Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Have I Gone Completely Mad?

Haylands

Bought this on eBay, flying down Thursday to pick it up, going to drive all the way back and cross Calais to Dover... about 1800miles

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=008

Am I going mad or does it seem like a laugh to you???

Comments and tips for a cross Europe road trip welcome

Pete :whistling:

At least that one has a half decent engine in. What are you going to use it for? off roading?.

Bought it to add to the ..... I've got more cc's than you game.....

6200 + 4300 (LS430) = 10,500 cc's 16 cylinders..

the guy I play it with just has a measily 3800cc's and 8 cylinders...

Pete

Pete, What a brilliant adventure.

I've taken this week off work and the weather situation makes me regret every minute of the next 7 days. Seems a great car which will give you lots of fun. This escapade is gonna be so much better than lying on the beach. Have a great trip. Can't give you any tips on the journey as I've never done it myself. My escapade was buying my car from Perth (Scotland) and travelling up from London on the overnight Caledonian Sleeper and driving straight back( 460 miles) I'm sure that the more lengths taken to to buy your car will make you appreciate it more.

Regards given with the utmost envy . Graham

Bought this on ebay, flying down Thursday to pick it up, going to drive all the way back and cross Calais to Dover... about 1800miles

Yes sir, you have gone a bit bonkers. :P

It sounds like great fun though.

Are you going on the shuttle or the ferry? You need to find out the height of the vehicle you're bringing back because there are limits on ferries and Eurotunnel. That will affect the cost. Then you may find that some crossings are more expensive when it's a one way trip which of course it will be. Are you driving down to get it in one vehicle with the driving shared and then the other person brings the original vehicle back? If that's the case, and as you're heading down the West side of France, think about booking through Speed Ferries as they go to boulogne and are cheap. Only downside is they are not a roll on/roll off ferry and you may find it takes a few more minutes to disembark than you would like. I think Continental travel is brilliant, you will not regret making this road trip I'm sure. Just plan what you can mate.

Nev

At least that one has a half decent engine in. What are you going to use it for? off roading?.

Pete

i think you should expect to find Greenpeace blockading your driveway :P

anway well ware... wonder how many tankfuls it'll take to get back.... 2000 revs all the way eh? :winky:

Hi all

Thanks for the comments............... about 50/50

Think I'm a bit mad but it seems like a laugh, spoke to the guy today and he was in shorts and the sun was blazing so will look forward to that...

My brothers comming with me, I think we will head east along Spains south coast then turn north..... keep in the sunshine as much as possible....

1800miles at 25mpg = 72 gallons of diesel.... so somewhere between 250-350 GBP depending on price of diesel in Europe...

Anyone know if these will run on vegetable oil.... thought I might try a 50/50 mix to keep the cost down and the oil thin....

Will miss the LS430 though, my better half has instructions to talk to it and stroke it gently so it won't miss me too much :-)

Pete

Bought this on ebay, flying down Thursday to pick it up, going to drive all the way back and cross Calais to Dover... about 1800miles

Yes sir, you have gone a bit bonkers. :P

It sounds like great fun though.

Are you going on the shuttle or the ferry? You need to find out the height of the vehicle you're bringing back because there are limits on ferries and Eurotunnel. That will affect the cost. Then you may find that some crossings are more expensive when it's a one way trip which of course it will be. Are you driving down to get it in one vehicle with the driving shared and then the other person brings the original vehicle back? If that's the case, and as you're heading down the West side of France, think about booking through Speed Ferries as they go to boulogne and are cheap. Only downside is they are not a roll on/roll off ferry and you may find it takes a few more minutes to disembark than you would like. I think Continental travel is brilliant, you will not regret making this road trip I'm sure. Just plan what you can mate.

Nev

Nev

We are flying down to Faro then driving back, calais - dover ferry already booked with priority boading and club lounge.... booked through airmiles so cost £0

Flight from Doncaster - Faro direct flight with extra legroom seat, two bags and food..... total cost £77 pays to travel off season....

