Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good Old Generous Bmw!

I had to laugh out loud when I read this on the autoexpress website.. It's basically a piece about the 320d ES Special Edition...

Based on the entry-level 320d, the ES features 16-inch alloy wheels plus sports suspension, a CD player, an M-Pack leather steering wheel and a sports gearknob over the usual trim.

I can't beleive you can pay 20 odd grand for a car and they describe these features as special!! Alloy wheels, heck, even Daewoo's have those these days, A CD Player! and an oh so useful leather steering wheel and gear stick.

Still, I'm sure they will sell by the barrow load to those who don't know any better!

BMW 3-series are bought by people who think having a BMW 'makes them look cool' ... I know a few 3-series owners.

Of course... what they don't realise is that BMW's have a bad reputation for inconsiderate drivers..

Okay, my apologies to any nice, normal BMW owners... I know there are some.

But from discussions in pubs and bars, it seems to be a general feeling....

BMW's are always sitting on your rear bumper in the fast lane of the motorway.. no matter how illegal your speed.

They never let you out of junctions....

They always cut you up.....

I'm sure it just a bad handful of drivers that give me such a bad opinion....

BMW's are always sitting on your rear bumper in the fast lane of the motorway.. no matter how illegal your speed.

What are you doing in the BMW lane on the motorway in the first place ?

You're just a Lexus driver .... and have NO right to be there ;)

No wonder they get jarred off at you.

I thought everybody knew that lane was 'BMW ONLY' :blink:

Well I must be as bad as them.. because I never let them out of a junction either!

I hope that will not be the case for me Mr Barnes :whistling:

no johnny, sure steve will let u out then toot his horn on the barge and knock u off into a ditch or something

joke

steve dnt get any ideas

What are you doing in the BMW lane on the motorway in the first place ?

You're just a Lexus driver .... and have NO right to be there ;)

No wonder they get jarred off at you.

I thought everybody knew that lane was 'BMW ONLY' :blink:

And Passat TDI man too!

• 3 months later...
I had to laugh out loud when I read this on the autoexpress website.. It's basically a piece about the 320d ES Special Edition...

Based on the entry-level 320d, the ES features 16-inch alloy wheels plus sports suspension, a CD player, an M-Pack leather steering wheel and a sports gearknob over the usual trim.

I can't beleive you can pay 20 odd grand for a car and they describe these features as special!! Alloy wheels, heck, even Daewoo's have those these days, A CD Player! and an oh so useful leather steering wheel and gear stick.

Still, I'm sure they will sell by the barrow load to those who don't know any better!

That's Auto Express's own words, their marketing puff - why are you paying attention to it?

Here's some marketing puff (paraphrased) about the IS200 I read in Australia once, which were also not the words of the manufacturer as they tried to flog me an IS200:

"The IS200 is dog slow, and features an weedy, outdated engine made of pig iron."

There. Now go sell your rebadged Altezzas at once :).

If Lexus wanted to sell more cars, and Toyota didn't have a diesel motor good enough for the mini-exec market, buying in the BMW's drivetrain would be a good place to start. L-R, and GM Vauxhall already have. You would also get a six-speed box, so current IS200 owners won't feel short-changed (as they would with a 318i or 320i), and you get the following performance figures (assuming kerb weights and final drive ratio are similar):

0-60 mph: 8.4 sec

0-100: 23.8 sec

30-70 in 4th: 7.8 sec

top speed: 129 mph

Figures an IS200 owner can only dream about, I'm sure you'll agree.

If you are willing to consider a diesel, and I appreciate there a some who never would, the question is: would you have sufficient strength of character to handle the fact that your diesel IS200 (DS200?) has a - wait for it - *BMW* (spit) engine?

What's worse than a BMW driver?

A BMW X5 driver.... and I can say that without fear of retribution from anyone - it's straight from the mouth of a friend who has one

He can sit in the BMW lane - it doesn't matter if there's someone behind him because he can speed up if he wants to, and he is doing the maximum speed he considers safe for the conditions........

He doesn't need to use his indicators because he can see over most of the other traffic on the road, and he KNOWS his manoeuvre will be safe........

So, now I know not to be so exasperated, because they are only acting for the common good, and to save us lesser drivers from putting ourselves in danger! ;)

Until recently this guy drove a GS300 ..... :duh:

I had to laugh out loud when I read this on the autoexpress website..  It's basically a piece about the 320d ES Special Edition...

I can't beleive you can pay 20 odd grand for a car and they describe these features as special!!  Alloy wheels, heck, even Daewoo's have those these days,  A CD Player! and an oh so useful leather steering wheel and gear stick. 

That's Auto Express's own words, their marketing puff - why are you paying attention to it?

Here's some marketing puff (paraphrased) about the IS200 I read in Australia once, which were also not the words of the manufacturer as they tried to flog me an IS200:

"The IS200 is dog slow, and features an weedy, outdated engine made of pig iron."

If Lexus wanted to sell more cars, and Toyota didn't have a diesel motor good enough for the mini-exec market, buying in the BMW's drivetrain would be a good place to start. L-R, and GM Vauxhall already have. You would also get a six-speed box, so current IS200 owners won't feel short-changed (as they would with a 318i or 320i), and you get the following performance figures (assuming kerb weights and final drive ratio are similar):

If you are willing to consider a diesel, and I appreciate there a some who never would, the question is: would you have sufficient strength of character to handle the fact that your diesel IS200 (DS200?) has a - wait for it - *BMW* (spit) engine?

Err, no thanks I'm quite happy with my 6 pot pig iron engine, and I'd sell my wife before I bought anything with a *** engine or any part in it!

I had to laugh out loud when I read this on the autoexpress website..  It's basically a piece about the 320d ES Special Edition...

I can't beleive you can pay 20 odd grand for a car and they describe these features as special!!   Alloy wheels, heck, even Daewoo's have those these days,  A CD Player! and an oh so useful leather steering wheel and gear stick.  

Err, no thanks I'm quite happy with my 6 pot pig iron engine, and I'd sell my wife before I bought anything with a *** engine or any part in it!

Given the fact that the new Mini-Diesel is be based on a Toyota Diesel engine, the idea of Lexus using a BMW Diesel may not be so far fetched.

I, for one, would not be disappointed to see the BMW 3.0 D engine in a Lexus.

If Lexus wanted to sell more cars, ...[snip]

They don't.

Lexus actually limit the number of cars they sell - the IS is seen by them as a low-volume niche car.

Besides, most of the people here don't seem to have anything against the design/mechanics of BMW motor cars. It's just that the car seems to attract more than it's fair share of 'bad' drivers :sick:

Yeah that's why they sell Americans IS300s with a stick  B)  and the British IS300s with an auto-box  :sick:  ! Sure keeps the numbers down  :whistling: .

Yup, you've got to wonder at their marketing strategy in the UK... :duh:

If they sold the manual IS300 over here, it would be on an even footing against the likes of BMW's 330 and I'd have bought one in preference to the auto at the drop of a hat! Trouble is it seems they didn't think a manual 3ltr IS fitted in with their UK image :iraqi-info-minister:

When I went to the Lexus Open Road event at Firle Place recently, I overhead an old guy talking to the Lexus lady & she mentioned that the only Lexus that came with a manual box was the 2ltr IS, to which he replied something along the lines of... "Why would anyone want a manual on one of these cars?". :yawn::yawn:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links