Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would You Swap an IS300 For A GS430

Glenn

Hi all, I have been offered a swap for my IS300 today for a GS430 :blink: Although very very tempted a few things worry me a bit, my IS300 is only 18 months old with 11,000 on the clock but the GS430 is almost 3 years old with 41,000 on the clock. I know that cash value they are probably simular but still not sure with the difference in age and miles??

Just wondered what other people think as I can't make my mind up :crybaby:

Would be very interested in your views.

Cheers

Glenn

very tempting offer.

Have you checked the pricing comparison? Also check out insurance and running costs plus maintenance costs.

But hmm 41,000 is not alot of miles for a 4.3 Litre engine...

hard question :unsure:

Yep it is a very difficult decision to make, I have looked at the prices etc and if anything I would say the GS430 is worth a bit more than my IS300 especially as it has Sat Nav. Like you say the running costs are bound to be slightly higher but I suppose you get what you pay for (that's what I keep telling my wife anyway)

I don't suppose that 41,000 is much for a 4.3 V8?? probably just loosening up :D

Still a difficult one though

Cheers

Glenn

I've only had my GS430 for a week and it's already part of the family (certainly is another mouth to feed). I test drove the IS200 and was all set to get one (second hand, 1 year old) but when browsing lexus.co.uk I saw a two year old GS430 with 50K on the clock going for 19K. Couldn't resist it. I test drove it and I'm afraid that it just felt like it was in a class of its own. I've never driven IS300 and so can't comment on that one but I can't imagine it would quite match up to the GS430 (no offence intended to owners of the IS300).

I didn't think 50K was at all prohibitive for a big engine. I think Rodders GS300 has done 130K (sure I saw that in a post somewhere). In any case, to do 50K miles in two years must have been largely motorway driving, which is actually better than if it had done 20K round the town. Check the one being offered has a full-service history.

Cons:

- Fuel costs (don't underestimate this part if you are paying for fuel)

- Insurance costs if you are young (I'm 33 and got fully-comp for £490 p.a)

- Maintenance costs - I doubt you will get a standard service done for much less than 300 notes.

- Tyres will cost around the £120 mark (inc fitting) each

Pros:

- far too many to list :)

I would say - test drive it. I think you will find your mind will be made up for you.....

Thanks for all the good advice on the swap for a GS430, I think I am going to go for it. I suppose that at the end of the day regardless of age and mileage I am stepping out of a £28,000 car into a £38,000 car! As a few people have said, 40,000 miles on a 4.3V8 is nothing with a full Lexus history. I shall be sorry to see my IS300 go but at least I can say that I have been there and done that :D

I have been looking at the extra's in the GS compared to the IS300 and have come up with a couple of things like the electric steering column, total closure alarm, memory seats OH and a great big V8 under the bonnet :yahoo: The only thing it hasn't got is electric folding mirrors. I should be doing the deal sometime next week so I shall keep you posted.

Cheers

Glenn

I have been looking at the extra's in the GS compared to the IS300 and have come up with a couple of things like the ..., memory seats OH ...

Actually, my two year old GS430 doesn't appear to have the memory functions. I'm not sure if they were an optional extra at the time and the original owner didn't need them or whether they were just not part of the spec then. Strange really considering how everything else is there. Electric seats are great though, no more half-standing, half-jumping manoeuvres, trying to adjust the seats :)

One other thing, you really need to do the Gold Member thing. You'll need all the discounts you can lay your hands :hehe:

Hi Torrent, you are right about the memory functions!! My old GS300SE has them so I presumed the GS430 has them as standard but it doesn't seem to be the case :unsure: Funny how they all have slight differences in spec?

How do you find your 430??

Glenn

I love it!

Can't recommend it highly enough. Not looking forward to all the servicing costs that are bound to be attributed to a vehicle of this type, but it will definitely be worth keeping in pristine condition.

Great fun to drive, very well specced, loads of space in the rear. The Mutt's Nuts basically. :D

i do NOT wish to insult anyone but i would say it all boils down to your age-i bought my is 200 as a 30th birthday pressie to my self,i like the gs but it is an "old mans car"if you are mature and grown up buy the gs,if you are young and trendy keep the is or swap it for my is 200 i'll even throw in the girlfriend as a px deal :yahoo:

Hi Huggy, thanks for the offer of your girlfriend and your IS 200 :lol: I can't afford to keep my wife never mind a mistress :whistling: My problem is that I am 36 years old and I think I am in between young and trendy and old and past it!!! Could do to keep both the IS and the GS until I am 40!! :yahoo:

Glenn

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links