Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Spanish Racism

WylieCoyote

I was outraged to hear about the racism that Lewis Hamilton received when in Spain. The guy's an ambassador for our country. What do you think Spain's punishment should be?

Do you think stripping Spain of it's Grand Prix is the answer? Will it solve the problem? I think not.

I think they should either pull the GP from spain or impose something similar to what happened with Italian football last year.

There was lots of violence etc so all top flight games were played behind closed doors.

I think the FIA need to make it very very clear that this sort of behaviour is not accepted at all.

In football the Spanish Coach last year or 2006 got away with Racism directed toward Tierry Henri

I believe ? All he got was a slap on the wrist. It seems to be tollerated in Spain if it is directed

towards a direct Sporting rival Hamilton - Alonso, Spain vs France etc.

A simple 1 year ban and massive fine would indeed be justified, though heaven forbid any eastern

European nation gets a fantastic driver to rival Lewis, again this issue would rear it's ugly head.

Wake up Spain and get with the 21st Century !

Pulling the GP out of Spain punishes the majority NOT the minority of idiots who were invovled

They have the technology to identify these people and punish them. Spain then can be seen to be acting on this by making the penalties harsh.

On saying this, a couple of weeks ago the UK FIRE SERVICE held a recruitment drive for "ethnics" only. There was NO public outcry or any "Racism" action taken on behalf of "White" people? We are now so used to being ordered around that we tend to be outraged when other peole are discriminated against but don't mind when it happens to us.

If "we" fly our flag somebody complains and the powers that be tell us to take it down 'cos it offends somebody! That somebody who is usually not a British passport holder but the holder of a UB40 card to collect OUR dole money.

Rant Over

IMHO the answer is "nothing further at the moment", the track, the Spanish authorites and the FIA responded quickly and in the right way.

Warnings are out in no uncertain manner so we just have to wait and see if it is a "storm in a tea cup".

They have the technology to identify these people and punish them.

Sorry ROFL, by 'technology' I presume you mean a camera? Although they were trying to disguise themselves with black make-up, the tee shirts with 'Hamilton's Family' badly written and misspelt were a bit of a giveaway. :angry:

in my opinion they should pull the grand prix and come down on them like a ton of bricks showing zero tollerance.

this will send the message, and hopefully not let things escalate like football did for years, by the FA turning a blind eye.

Pulling the GP out of Spain punishes the majority NOT the minority of idiots who were invovled

They have the technology to identify these people and punish them. Spain then can be seen to be acting on this by making the penalties harsh.

On saying this, a couple of weeks ago the UK FIRE SERVICE held a recruitment drive for "ethnics" only. There was NO public outcry or any "Racism" action taken on behalf of "White" people? We are now so used to being ordered around that we tend to be outraged when other peole are discriminated against but don't mind when it happens to us.

If "we" fly our flag somebody complains and the powers that be tell us to take it down 'cos it offends somebody! That somebody who is usually not a British passport holder but the holder of a UB40 card to collect OUR dole money.

Rant Over

The man has a point - white people are discriminated against so much - even in ways you don't notice - like he says the 'ethnics only' stuff. Where I work there's a black and asian support group - and no one says a damn thing. If they ever tried to introduce a white persons support group god only knows what the reaction would be! I am by no stretch of the imagination racist, but you can't have one rule for one and one rule for another. Also pulling the GP would be punishing everyone, not just the individuals involved - they probably won't even be bothered if it gets pulled.

Reality probably more like - TV on, sitting in a chair is a person wearing a short sleeved vest pulling on a can of lager with a fag in the ashtray, complaining about all these Eastern Europeans coming to this country and "knicking our jobs". The letter box rattles, "That i'll be the postman with my Giro then, best get down the PO and cash it i'm nearly out of fags". Justification for that "I worked a summer job one year when I was at college, HND in the workings of the benefit system, paid tax and NI that time so I'm entitled not like those lazy foreign gits". Marvellous thing higher education and we got more every year so the stats look good but they are not learning anything useful.

Anyway back on topic, suppose Manuel and his mates got the arse, "blacked up" and went to Silverstone and hurled some (unacceptable) abuse, would you all be saying pull the British GP, don't think so somehow.

Why are people wanting something to be done about this?I cant understand.Why do we all give a **** about racism?The people involved,loosers with no room for intelligent argument or discussion.Why should a country,sport or team be penalised for the actions of a few individuals.Do we really believe when Hamilton says,he was upset by the racist chanting etc.I dont believe him,because every ethnic group of people living or working in any country are aware of the fact that racism is all around them and if they are suddenly shocked by the attituides or actions of people then they were either expecting too much from life or are just plain naive.Lots of people dont like the colour of my skin and once or twice in my life ive been on the recieving end of racist verbal attacks,however it really doesnt affect me.Why?Well because we cant change the world,we can only change ourselves and hope that has some effect.What pisses me off about this country in general nowadays is the fact that it doesnt matter if your white/black/brown or green most people have some sort of chip on their shoulder about racism and how they are affected negatively.Just stop moaning FFS,nothing is gonna change and if we arent careful those chips will eventually become huge logs that we carry around,eventually ruining our lives.If a country opens its doors to the world,then that government is brutally aware of what their agenda is and how they will benefit from it,even if joe public the voter hasnt gotta clue.

Well said Raj, I'm with you.

I don't care what colour, race or religion you are, abide by the law and be prepared to work for a living and you are OK with me. There are some aholes out there who will always blame their misfortune on someone else, easiest is someone who looks different to them.

Ironic really seeing as most the Spanish people are descendants of the Moors, who were essentially dark skinned. Or maybe they forget that fact ?

Either way it was clearly not a sporting thing to do just because he is the better driver ;-)

Makes you wonder what they might have done if Button was in the same position as Hamilton was in last year.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links