Thanks for the advice

Pete

Pete, What a brilliant adventure.

I've taken this week off work and the weather situation makes me regret every minute of the next 7 days. Seems a great car which will give you lots of fun. This escapade is gonna be so much better than lying on the beach. Have a great trip. Can't give you any tips on the journey as I've never done it myself. My escapade was buying my car from Perth (Scotland) and travelling up from London on the overnight Caledonian Sleeper and driving straight back( 460 miles) I'm sure that the more lengths taken to to buy your car will make you appreciate it more.

Regards given with the utmost envy . Graham

Graham

Thanks for the kind words I intend to enjoy every minute of it.... might get a bit sick of the exhaust noise though.... then again probably won't.....

Pete

Nev

We are flying down to Faro then driving back, calais - dover ferry already booked with priority boading and club lounge.... booked through airmiles so cost £0

Flight from Doncaster - Faro direct flight with extra legroom seat, two bags and food..... total cost £77 pays to travel off season....

Thanks for the advice

Pete

That sounds an interesting way to do it, and you seem to have thought it all through. Have fun. I'm off to Romania in my IS200 next April so just a bit further than your journey. :P

Nev

Hi all

Thanks for the comments............... about 50/50

Think I'm a bit mad but it seems like a laugh, spoke to the guy today and he was in shorts and the sun was blazing so will look forward to that...

My brothers comming with me, I think we will head east along Spains south coast then turn north..... keep in the sunshine as much as possible....

1800miles at 25mpg = 72 gallons of diesel.... so somewhere between 250-350 GBP depending on price of diesel in Europe...

Anyone know if these will run on vegetable oil.... thought I might try a 50/50 mix to keep the cost down and the oil thin....

Will miss the LS430 though, my better half has instructions to talk to it and stroke it gently so it won't miss me too much :-)

Pete

Yes, you should be able to run on a 50/50 mix, depending on what type of seals you have on the fuel filter, normally after 500 mile the fuel filter should be changed, as the veg oil will loosen the crud left by Diesel, but if you add 1 ltr of white spirit, this will help keep the veggy oil thinner so you could get away with 60/40 in favour of veggie oil.

If by some misfortune, you get a slight leak from the fuel filter, just top up with Diesel, and this will fix any leak.

Even better if you can find a garage which sells Biodiesel as this has been through various stages to remove water and glycerin.

I run my truck on BioDiesel @ 90p a ltr. and find it quicker and a slightly better mpg. In the winter I run on 80% bio and 20% diesel.

People can smell you coming a mile off, a mobile chip fryer :lol:

Have a great journey

Pete

Hi Pete

Can I play that game too

4300 (GS430) +5,000 (merc S500)+6,200 (chevy)+4,200 (merc gs)+4,600 (R/r)+6,300(merc ml) =30,600cc's and 48 cyclinders :shifty:

and if I include the boat that adds another 21,000cc's and 36 cyclinders and 3,600 hp

As you can see I'm doing my bit for the enviroment :whistling:

Ooooh, a game, can I play, please, can I?????

I have 2000cc and 6 cylinders, which, if you add my kayaks goes to, umm, ok, the same!

And the moral of the story, it's not the size, it's what you do with it that counts. So I'm buggered on both counts then. Damn!

I've done a similar trip a couple of times. Down through Spain to Malaga area, either via Salamanca/Seville, or down the centre, avoiding big cities. But in November, stick to coasts. Going up Portugals coast and across will be wet this time of year? But the centre of Spain....the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain, remember? And that IS the plain! If you stay in Paradors, though, you'd be alright!

Visit a few nice places? Segovia? Porto?Coimbra. Salamanca. Santiago de Compostela. Santillana near Santander is interesting for a stop off. Roads are good and sparsely populated.

Buen viaje!

• 2 weeks later...

Pete, do you have any 'news' of your trip? Did you go? The suspense is killing us. Put us out of our misery.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links