Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3g Iphone Announcement

I really don't think you took my comment as it was intended, it wasn't meant to offend in the slightest and was tongue in cheek. I do apologise if it offended you in some way.

6 iPhones, is probably a record. There have been very few reported hardware issues, just minor software bugs in old software versions. Perhaps she kept getting replacements from the same store and hence the same faulty batch. But let's not pretend this is a widespread issue. Look at the customer satisfaction link above.

Good evasion of the subject matter BTW. Let's keep an eye on X1 sales.

PS Keep your hair on!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never once insinuated it was a widespread fault, just the case for her.

she is now on her 6th. the most common problem being complete re-formatting of all stored data (i.e all contacts, messages etc etc). she's also had a problem with intermittent blank spots during telephone calls and another where calls were being dropped left right and centre. think all were replaced from the same store......

don't worry about my lovely head of hair, it aint going anywhere matey :lol:

yea, lets keep looking at the X1 and i'll give an in depth review when i get mine......just like i did the Iphone may i add!!!

To be honest, these issues sound unrelated to the Iphone hardware and the store she is going to is giving bad advice.

Firstly, as far as data is concerned, that is all just a direct sync to iTunes, so it is probably an issue on your Mum's PC. Perhaps some of the iTunes data has perhaps somehow been corrupted. I wouldn't DARE suggest that it may well be related to Windows, which she is most likely running - but it could be. :whistling:

As far as the dropouts, this will be down to AT&T's dodgy network, which by all accounts is rubbish, however nothing to do with Iphone hardware. All phones on that network will behave similarly. She should perhaps move house like Tigerfish.

If nothing else the Iphone is helping with population distribution. :)

There is no point talking to you Tyger. If you don't work for apple, you surely should do. You are somewhat tunnel visioned towards the Iphone. If you took just a couple of minutes to read the link you posted and took your apple shaped blinkers off, you would clearly see that it could be biased anyway you like it. For instance, the figure published is just showing "Very Satisfied" as the response from the consumers. Surely anyone who is "satisfied" is also happy with their phone. Why leave those out, could it possibly be that it would show a different result? Yup, I would say so.

And for the record, I would never move house based on my mobile phone usage. It should be up to the network providers to provide a service that is fit for use. If not, they should get new designers in ;)

I am not tunnel-visioned due to ignorance I am tunnel-visioned through having vast experience within the IT and mobile sectors, and thus a clear vision of what succeeds and what doesn't. The Iphone is a game-changer, like the iPod. It has and will turn the mobile industry on it's head. Which is a GOOD thing!

I have no affiliation with apple other than being a minor shareholder, but please don't think my posts are in order to increase the share price, (If ONLY that were possible!) I bought into apple in 2000 as it was crystal clear to me, when Mac OS X first came, out what apple were going to achieve. I was right, but this is only the start. I suggest, as I did on this board many many months ago that anyone do the same. In years to come the apple story will be talked about in University's the world over. And maybe one day you will realise that I am not quite as barmy as I may appear. :)

If you took your blinkers off you would clearly see that the survey also includes other popular brands... and therefore is a level playing field... :)

hehe yes I agree it is up to the mobile phone companies - however the limiting factor in the network build is not the network operators but the planning permission required in order to provide the coverage you deserve.

If you give the nod I could arrange for some ex-colleagues to come and build a mast in your back garden. I am sure this would improve your coverage no end! ;)

I have no affiliation with Apple other than being a minor shareholder, but please don't think my posts are in order to increase the share price, (If ONLY that were possible!) I bought into Apple in 2000 as it was crystal clear to me, when Mac OS X first came, out what Apple were going to achieve.

But had you had the proper foresight, you would've bought shares in Microsoft ;)

If you took your blinkers off you would clearly see that the survey also includes other popular brands... and therefore is a level playing field... :)

You missed the point. So far, IME and from what I have seen, the only people that bought the Iphone were true technophiles. They are generally much more excitable about these things, and are more likely to respond to being "Very Satisfied". Where as people like me who have a mobile phone to make calls (and occasionally use the camera as it is handy when you have it with you all the time), just use the thing and are "satisfied", 'cos it is just a bloody phone. I use my ipod for music (see, I am not anti Apple). So the upshot, it is very likely there is a good reason for leaving out the "satisfied" folk. Get it? ;)

hehe yes I agree it is up to the mobile phone companies - however the limiting factor in the network build is not the network operators but the planning permission required in order to provide the coverage you deserve.

If you give the nod I could arrange for some ex-colleagues to come and build a mast in your back garden. I am sure this would improve your coverage no end! ;)

It is not my bakyard I have the coverage problems, but I can tell you where I do so if you would be ever so kind and see to the problem it would be much appreciated :whistling:

To be honest, these issues sound unrelated to the iPhone hardware and the store she is going to is giving bad advice.

