Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid Colours

jnash

im assuming that 8k is illegal

i have started off the day wanting 6k, i understand that if i get 8k (which is slowly persuading me) that i may have a problem with mot. i guess i want the brightest colour - like all the new cars.

6k the way to go?

im assuming that 8k is illegal

i have started off the day wanting 6k, i understand that if i get 8k (which is slowly persuading me) that i may have a problem with mot. i guess i want the brightest colour - like all the new cars.

6k the way to go?

Its up to you, but most have 6k fitted :D

from what i've heard the lower the rating the brighter the light. The higher it is, as said before, the more purple it is. I've got 6000k's fitted. They start blue and then go to white pretty quickly after turning them on.

You can get less than 6000K too, e.g. 4500K will be even brighter than 6000K (and even whiter).

I think that 6000K is a good compromise between being bright, and looking cool :)

Not true - K is simply a measure of the colour - Anything below 6000K will start to look yellow - like normal old style lights. 6000K = Bright White - anything either side of that will have either a yellow (lower) or blue/purple tint (higher)

Basically, I looked into this before buying my 6k ones, and concluded...

6k is fine, no problem.

8k may or may not pass MOT, dependant entirely on the tester. Some pass, some fail.

I decided that although i know an MOT centre that would have OK'd it, it's one more think for police to pull you over and have a go about! They don't seem to like your lights being more blue that theirs!

I've got 8300K and haven't had any problems, gone through the MOT fine and even got pulled over by the police as he wondered why my headlights were so bright :lol: (but I think he was just pulling me over as I was a young guy driving through central london on a Friday night in a bodykitted car..........). They really aren't that blue, yes they're bluer than OEM but still not really that blue - they're still clearly white. Anything higher though and I think you will be taking a risk.

So personally I don't think you'll have problems with 8300K, but I'd have to say there is a difference in light output so if I did it again I'd probably just go for the 4300K......... :unsure:

Having said that, I love the way they make catseyes and road signs glow B)

I've got 8300K and haven't had any problems, gone through the MOT fine and even got pulled over by the police as he wondered why my headlights were so bright :lol: (but I think he was just pulling me over as I was a young guy driving through central london on a Friday night in a bodykitted car..........). They really aren't that blue, yes they're bluer than OEM but still not really that blue - they're still clearly white. Anything higher though and I think you will be taking a risk.

So personally I don't think you'll have problems with 8300K, but I'd have to say there is a difference in light output so if I did it again I'd probably just go for the 4300K......... :unsure:

Having said that, I love the way they make catseyes and road signs glow B)

as a mot tester myself their is no rule in the vosa book about how bright your lights can be as long as they have the propper beam patteren!!and to be honest you would have to be a right plum to fail some ones lights even if they are a tad bright and blue asked a few of the testers at my work and the worst they'd do is give you advisory!!as your only going to put them back in the car again!!! :whistling:

I went for 6000k, looks just about right i'd say, as said the higher K you go the less light your gonna get. Depends what look your after though, most factory Xenons are 4300k and its the projector which creates the colour, so 4300k would give you the most light output.

Just ordered my conversion kit for £39.99 (thanks for the link rabster ;-)) went with the 6000k, will i need to have the heights etc setup or should they be pretty plug and play?

The beam height of mine was fine when I installed the HIDs. If you can park a few metres away from a wall and mark where the beam height is for the old lights, then you can compare when you get the new lights in. They'll be so bright you'll be able to pretty easily see where they're shining anyway, when you test them in the dark :)

Just ordered my conversion kit for £39.99 (thanks for the link rabster ;-)) went with the 6000k, will i need to have the heights etc setup or should they be pretty plug and play?

Could I get that link Dan in PM or on here, I feel left out.. Even though i want to get rid I still seem to be buying things for my car lol..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links