Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gutted...vandals

Absolutely gutted!

My near side window was smashed along with another car in the household yesterday night (10-10.30pm), see pics. below.

Excess to be paid when auto glass replacement guys come - could have done without this.

Strangely, alarm did not go off at all (the baby lexus kept quite as it was being abused!...how sad). I have convinced myself that I locked the car when I last used it - I am very trigger happy when getting out of the car. Perhaps I pressed the 'lock' button twice and disengaged the radar sensor function (surely, alarm would still go off if intruder tries to break in?).

The vandal(s) probably used one of those shatter glass hammers on both cars (sadly, the other car in the household was a Toyota too, albeit not the luxury range).

Whoever did it, came on to my private driveway, 'tapped' the back window of the Yaris, negotiated through the small passage between car and hedge, bypass the Lex n/s rear window and 'tapped' the n/s front. Not sure about the vandals logic (why not tap the n/s rear?) but makes me very angry indeed! :tsktsk:

As a formality, I phoned the police. Incident no. and crime ref. to follow, a waste of time! (A quote from 'Goodfellas' the movie comes to mind...Jimmy, I'd complain, but who'd listen?)

If only the alarm went off, those golf clubs in the hallway would have got an outing! Would have defended my property to the hilt...

Any advice for when the auto glass replacement guys come as to type of window replacement?

dscn00011qg7.jpg

dscn00012dj4.jpg

dscn0001mu2.jpg

Sorry to hear that, take it you've asked neighbours over the road/next door? I thought the only thing that hapenns when you press lock twice (as I do) is it deadlocks the car? (i.e. if your 'guest' tried to reach in to open the door once window was smashed, he wouldnt be able to)

Anywho to look on the bright side, if it was vandals, they could have done alot worse (expensive) damage to your lex. It's still sh*tty when it hapenns though :(

C4ShR gutted for you. Having been victim of the same kind of thing a few times I know how annoying it is. Out of interest where in Manchester are you? I live in Stockport and twice we have had someone smash a window in every car on the street. Might be a pattern??

Really sorry to hear this mate there are some complete idiots about!

Did anything get taken or was it just a smash and run?

tHomBleached - it depends on what year your IS is to what happens when the button is pressed twice. Some deadlock and some the internal sensors get switched off (for say if you leave a dog in the car)

I'm in Prestwich, near Heaton Park (North Manchester). Quiet orthodox jewish area I am LED to believe.

Did the rounds last night with the neighbours, nobody saw anything! Turns out that another Lexus IS owner down the street (blue '03) had his mirror swiped, next door has an IS too (platinum ice '99) but not a problem. Fancy having three on the same street, sure that is some sort of record (3 out of 24 neighbours having a Lex too!).

Got the window replaced by National Windscreens. Only went with them as RAC Autowindscreen/Autoglass had no windows available. Basically, they did a crap job! Clearing up is part of their remit and there were loads of shards still on the passenger seat, mat etc etc. When I was waiting in reception, there was a phone complaint and then to my horror, another dissatisfied customer came in complaining about a recent fit. I was assured my fit would be fine - will wait and see on this. I'm sure other depots aren't that bad but consider if you come to fit.

The guy who replaced the window told me that someone shot at the car with a pellet type gun and showed me the damage to other parts of the paintwork (see below, disregard the self inflicted arch scrapes :whistling: ). Its quite a rounded deep ding. Autoglass who did the Yaris say that it was an air gun too. This is worrying...!!! :o

Now I definitely have experience of why Manchester is called Gunchester!!! I am due to move down 'sarf...can't wait.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7163/dscn0001kn2.jpg

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/8590/dscn00012zt6.jpg

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8463/dscn00011va8.jpg

Really Really feel for you mate , I've had it done to me and it makes you feel physically sick , then the anger comes and its probably good if you never find out who done this , I on the other hand found out who did mine and I ended up at the end with a suspended sentance an a 2K dentists bill form the Mug .

These vermin need hanging and its becoming all too common a sight - vehicles damaged , the usual procedure of breaking auto glass is to use a small peice of ceramic (the white part on a spark plugs) break it up and it breaks glass effortlessley and without noise , you just have to flick it at the window , have a look and see if you find a peice inside the car.

Try this out on a peice of old car glass or an old banger at the breakers yard and you'll see how quiet it is , its shocking .

Sorry again mate its awful .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links