuel consumption will be around 19-21 mpg on your daily commute, and I have managed 29mpg on a run.

15mpg is rather pessimistic, and 35mpg is, I reckon, fanciful.

No doubt some other opinions will appear.

But buy one! Don't worry about the fuel cost. A good bottle of wine costs more that plonk. Every time I drive mine, I feel I'm having a treat!

servicing ain't too bad as long as you use non lexus dealers.

mpg is 15-20 around town and up to 34-35 on a long run with cruise control set.

welcome. good luck with the search.

when looking at used cars, remember it's a 50k car, so it has to have been looked after. if it hasn't, then walk away!

I would be interested, if anyone knows what Lexus charge for each service, not sure if Lexus are the same as Toyota but they offer A, B &C servicing?

In some respects your last line re: 50k car is the same as the Supra which was 42k new, I'm kind of hoping that a LS 400 might had had an easier life than a lot of Supra's out there..............but I know what you mean.

Hi and welcome!

If you drive a Supra the LS is going to be a big change.

IF you like DRIVING try an LS before going any deeper.

If you like sitting in a big armchair doing nothing, 'cept maybe listening to your favourite CD's

buy the LS. B)

Roy, you've hit the nail on the head, that's just what I want from the LS, a complete change from the Supra, I really like the idea of just wafting along in complete luxury, they look so relaxing to drive.

WELCOME!

But buy one! Don't worry about the fuel cost. A good bottle of wine costs more that plonk. Every time I drive mine, I feel I'm having a treat!

Quite true, I don't cover many miles in either of my cars per year so as long as the LS fits within my criteria I would be more than happy to fork out for the extra fuel/running costs, just trying to be sensible and work out what sort of extra costs the LS will incur.

Big thank you to everyone for the welcome and help, please do keep your opinions and advice coming.

One other thing, insurance, what sort of premiums are out there?

You'll never regret it. AND....if you give me your number (cskelton@madasafish.com) you could pop over from Yate to Shirehampton sometime and have a spin in a Series 4, Satnav and all!

I agree with all the comments so far; insurance? Depends on being younger than me! But comfort, speed, great stereo (a vital ingredient for Hi-Fi fan like me!) reliability, you can't beat it. :)

You'll never regret it. AND....if you give me your number (cskelton@madasafish.com) you could pop over from Yate to Shirehampton sometime and have a spin in a Series 4, Satnav and all!

I agree with all the comments so far; insurance? Depends on being younger than me! But comfort, speed, great stereo (a vital ingredient for Hi-Fi fan like me!) reliability, you can't beat it. :)

Chris your a star, many thanks indeed, I have sent you an e mail.

Regarding age and insurance, I'll be 49 next month so I was hoping it wouldn't be silly money.

Hi-fi fan eh?...............same here, we obviously have similar taste in more than cars :)

I have to say that Maneesh's estimates of things are usually a bit dramatic.

Fuel consumption will be around 19-21 mpg on your daily commute, and I have managed 29mpg on a run.

15mpg is rather pessimistic, and 35mpg is, I reckon, fanciful.

Well, I got around 15-17 when driving my series 1 LS400 in London. I managed to get 32mpg with cruise control set at 70mph. That was with 170k miles on the car. Series 3 and 4 had engine and aerodynamic improvements which resulted in lower fuel consumption, so 20mpg around town and 35mpg with cruise set are indeed possible with the later models.

All the 400s had VERY similar fuel consumption. The method of EEC Govt testing changed during MkIII production which has LED to some confusion.

35mpg? - Never!

It's about as accurate as your "The stereo in an LS400 is average" and "The cars are silent all the way up to 150mph".

Hi,

Don't discount the older models e.g. Series 1. You may have to be prepared for an initial outlay to catch up on servicing not done, but that's true for any car.

Mine is a UCF10 (Series 1), 1990. It drives better than any car I've owned, and everything works! It's the only vehicle I've ever had that doesn't rattle, creak or vibrate!

