Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rear Fogs

Hi everyone,

I was laying awake last night and had a random thought....i have been thinking about how much better the rear of the car looks JDM spec with the fogs being rears/brakes. Now, i am not to keep on re wiring my car but was thinking for show purposes only........what makes the fog lights so bright is it the power that goes to them or the bulb itself???

I was assuming that it was the bulb in which case if they were to be replaced with tail light bulbs which i again assume would fit.....Would the fogs only be as bright as the tail lights???

If anyone has any thoughts on this let me know!!! =]

Cheers all,

Matt

hahaha......well i hope theres not too much black magic as that probably means your burning a lot of oil!!!! lol.....

.....well i was thinking it might work i mean i know that it wont work as brake lights but would work using them as optional side lights when you hit then button and i like the thought of that as that would be an alternative to re wiring the car!

Its the bulb mate......just do the conversion...all you need is the dual filament bulb holders and bulbs, very simple mod..i didnt go for the brake conversion as ive got an auto and foot is on the brake a lot more, mine are tail lights and fog!!.....there are loads of posts/topics on this run a quick search on fog mod and make your mind up!! :winky:

But you still have to alter the wiring to do the mod and i am just a little warey at the minute of doing the full monty mod at the minute.

If it is a simple case of chaging the bulb i think i will change the bulbs to side light bulbs so i have the option to see how i get on and if i get to the point of thinking sod it i want it done then i prob will...........I am trying not to 'mod' the car as i tried to give that up when i got the Lexus but its just too tempting!!! lol....I cant help it!!!!

Ive got my eyes on some coilovers and 18's too!!! ='[

See thats why i thought if i just change the bulbs it would mean that it wouldnt require any chopping about and would mean that you still get the JDM look....well without the brake working on the fogs.....BUT..........would be easy to change back to when needed. That was my thinking!??!

So can someone please tell me if i go out and get some tail light bulbs put them in the fog light holders etc that this will not cause any probs and will mean that they will work as normal tail lights?!?!? If so i know where im going at lunch!!! lol.....

Ive not seen or heard anywhere that the Brake/fog lamp mod is illegal, mine has passed the Mot several times with mine, and when i got pulled for my no. plates, he mentioned my brake lights, but said they were legal.

Ive not seen or heard anywhere that the Brake/fog lamp mod is illegal, mine has passed the Mot several times with mine, and when i got pulled for my no. plates, he mentioned my brake lights, but said they were legal.

I think its only illegal if you do not have another fog light fitted. Thats why imports always have them off the rear bumper as i dont think they are needed in Japan! Therefore they use them as rear/brake lights.

Im annoyed now as i was hoping that i would be able to change the bulbs and that would be one way of solving it! So what is the difference between the bulbs that wont allow them to fit??

Cheers for the info on this guys by the way!!! =]

it staes this is not a road legal Mod and could fail the M.O.T ?

It is legal if you want them to act as brake lights as long as they can still be used as fogs......if you turn on the fogs it will overide them being brakelights (diode).....many menbers have done this.......search for posts around 3 odd years ago (think it was one of scoprs post that explained it is legal)..

@Matt......if you do just the tail light coversion its a straight forward swap of bulb holders and if I remember correctly i run a live from the number plate light to power the tail lights ....its not much chopping mate

Here is a pic of mine Here...pics not the best quality.....camera phones have improved in the last few years hey :whistling:

in the words of James May...............C0!K!!!!

So you have to at least change the holders to accomodate the bulbs..............

hmmmmm there is no easy way of doing this is there......well unless i do the full mod??

I like James May lol so find that funny :blush:

Right ive got an update............

The rear fog bulbs are 582 12v 21w bulbs. You can get dual filliment 580 bulbs which are the same fitment. If you modify the bulbs, by flipping the side light connectors over the other side of the wedge and removing the rear brake light connectors, you do indeed have bulbs that are the same watt as the side lights and you can run these straight off the fog light button.

THIS MODIFICATION IS FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY! B)

Ah yeah as far as this post goes this would be for show purposes only as you would have to physically change the bulbs about because you would be without a rear fog! =]

no you will not - if thats your understanding then i suggest you read thru the topic again.

and IT IS ILLEGAL TO HAVE A COMBINED FOG/BRAKE LIGHT but a tail and fog is ok.

Ah yeah as far as this post goes this would be for show purposes only as you would have to physically change the bulbs about because you would be without a rear fog! =]

no you will not - if thats your understanding then i suggest you read thru the topic again.

and IT IS ILLEGAL TO HAVE A COMBINED FOG/BRAKE LIGHT but a tail and fog is ok.

Ah so it is perfectly legal to have a tail/fog and tail/brake but not brake/fog.........

..........I was referring to changing the fog light to purely tail only would be for off road use only as you would then not have a fog to the rear which would then be illegal wouldnt it??

Im getting confused!!! lol....

IT IS ILLEGAL TO HAVE A COMBINED FOG/BRAKE LIGHT but a tail and fog is ok.

On what is that based Rob, page from the MOT Testers Manual it would only fail an MOT of "the operation of the lamp was adversely affected by another lamp" as far as I can see.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links