Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Servicing An Is300 By Yourself

Ian D

Does anyone do their own servicing?

Once upon a time I used to be an engineer (aircraft design/maintenance) and serviced my own cars. My first was a Beetle, which I serviced religiously every 3,000 miles (oil, tappets, timing, grease bearings, adjust handbrake - those were the days) but then cars got a bit complicated, I changed jobs, didn't have the time (kids). My pride still hurts - real men do their own servicing, don't they?

Now I've got a bit more time and no wife to take the car into the garage, it seems to me to be just as much hassle putting my IS300 (coming up to 5 yrs old, 80k miles) into a garage as doing the work myself. Plus I can do something constructive instead of shuffling numbers around on a computer (I feel a bit like Monty Python's lumberjack yearning to break free).

I can get bits from various sellers delivered to my door.

I've ordered a manual on CD.

I've got tools including a trolley jack.

My local tip will take my old oil.

Can anyone help me with pearls of wisdom, such as:

Does anyone do their own servicing?

Has anyone actually done a timing belt change themselves?

Would it all be false economy (no log book stamp) or pride before a fall (I could get something wrong)?

All inputs appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian

If you know your way round engines, it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't service my GS300 myself, but I know there are quite a few lads on here that service their older GS and LS models themselves.

If you are planning to keep the car for a long time, then the absence of a dealer stamp shouldn't be that big a deal, just keep all the invoices for parts replaced.

AFAIK, cambelt change can be done yourself too. Just get all the other bits like tensioners,pulley and idlers to change at the same time.

i do all my work on car myself apart from t/belt, it's not the point i cant do it i can im a car mech just not in the trade anymore, the point is if the belt snaps for any reason ie belt failure i have no come back, if a garage does the job its there problem if you see what i meen as a new engine isnt cheep

i do all my work on car myself apart from t/belt, it's not the point i cant do it i can im a car mech just not in the trade anymore, the point is if the belt snaps for any reason ie belt failure i have no come back, if a garage does the job its there problem if you see what i meen as a new engine isnt cheep

If the belt goes on a 300 you just put on a new belt, no engine damage.

If the belt goes on a 300 you just put on a new belt, no engine damage.

Is this the same for the Mk1 GS300's?

yes, they basically have the same engine

Cheers. That is quite comforting to know.

I have a IS200 and have done the past 7 services myself, not sure how it compares to the 300, but there is not a massive amount to the service on the IS200.

If you were keeping the car a short time it might be false economy, but I knew I was planning to keep my car a while and being upto 130,000+ miles when I do sell it wont be worth a fortune anyway. Plus I have all the parts invoices anyway, so any new owner could see all the work carried out.

i do all my servicing too, havn't had the car long enough to worry about it just yet and was done not long before i bought it, and the timing belt was done recently too...

when i service my is200 what do i need to change, usual oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, is there anything else i need to do?

cheers

i do all my servicing too, havn't had the car long enough to worry about it just yet and was done not long before i bought it, and the timing belt was done recently too...

when i service my is200 what do i need to change, usual oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, is there anything else i need to do?

cheers

Yer Tom all of the above, but im not sure about the fuel filter, never seen one on the is200 ? anyone know where it is ?

i may be wrong but i remember reading the fuel filter didn't need changing on the IS....

yes rob-lex i dont think the fuel fillter needs changing on the is200......if it does wont it be somewhere near the boot or under the rear seat`s??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links