Firstly, as far as data is concerned, that is all just a direct sync to iTunes, so it is probably an issue on your Mum's PC. Perhaps some of the iTunes data has perhaps somehow been corrupted. I wouldn't DARE suggest that it may well be related to Windows, which she is most likely running - but it could be. :whistling:

As far as the dropouts, this will be down to AT&T's dodgy network, which by all accounts is rubbish, however nothing to do with iPhone hardware. All phones on that network will behave similarly. She should perhaps move house like Tigerfish.

If nothing else the iPhone is helping with population distribution. :)

hmm, interesting points there and all quite valid...................

EXCEPT!!!! my mum, dad and sister all have iPhones and run a mac and macbook through which they sync to itunes etc etc. so, why is it then, that their phones are ok, but my mum's is not?? same procedures and protocols used on all 3. same area of commuting and living so reception is no different......

only potential fault must be that particular handset....

sorry, but that's 1 to me (seeing as u like the one upmanship approach.... :whistling: )

Iphone V1 was a flop in the UK..

Iphone 3g is a much bigger success so far but apple had to change there strategy to fit the UK market. if it was soooo good then we would have bought it anyway. (and not had to slash £100 of the price)

In truth its a nice handest but not eaxctly a world beater other handsets do similar things and have done for a while. as previously mentioned appl do like to get you with there add ons ie no dock inckuded this time.

Also some major issues, BT not fuly compatible, not a2dp (no music streaming over BT), no front camera facing camera (y not on a 3g phone), no video capture, 2 mega pixel camera (in this age??) with no flash or autofocus...

i may add that one of the market leading handsets Nokia N95 either variant has all this and more.. the only thing that it doesnt have is touch screen and the fancy (and agreably v nice) tilt stuff.. and its been free on lower contracts for so much longer AND you can chise what network you want!

oh.. and you can swap batterys too! :P

I've had a bit of a play with the new handset today and like it, the phone is definitely better with the 3g connection - everything else is pretty much the same as the old one.

There have been quite a few problems with the aerial in the first gen phone - it doesn't help the metal backing probably works as a Faraday cage but I looked the problem up and a lot of people have the same fault. Its annoying but without swapping the hardware I just live with it. Can't swap as this is a US import that I've jailbroken.

I'm looking forward to upgrading to the new firmware so I can take advantage of the Exchange support - not really bothered about anything else they added, I'll stick to the apps I use for now - IMHO MobileScrobbler is well cool!

I have to say tho it is amusing how fanatical you come across at times Tyger - you certainly love your apple products? I'm guessing you even use apple condoms as you like the taste :P

Why not make a few car related posts as well as all the apple related posts you make? Its all good!

About these comments regarding the Battery - I noticed the new handset has accessible screws on the bottom and the Battery is no longer soldered on so I'm assuming we will see aftermarket batteries become available further down the line of the lifespan of the handset?

Rob: Ok you win this time! ;)

Redz: You seem to be under the illusion that specs are what matters in a phone and not useability. If you seriously think the N95/6 are better devices than the Iphone then I suggest you actually USE an Iphone. Those phones are just AWFUL. Really. Clunky, ugly, ghastly unwieldy menus system, HORRIFIC browsing. OMG I feel physically sick just thinking about them. Please don't quote me megapixels. That old chestnut is SO tedious. If you want a camera buy a camera. People will vote with their dosh.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/17858/

N95 is free for a reason. N96 is just a service pack!

The Iphone is not a wolrdbeater huh? Let's see. :whistling:

Aido: Yes I do love apple products. Just like Lexus they CARE about their products. They produce products that they want to use. Not just high-specs. These things WORK!

Well spotted about the screws. You are absolutely right. Just like the iPod there will be companies sprouting up to change batteries. they are probably offering this already.

Speaking of batteries... http://www.pcworld.com/article/148348/3g_i...ats_rivals.html

I do post about cars now and then! In the LS430 section!

Not tried apple condoms yet, but I will pass on your experiences of the taste to my GF and see if she wants to try... :whistling: :winky:

If you want a camera buy a camera.

I love it when someone shoots themselves in the foot. So if you want a browser, buy a PC or Laptop, if you want to play music, buy an mp3 player, if you want to watch films, buy a TV. So what is the point of all the BS you keep spouting then? All you are left with is a mobile phone being a phone, you know, for making phone calls. In which case, you don't need an Iphone over any other phone.

If you seriously think the N95/6 are better devices than the iPhone then I suggest you actually USE an iPhone. Those phones are just AWFUL. Really. Clunky, ugly, ghastly unwieldy menus system, HORRIFIC browsing. OMG I feel physically sick just thinking about them.

This is where you are so full of twoddle. I have an N95, and for what I use it for, I love it. Menus and everything. I don't care if it is better than the Iphone or not, it was free and works great for me. So there :P

I guess the fact you ignored my post about your linked survey being complete tosh means you are now avoiding the subject??

