Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wim/tony B Recommends 35 Psi For 17"?

is this regardless of having your IS' geometry adjusted to WIM magic settings and regardless of the extra weight/passengers?

The IS200 owner's manual p. 233 recommends for less than 100 mph (all of us!) that for up to 4 occupants 33 psi front and rear; and for up to full capacity weight 33 psi front and 35 psi rear.

35psi front and rear unless additional load parameters are suggested in the handbook.

Years ago when we was testing our new calibration positions we had four regular research cars and loads of "fine-tune" cars where we monitored the tyre wear.... The only consistent pattern of adverse wear was under inflation hence the move to 35psi from 33psi.

We seem to be running near identical posts http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...ic=52369&hl= .

People are being a bit naive to believe either the Lexus or WIM settings are the optimum for their particular setup, as the variables (wheel & tyre size/width, tyre manufacturer/rubber compound type, typical speed/loading etc.) make this very unlikely.

The pressures are those recommended as a starting point, and should be adjusted either up or down in say 2 psi increments until even tyre wear is obtained (if maximum tyre life is your criteria).

I believe the WIM recommendation of 35 psi is a better starting point than those in the Lexus handbook, and in the majority of cases can be regarded as near optimum for the IS200, but to blindly follow either the WIM or Lexus recommendations without monitoring the effects and making adjustments as necessary would be foolish.

My IS200 Sport on OEM standard 17" rims shod with Toyo Proxes 4 is running 35 psi all round with no tyre wear issues so far, so good. :)

If peeps aren't aware of what to look for...generally if there's more wear in the centre, reduce pressure..more wear at the edge, increase pressure. If the wear is uneven in any way, take it to Tony :lol:

And would this be the same for Rota lightweight wheels on 225/40/18 Yokos?

I been running a little under (32-33psi) and not had any problems. Will up them a bit and give that a go.

If you are not having any uneven tyre wear issues then I would stick with what you have already.

Seconded. Nice post Terry :D

slightly :offtopic: but relevant....

I started at 35psi all round when I changed my wheel combination from std Lexus 17" rims to IS250 18" Sport rims.

The front felt like they were totally flat, and the back end seemed to lack any kind of grip.

After some comparison calculations (between the IS250 Sport and my own IS200 S/C) chassis weights, corner weighting,

and Lexus & Dunlop recommended pressures for the Tyres, firstly 37 Front & 36 Rear was tried.

Thanks to Tango for some of the IS250 data I used.

After a few days driving with this combination, it was felt there was definately an improvement, but the front needed an

increase as did the rear, (front was still feeling slightly heavy, rear still feeling like it was sliding when pushed & slightly wallowy).

I then tried the pressures at their current ones, 38psi Front 37psi Rear. The Tyres were Dunlop Sportsmaxx (as fitted to the IS250 Sport).

The front was light, flickable, & yet still stable & planted, & inpired confidence. The rear was now showing the extra grip of the 255/40x18's,

and the wallowing over bumps was gone.

As stated above with standard 17" OE rims 35psi all round does seem to be a good compromise for all round grip and even tyre wear.

Depending on load & driving style this may or may not suit, so 1 or 2 psi up or down won't do any real harm, but should make a

noticeable difference good or bad. Wether or not it is a good or bad difference depends on your perceptions as a driver.

If you haven't already, maybe try 35psi all around, and see what you think.

Looks like I'll be upping mine on Friday then. Getting 2 new front tyres so might as well do it at the same time.

isnt this 35psi setting just for the IS or suitable for any model lexus ?

i've tried having 35psi in mine for the last month and doesnt feel quite the same, bit hard going and the front end seems to slide a bit under load so dropped them back down to 33psi and it feels a lot better for my type of driving style, even though on the front i havnt got the best of tyres but when i get some new ones fitted i'll give the 35psi another go to compare :)

i've tried having 35psi in mine for the last month and doesnt feel quite the same, bit hard going and the front end seems to slide a bit under load so dropped them back down to 33psi and it feels a lot better for my type of driving style, even though on the front i havnt got the best of tyres but when i get some new ones fitted i'll give the 35psi another go to compare :)

Our study showed 35psi beneficial for the IS200/300/SC.... as for the feel yes this may change but it's hobson's choice between tyre wear and comfort.

Our study showed 35psi beneficial for the IS200/300/SC.... as for the feel yes this may change but it's hobson's choice between tyre wear and comfort.

Yeh i must admit mate, i've gone for the comfort side at the moment but when i get my new tyres on i'll be knocking them back up to 35 as the wear on the tyres i have on now are wearing very even across the tread pattern since you worked your magic :D

I would prefer 36.25942 psi but why argue :whistling:

Point to remember everyone is that "within reason" the tyre pressures recommended by the manufacture are "suggestions" not law.. We all need to find our perfect pressure born from a little monitoring of the tyre wear and the feel from the handling...

Be warned though +- 1 or 2 psi is the range, please don't progress outside of that without absolute reason.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links