Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Partridge Impact On Lexus Brand Image

Will

Hi there.

I Need your help please! I'm conducting a study on the impact of TV and Film on the brand image of cars. Its all about product placement and as a fan of Alan Partridge and Lexus I'm looking at whether Partidge has had an impact on Lexus market position and brand image in your eyes as owners and any comments from friends you have had.

Any information and opinions would be really appreciated.

Cheers Guys :backofnet:

Will

Hi Will

Personally I don't think it has affected sales in my eyes but certainly get all the comments!

Usually if I was in a debate with someone on how good the Lexus brand is I usually get the Partridge comment.

If you want a true study of this direct from Lexus themselves then I can put you in touch with someone and get the real facts.

Send me a PM and I will drop you his email address.

The guys at work already refer to my IS200SE as the "pipe & slippers" car, and an Alan Partridge "aahaaaaaa" is never far away in any discussion about it.

Having said that, they do actually admit that the jokes are superficial and that it's a damned fine car. Good looks, good value, great image & presence, gob-smacking sat nav, and all without the aid of the BMW propeller!

who knows.. it might do good

Do you like Marmite? who would have thought that Marmite would do an advert with someone being sick because they ate marmite?

I am sure Lexus are clever enough to turn it around... You'll be suprised.

Secondly its clubs like us that give the younger image to the IS200. In fact I think this forum has opened up to Lexus what the younger person actually think of this car. Time and time again these last few months we have seen people buying a IS200 over other leading car brands because of its qualities, drive and value for money.

All the perspective buyer has to do is test drive it. It's sold.

Cheers so far all really useful stuff.

If you could also give me descriptive words that you believe describe the Lexus brand and if there are now different words after lexus appeared on Partridge that you think may depict Lexus I'd appreciate it. Again your opinions and also what you think others may think.

I suppose there are a lot of people who believe that Partridge is almost real and that he's a sad try hard character and so the car reflects that.

There are others however who may be drawn to it because of a real appreciation of the programme.

Regarding the marmite advert its a complete love hate thing, they are tapping into this discussion point as advertisers. Interesting also that people either love or hate the advert as well. all about visual consistency i suppose.

If you could also give me descriptive words that you believe describe the Lexus brand and if there are now different words after lexus appeared on Partridge that you think may depict Lexus I'd appreciate it. Again your opinions and also what you think others may think.

errr Lynx Africa?

:unsure:

i'll get my coat :(

I would give this thread 24 hours and see what others say.. I myself only saw the programme once.

I love the way Lexus Market their product.. They almost undersell it.. it keeps it exclusivety and because of that it hold it's value.

I think that most people see through the fact that Alan Partridge drives a Lexus IS200 to try and look cool.

Not the fact that a Lexus IS200 is a prats car, just that he's one, and that he thinks by driving the Lexus, brand will make him out that he's not a prat.

That's where the joke is.

What really frustrates me though, is that the first Alan Partridge series was funny. But since the second series, it's gone down hill.

I don't think we'll see a fourth, unless it's on Channel 5, or Steve Coogan's script's get better.

As I've found, all the Partridge jokes to be superficial. Guys pick up on it, because it's fun to tease and when you've got an icon like Alan Partridge (albeit a negative icon perhaps) it's an easy way to crack a joke.

Those same people all admit that despite the Partridge thing, they still see it as a quality car with an image of class, luxury and refinement (not to mention loads of extras)! Most people tell me "I'd love one" or "I'd buy it 'cos it's NOT a BMW". One point a couple of people have picked up on is that the IS is a car you buy with your head, not your heart? B)

Absolutely. I crashed my IS200 last week and it looks like it will be written off by the insurance today.

My brother-in-law and I visited 11 different car showrooms over the weekend just to see if anything else measured up to the IS200.

1) Saab: Shut.

2) Ford: Why spend 22k on a new one when you can get one on the forecourt for 10k less that's a year old?

3) Merc: Didn't want to know as I only had 22k to spend.

4) BMW: Didn't even talk to us.

5) Audi: Girl handed us a brochure. Nothing more.

6) VW: Took the ***** out of the IS's handling.

7) Jaguar: Shut.

8) Peugeot: Nothing in the price range.

9) Renault: Too busy talking to other customers.

10) Nissan: Some wide-boy prat tried to sell me a 4x4.

11) Land Rover: Helpful sales guy. Went out on a test drive. Pushy to do a deal though.

12) Lexus: Had a nice chat with the sales guy and he showed my brother-in-law an IS300. Made us a cup of tea. Gave us some price lists and brochures. Talked me through the GAP insurance policy. Told me he'd let the salesman I usually deal with know that I had popped in.

The thing that really sells Lexus to me is their customer service. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they're a really friendly bunch at Lexus Hadleigh. No sales pressure, they give you time to make up your mind.

Of all the dealers I visited at the weekend, none had the friendly and relaxed atmosphere of a Lexus dealer. And I didn't see a single car that matched the Lexus for build quality and value for money.

I think that most people see through the fact that Alan Partridge drives a Lexus IS200 to try and look cool.

I agree there are two ways of looking at this. Partridge wants to be sophisticated, suave, cool and so drives the lexus to give off this impression.

Or the second way is that he is a typical person who drives the IS200 and is a good reflection of the brand.

Personally I think Partridge is always trying to better himself and make people believe he's the main man and so he uses the car as a tool to accomplish this.

Do you think the general public or prospective buyers think Partridge is a typical owner or that Lexus is what Partridge is aspiring to be??

Will- i dont think there is such a thing as a typical IS owner, in this club there are all ranges of ages and professions. There are members who have heavily modified theirs, and some who haven't., but they all LOVE the car, the looks, the way it drives its whole ambience(had to look that one up).

The Alan Partridge jokes lasted just a week at work, once its mentioned its old-hat! As the prog is on BBC2, luckily not many people see it. Those who commented on it are the same ones who never came to look over the new car- a touch of jealousy perhaps.

I suppose there are a lot of people who believe that Partridge is almost real and that he's a sad try hard character and so the car reflects that.

There are others however who may be drawn to it because of a real appreciation of the programme.

Personally, I think that Steve Coogan got it slightly wrong. The irony being that most sad, try hard characters drive a BMW 3 series, or a C- Class Merc. The "Oh, look at me in my expensive car" type. Lexus is a less well known brand, bought more by the informed motorist/ enthusiast, it's less trendy and hip. More thought has perhaps gone into the decision to buy.

90 % of the guys at work say they like my car, some do mention the Partridge thing, but only for a quick laugh. I think the extra publicity will be positive.

As for Coogan's assasination of the Probe, it was a 'Ford', and cack. It was always going to fail.

These are my honest thoughts, slightly biased perhaps. However I think most motor enthusiasts would agree with some of the points I have made.

Cheers .................. bs :ph34r:

Interesting story attached to this folks - well to me anyway! I was in my Super freindly local dealership (Z&%BDJ£&$%*£$£N Lexus) (names changed to protect the innocent) and was chatting to one of the team. Apparently BBC contacted Lex and asked for a car to film in a programme for 3 months. Lexus PR Dept gave, yes gave, free of charge the IS for three months. Lex PR did not ask any questions about what the car was to be used for.

Bit nieve if you ask me. I would say that any publicity is good publicity however given what happered to the Probe and Rover once they had the AHAAAAA treatment I feel this was a little short sighted. IMHO :yawn:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links