Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Random Pc Questions

Parthiban

I've got an HP desktop and I want to upgrade its RAM. Basically it has 1GB at the moment as 2 x 512MB. According to the specs, it has four slots, and the maximum allowed is 4GB arranged as 4 x 1GB.

Firstly, does this mean that I can leave the 2 512s in there and stick 2 x 1GBs in the two free slots, or do I need to replace the ones that are in there? Also if it says max 4 x 1GB, will the motherboard definitely not accept 2GB, or is it something that may work if I just stick it in?

Sorry if these questions are a bit basic, but I don't really know too much about the insides of a computer :blush:

I've got an HP desktop and I want to upgrade its RAM. Basically it has 1GB at the moment as 2 x 512MB. According to the specs, it has four slots, and the maximum allowed is 4GB arranged as 4 x 1GB.

Firstly, does this mean that I can leave the 2 512s in there and stick 2 x 1GBs in the two free slots, or do I need to replace the ones that are in there? Also if it says max 4 x 1GB, will the motherboard definitely not accept 2GB, or is it something that may work if I just stick it in?

Sorry if these questions are a bit basic, but I don't really know too much about the insides of a computer :blush:

I have an HP Pavillion and did the same last year. It had 2x512's. I bought a new 1 gb chip (1024) and just shoved into one of the spare slots. Low and behold I now have 2048 of RAM.

Simple pimple really. It'll be cheaper to buy one 1024 than to buy 2x512's.

From what I've heard you have to be warey with HP stuff as they say they accept 4GB ram max but actually on a lot of machines although they say 4GB, they will only accept 3GB. Have a look on the HP website and their support forums. The information which I have read is more related to their notebooks but I'm guessing theres a possibility that it could relate to desktops as well.

RAM is cheap as chips right now.

Go for 2 x 1gb.

It's ALWAYS worth getting RAM from a known named brand though - I prefer OCZ, but Corsair, Geil and G.Skill are good brands too.

If you're running a 32bit OS then it's impossible for it to use more than 4gb (which includes the vid ram) - so anything more than 3gb is wasted.

Cheers for that, I was thinking of getting PNY as I've used it before and it's always been fine, but I'll check those others out too. Yep it really is quite cheap to buy RAM at the mo which is why I was thinking it's a good time to upgrade :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this again, but just been looking at buying some and I've got myself confused.

The support page for my PC HERE says the speed supported is PC2-3200 MB/sec. However the page with the specs for the motherboard HERE says that the speeds supported are PC2 3200 (400 MHz), PC 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs.

This is also confirmed by the search engines on memory websites (like the crucial one) which show higher speeds as being compatible.

If I buy higher speed RAM, will it work? And if it does work will there be any difference, or am I just spending more money on something my machine won't use?

Also is the crucial stuff decent quality, as it seems very cheap?

If I buy higher speed RAM, will it work? And if it does work will there be any difference, or am I just spending more money on something my machine won't use?

Also is the crucial stuff decent quality, as it seems very cheap?

Yes, the higher speed stuff should still work fine but you won't notice any difference. Go for whichever is cheapest. Yes, Crucial memory should be fine.

I'd go for the same speed as is written on the side of the 512Mb sticks already in there, but hey thats's just me.

That way all the ram in the PC is running at the same speed.

The speed that the RAM runs at is determined by the motherboard/BIOS etc, you just need the RAM that you buy to have at least that speed specification. If it's cheaper to buy faster memory (it's often cheaper to buy almost the latest stuff and sometimes older slower stuff can be more expensive) then I would go with that, it'll still run at the speed determined by the motherboard (probably at a slower speed if the existing memory is slower).

I'd go for the same speed as is written on the side of the 512Mb sticks already in there, but hey thats's just me.

That way all the ram in the PC is running at the same speed.

The speed that the RAM runs at is determined by the motherboard/BIOS etc, you just need the RAM that you buy to have at least that speed specification. If it's cheaper to buy faster memory (it's often cheaper to buy almost the latest stuff and sometimes older slower stuff can be more expensive) then I would go with that, it'll still run at the speed determined by the motherboard (probably at a slower speed if the existing memory is slower).

Cool, thanks for that, crucial only does the 4200 stuff, so it would have meant buying somewhere else for more money if I had to stick to the same speed that's already in there :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links