Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic Lights.....

Hi guys,

I dont have my lexus yet (should be tomorrow at earliest, thursday at latest !!!!) but I'm just curious about the automatic headlights.

I test drove one and went under a bridge and the lights came on (they were switched to auto) ....it was slow moving traffic, maybe 15mph.

was wondering if the reverse will happen: if at night and the lights are on, and i go into a well lit area (streetlights or lots of cars, or lots of shops that sort of thing) will the lights turn themselves off, even though it's still dark?

just a thought

thanks

Tony

Tony, don't worry no that will never happen, the sensors only detect day lights. I've always found them very good and its so handy when going into car parks etc. The only time I've ever switched them on manually is in fog where it is not dark enough for them to switch on.

Sounds good... these auto lights...

do they have a feed when you turn your ignition on....

i.e leave them on when you switch the engine off at night, then start the car up in the monring (worrying about the Battery life)

I assume if its all ok... I will never have to worry about switching them off/on again...

-Lee

Sounds good... these auto lights...

do they have a feed when you turn your ignition on....

i.e leave them on when you switch the engine off at night, then start the car up in the monring (worrying about the battery life)

I assume if its all ok... I will never have to worry about switching them off/on again...

-Lee

set 'em and forget 'em Lee!

:D

turn the ignition off - wait for your smart **** passenger to say "You forgot your lights" - open the door, and they turn off

;)

get in the car at night, start it up - lights come on.

My experience is same as Ricky's - only ever had to manually turn the lights on when is has been foggy in day time, and not dark enough to automatically come on (but my aversion to being crashed into by cars who see me has caused me to want the lights turned on)

when i pull into a petrol station the lights turn off automatically... but i was directly under the lights

I have never had the light go off under a tuneel or directly under a street lamp.

when i pull into a petrol station the lights turn off automatically... but i was directly under the lights

I have never had the light go off under a tuneel or directly under a street lamp.

Was this in the IS or the Windom Steve?

my lights stay on in service stations - or do they have excessively bright lights in Bournemouth?

I’ve turned mine off auto because it annoyed me that in the dark the lights came on before I started the engine in the morning.

It also annoys me that the headlight washers work (once only) with the windscreen washers with the headlights on.

And another thing…

I’ve turned mine off auto because it annoyed me that in the dark the lights came on before I started the engine in the morning.

It also annoys me that the headlight washers work (once only) with the windscreen washers with the headlights on.

And another thing…

Mine doesn't do that! another 'improvement' they've made on the later models?

After searching the Owner's Manual I found out about this Automatic light control BUT it doesn't seems like I have such thing(IS200 99'mod.). I can't turn the switch three levels, only two! Anyhow, in this country you need to drive with the lights on even in shiny days. You will get a find if not. (..and you will also see that everyone is flashing on you trying to give you a hint!.) :geek:

Since I didn't buy this car in Norway I always have to remember to turn the headlights on. Maybe someone know how to get them on while turning the key. Pleased to hear!

After searching the Owner's Manual I found out about this Automatic light control BUT it doesn't seems like I have such thing(IS200 99'mod.). I can't turn the switch three levels, only two! Anyhow, in this country you need to drive with the lights on even in shiny days. You will get a find if not. (..and you will also see that everyone is flashing on you trying to give you a hint!.) :geek:

Since I didn't buy this car in Norway I always have to remember to turn the headlights on. Maybe someone know how to get them on while turning the key. Pleased to hear!

I believe it is only on UK cars toreknudson. When I was over in Germany, I noticed Rednecks car did not have auto lights either. You can tell by the little bump thingys (sensors) on the back of the dash near the screen. If your car has auto lights there will be two bumps, but only one if not. Obviously one is for the auto lights then, but what is the other for?????

:) :) :)

Toreknudsen, you could put a relay powered from your ignition switch-on feed across the headlight switch. You would need to use a double pole relay to switch both side/main lights on or your backlights won't light if you just short main beam.

Don't be tempted to take the feed from the ignition straight to the headlight relay - this will bypass the column fuse.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links