Points to watch for are:

1. Leaking PAS pump

2. Blowing EGR pipe

3. Knackered suspension bushes

4. Stripped splines on the seat recliner linkage bar

It's probably wise to avoid one that's had it's audio system replaced or otherwise tampered with; the factory Pioneer or Nakamichi system is truly excellent (although FM radio sounds a little muffled due to US-standard de-emphasis in the receiver - possibly not the case on later models). I'd run away from any car that had dodgy superfluous wiring - or the wrong wheels - it would only serve to prove that the previous owner did not appreciate or respect the car for what it was. Originality speaks volumes. Tyres are a good clue, too, as to the diligence with which servicing has been carried out. If it's got bad (or odd) tyres it's a safe bet that the oil hasn't been changed in a while, and if it has, probably with something cheap!

You may be lucky and find an example without any of these issues! People slag of the Series 1 brakes, but IMHO they're just fine! That's not to say the later ones don't have more powerful brakes, but that alone is no reason to avoid a Series 1.

There are some excellent illustrated maintenance tutorials on www.lexls.com

Good luck in your quest. Take your time and don't necessarily buy the first one you see (like I did) just because it's cheap.

I second cleverdick.

You can pick up a S1 for not a lot of money, I came from a celica and although I loved it, the LS build quality is eons ahead of toyotas sports cars.

I just went away for a week and had a new grande punto hire car, couldn't belive a brand new design could be so poor/rattly/noisy... maybe I'm now spoiled by 2K's worth of 15 yr old car!

Keep the Supra for hoots at the weekend and get an LS for lording it over buz box drivers the rest of the week. ;)

Keep the Supra for hoots at the weekend and get an LS for lording it over buz box drivers the rest of the week. ;)

That's exactly what I intend Alex, think you read my mind :winky:

Maneesh, Jellybean & Cleverdick many thanks for your replys.

Cleverdick, haven't dicounted earlier models, although I'm keener on the later shape plus and being a real Lexus novice I'm still in the mindset of older cars = possibly more potential problems. I'm still trying to get my head round the LS's build quality being light years ahead of the rest, it is after all still a car, albeit something very special.

Just made a call to A Plan insurance for a quote on a LS, very happy bunny as they quoted me £370 fully comp, protected no claims, that's cheaper than my Mondeo!

So I can at least rest easy that insurance is not a problem.

Just made a call to A Plan insurance for a quote on a LS, very happy bunny as they quoted me £370 fully comp, protected no claims, that's cheaper than my Mondeo!

bargain for a group 18/19 car..

bargain for a group 18/19 car..

I'm amazed to be honest, but in no way complaining :)

Hi and Welcome to the LOC :)

Looks like we live in the same town :D

Did you have a look at the LS400 that was for sale by the side of the road near Brimsham Park the other week?

Good luck with what ever model LS you go for,but id buy a mk4 if and when i buy another LS.

Chips.

Did you have a look at the LS400 that was for sale by the side of the road near Brimsham Park the other week?

Good luck with what ever model LS you go for,but id buy a mk4 if and when i buy another LS.

Chips.

Hi Chips, thanks for the welcome. Looks like the town is not the only thing we have in common as I have a Supra TT....small world eh?!

Where abouts in Brimsham was/is the LS for sale? I would pop round for a look if it's still for sale.

Do you own a Black Aristo, as that's the only one I have seen in yate? Lovely cars too.

Chips.

Hi Chips, thanks for the welcome. Looks like the town is not the only thing we have in common as I have a Supra TT....small world eh?!

Where abouts in Brimsham was/is the LS for sale? I would pop round for a look if it's still for sale.

Do you own a Black Aristo, as that's the only one I have seen in yate? Lovely cars too.

Hi,

The LS400 was parked up for sale at the access road to i think a power station before the lights at Brimsham park.

Ive not seen the car parked there since,so maybe he sold it :unsure:

PM me if you want to meet up for a chat about cars etc.

Chips.

Just taken my insurance out with A Plan, by adding my wife as named driver the price went down to £341!

Very pleased.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links