PS Geoffers: I design and rollout mobile phone networks and have had any phone I want for free with unlimited usage for years. The iPhone knocks them all dead. Patronise someone else. :whistling:

Grow up. I seriously doubt you have had every model and version of software, especially since the Iphone was released. If you have, you haven't really used it everyday as your only phone. It is quite clear you dislike the competitors software/hardware therefore will not spend a lot of time with them. Lets be realistic here - it is human nature - try something (even several times) and not like it, then find something you do and you will not return to the previous. A quick try maybe to some extent but they will always be tainted. If you aren't mature enough to have read into this and take it as me patronising you then I apologise for offending you.

If you seriously think the N95/6 are better devices than the iPhone then I suggest you actually USE an iPhone.

Oh look - you've said the same as I did to you! Redz has had and used an Iphone - he is in the trade mate. Understand my context now?

I don't think you actually realise how patronising you are to people yourself. Something which isn't really an issue to me as but thought I'd point it out as you don't like it when it appears someone is patronising you. The difference is you let yourself down in your own arguments. Its not something you will ever see due to your apple fanaticism. Don't forget there is a human element here.

a bit :offtopic: ... I hope you didn't design and rollout the O2 or Vodafone networks, 'cos if you did, you did a sh%t job. I still can't believe that I lose signal on both networks on my journey between Basingstoke and Dorking. It's not as if I'm in the middle of nowhere :tsktsk:

If it was an apple network you would still get a good signal on Neptune. They would even be better than if Carling built them.....

PS Geoffers: I design and rollout mobile phone networks and have had any phone I want for free with unlimited usage for years. :whistling:

Yes, we know. You continually tell us with monotonous regularity. Is this for you to appear superior? How does this have an effect on people liking or disliking the Iphone? Which area are you in exactly? You may have a part in the design but you promote yourself as if you design the entire phone network - this loses you credibility. Have you any idea of my position in the industry?

Maneesh: Ye old replaceable battery one eh? *sigh* Yeah what a flop the iPod has been because it has no replaceable battery...

How silly Maneesh. Just use the extortionate "apple replacement Battery service" No worries there mate.

As for ur mum, she must be a special lady! Faults and bugs huh? She could get good money working for the X1 team! Let's not exaggerate Rob... :)

Yes, don't be silly Rob. This couldn't possibly have happened to anyone. Ever.

Tigerfish: OK whatever you say. You can go on about the survey all you want, it doesn't matter, that was one link out of hundreds. Just keep your eyes open and you will see what the world thinks of the Iphone. :) I hope you thoroughly enjoy your N95 and will be very happy together. After all, not everyone WANTS an LS600H.

Geoffers: Learn to read. Where did I say I had every model and software version? I said I had any phone I want. I have played with and tested many many models including all those touted as "Iphone killers". Most of them are utter junk and I wouldn't DREAM of using any of these as my everyday phone - you are absolutely right - as they are utterly useless and frustrating next to the Iphone.

You are funny. I am a fan of the Iphone and apple products for good reason. They push technology forward rather than wallowing in mediocrity like Windows and other handsets. Like Lexus. What is wrong with you that you can't see this? On one hand you choose a Lexus above all others for good reason and yet you don't have the ability to see an industry-changing product line when it slaps you in the face. Which if you are in any way connected with the mobile industry is embarrassing. I don't give a hoot what position you have in the industry - but it certainly isn't as any kind of visionary.

The Iphone isn't for everyone of course. But those who have used it and UNDERSTAND the end to end software delivery and still can't see how huge this is need to wake up.

You can keep moaning on if you wish but this will change nothing. Will you still be posting this nonsense when the Iphone is as popular as the iPod? Good luck.

This product line is kicking the industry up the ***** and one day will be seen as the one that defined the industry for the next 10 years. Mark my words.

I just have to sit here and wait. What are you going to do as it gradually dawns on you?

Tigerfish: OK whatever you say. You can go on about the survey all you want, it doesn't matter, that was one link out of hundreds. Just keep your eyes open and you will see what the world thinks of the iPhone. :) I hope you thoroughly enjoy your N95 and will be very happy together. After all, not everyone WANTS an LS600H.

You are a card. First you come here and and post a link to a cr%p survey telling us that it backs up what you have been saying all along, then when someone says it doesn't, you say it doesn't matter. Why did you post it then? And you are correct, there will be hundreds more that are cr%p too. You then say that you should use a decicated piece of equipment for features that are not "phone" related, and ignore me again. If you are going to contradict yourself, you should at least go down in flames fighting, not brush it off and hope no-one will notice.

Oh, and you are correct, I don't like the LS so wouldn't WANT one.

