Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Test Drives

After 12 months of looking, and reading reviews I have taken the plunge and finally looking at buying Lexus IS200 sport. I have a test drive from Chester booked ( as they seemed more helpful than Liverpool and had better reviews)

is there anything I should look for when doing the test drive? This will be my first Lexus and it is compeating against an A4 Quattro. So far Lexus has won the dealership stakes.

My other question is are they fun to drive?

If I do venture for the Lexus I will no doubt have to go gold and join LOC.

Thanks for all your help

Hi Stevenage saint- welcome. Have a good look at the lines of the Lexus, low down, wide, aggressive! I fell for it with the first test drive, superb handling, not so much grunt but hey if i wanted that i'd have bought a Type-R. Lovely 6 speed box, just oozes class- enjoy :D

Do you have it for a 24hr test-drive? If you have a family get them in it playing with the toys. Take it on the motorway if you can but a must is on some twisty roads to see how you like the handling and comfort level. Perhaps that bit should be without the family though - I managed to make my youngest daughter throw up! :sick:

The 4200-6000 rev range is worth a try in a few gears although unless the demonstrator has done 10,000 miles or so it won't be quite at it's best. :whistling:

When I bought my first Lexus (I'm on my second now!) about a year & a half ago, I also looked at the A4 (the 1.8T Quattro). What swung it for me was....

- The cost of adding all the extras to the Audi to bring it up to the same spec as the 200SE made it much more expensive (and that's money you'll never get back in retained value).

- The styling of the Audi is pleasant, but really anonymous.

- Ride quality in the Lex was much more 'planted' (sure-footed?) despite the Audi's 4WD system.

- Ride is also more refined in the baby Lex

If it was none of the above, then the local Lexus dealership would have swung it alone. I took a 200SE out for 4hrs and the amazing thing was that the demonstrator was a 2yr old car that had covered 20K miles. The car was immaculate, it didn't squeak, rattle or do anything it shouldn't - I figured that any car car that was still that good after 2yrs had to be something special!! I don't know of any other mainstream dealer around here that would have the confidence to field a 2yr old car when tempting a buyer. I was then given a no-pressure 24hr test drive.... after which I bought my first (and have never regretted it)!! :) :) :)

UK Pulse

yes, Lexus does offer more of that extra ***** youll have to pay big bucks for at BMW, Merc Audi etc .. By doing that, Lexus ensures alot of notsureigIshouldbuyit that they will go for a Lex! Its a no-brainer, really..

My brother (we both just got reg. on this site) is buying that same type of car you were talking about, the car that has been lent out to people that has their Lex on service..and its only two yrs. old, white pearl, and hes getting it $10.000 cheaper than what the normal 01 mods. go for.... (Partly cuz I have a close frined that works at Lexus, Norway)

We took it out for a spin, and it was fab!!!!! He fell in love, (1.st time driving a Lexus) and was keener than before he heard the price.....

HazMatrazz

I was umming and ahhing between an A4 and an IS200 and finally went for the IS200 after pricing up all the A4 extras and working out that to get not quite as many toys would cost me close to £10k more :o

The A4 for me was bland in comparison as well, and it felt like I was sitting on it rather than in it. Ok, so the quattro system was nice, but not enough to sell the car to me.

The Lexus was much more my cup of tea, and after the dealer let me have one for a weekend to try out my mind was made up and I don't have any regrets.

yeah i agree with UK Pulse, when i had my test drive it was in a 3 year old IS with 45000 miles on the clock, and it ran perfectly. Not a single squeak or rattle anywhere and the engine was perfect.

went for a test drive in an '03' BMW 325 Sport Coupe (far far more expensive) the other day and the interior trim was rattling all over the shop, i couldn't believe it

the only thing that worried me when i bought the IS was that the BMW may be better (but was too expensive)

now i know the IS is the best thing out there :yahoo:

Thanks for the advice. I get the drive next month and have the car for around 6 hours thanks to the nice people in Chester, which is more than 2 Audi dealers niether have been in touch with me even though I wanted to look at buying one.

After reading what everyone says about it I think I will no doubt buy the Lexus. It will get a good run on the twisty roads in Cheshire so I can have an idea what it is like to drive into work. The other killer point for me was I saw a VW passat and A4 next to each other whilst in jam on M6 this morning and they look identical. I know they have the same floor plan but the could have done something to chang it apart for the badge!

Me thinks a Lexus will end up on my drive soon :D

The other killer point for me was I saw a VW passat and A4 next to each other whilst in jam on M6 this morning and they look identical. I know they have the same floor plan but the could have done something to chang it apart for the badge!

Actually the Passat shares the floorpan with the A6 and is a bigger car than the A4.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links