Tyger, lets put it in p;lane english that even a 5 year old could understand........

not everyone likes the Iphone, not everyone wants the Iphone, not everyone thinks the sun shines proverbally through the back door of the Iphone and not everyone likes your fact-lacking comments.

if you want a camera, buy a camera......hmmmm, that's useful. i'll just buy a £5 phone then as thats all i really want a PHONE for is it?? you tool, grow up!! accept the fact that people may not like the Iphone.

it isn't some piece of life changing electonic wizardry that anyone couldn't live without!!!

i look forward to your posts as they make me laugh - i have never known anyone to be so narrow minded and tunnel visioned about one product/company in my life. do you live ur life with such monotony?? only shop at one store, only buy one brand of bog roll, etc etc. what's with it mate? seriously, please explain. i can see u like apple products, so do i. some of the stuff on the mac's are superb - there's no doubting that (u see what i did there.....praise something out of my niche...), but is there really all this need to OFFEND other people in the process of spreading the good word of the gospel according to Saint Steve Jobs??? doubt it!!

can u answer a question for me?? why did apple have to slash the price of the Iphone over here??

can u answer me another one?? why is the Iphone lacking in features that someone would certainly expect for the price apple are r@ping them for??? (if ur not sure what i mean, lets start with no video camera, no flash, naff MP, lack of customisibility, etc etc)??

its great u like apple so much, but maybe save the propaganda rubbish for an apple forum - i'm sure u know they exist?!?!

Tyger you came along and said this last year a couple of my mates bought it and sold it on as it was more of a fasion statement than anything else.

And its not set the world alight or even had a blip on the mobile market. I will never buy one not because i dont like it just because it doesnt suit my life style, im always under a car or got greasey hands so the phone would get utterly destroyed.

You said in a previous post that the N95 is ugly and you feel sick thinking about it this just shows that you like it for its looks and the way the menus are all pretty and what not.

I do agree with you that apple are good at marketing there products and they do have alot of (no offence) but idiots like yourself that seems like they would lay down there lives for the company. Itunes is very good everyone knows that. Mac computers are very good for editing etc but fall down in other areas. The Iphone is good for flashing out your pocket and trying to look Oh so cool.

I think you really need to take a chill pill and see that other people have other opinions than yours and that you might not be right about it, i very much doubt in the next few years everyone walking around with an Iphone because if eveyone does it wont be cool to have one.

I for one am looking for a free PS3 with my next phone deal :D yippy GT5 when that comes out. Sell whatever phone they give me and keep my N95 as its not let me down once since i've had it, and now ive got the garmin sat nav on it, its even better.

Also theres one main thing that i think EVERYONE has been missing is it not just a phone and there are far more important things in the world to be thinking about rather than arguing over a stupid bit of "new tech".

Just my thoughts

Also theres one main thing that i think EVERYONE has been missing is it not just a phone and there are far more important things in the world to be thinking about rather than arguing over a stupid bit of "new tech".

You are 100% right mate.

Does this mean we are going to start whinging about petrol prices on this thread now? Oooh, I can't wait. :shifty:

is it not just a phone and there are far more important things in the world to be thinking about

I'm not sure tyger knows about anything else in HIS world.

LOL at this thread. Ive found it quite amusing yet quite disturbing at the same time!

At the end of the day its each to there own and as long as the individual is happy with there choice then all is good!, no need to force your opinion on others Tyger.

I two am a fan of apple products since being introduced to them a year or so ago, i now have a mac, ipod touch and will be looking to get an Iphone when my contract is up for renewal in September. apple products are ideal for me, but not necessarily everyone else's cup of tea and that is fine!

This is almost as bad as those who argue about the Xbox360 and PS3. Who gives a shyte, there both quality machines (for the record i have an Xbox 360 :P )

Lol, this thread has cracked me up, been off here for a few weeks due to being quite busy, but it was good to catch up!

I for one do not doubt the potential success of the Iphone, it's a cool and stylish product and it is very likely that it will sell very well. However, my issue is with the fact that I don't think it's particularly easy to use, plus it lacks a few key features (A2DP for one) that would annoy me. Plus it isn't really that good a business tool, more a funky web browsing, media device for fashion concious people..........

Besides, popularity doesn't necessarily make something good, look at how well Renaults and Peugeots sell as an example :lol:

P.S. I don't mind that you feel strongly about apple products, why not just use facts and explanations though, instead of rudeness and personal insults? :unsure:

Financial Times, 18th July: apple fails BlackBerry test

The FT’s technology correspondent, Paul Taylor reviews the Iphone 3G and suggests the elegant design and welcome improvements do not compensate business users for the lack of a Qwerty keyboard, limited Battery life and disappointing GPS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Financial Times, 18th July: Nokia's sales buck fears of slowdown

Nokia reported a 13 per cent year-on-year rise in earnings per share for the second quarter and increasing its sales forecasts.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links